Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

we are in the same state as Carr:

We need to build up the D.
We need to get better depth. 
We need to stay healthy.
We need to get better oline. 
We need to commit less penalties. 
We need our star players to make plays when they are there to help our QB out. 

These are not excuses for jimmy if he struggles, they are just problems that the Raiders have had for at least 20 years (outside of oline, weve been good there at times)

Agreed. The task is still the same. Even if we manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat and we draft a franchise QB - he will still need a better D, oline, depth and to have our FO and coaches build an actual team, who can execute collectively.

That’s what Zeig needs to do to turn this around

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Exactly my thought when the news came in. 

The one thing is I guess we get to see if McDaniels is in fact an offensive genius……..he’ll earn his money this year if he can get a decent offence going. I’ll be very, very impressed if our offence is actually good.

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Of all the versions of the Raiders in the last 20 years, this is my favorite because the fans hate it so much. It's entertaining to watch. 

In the past, everyone would sell themselves on a Gradkowski, Flynn, Pryor or McGloin level QB. They would try to buy into the least talented teams on paper imaginable. They'd stump for Gruden or a Jack Del Rio.  

Now, fans universally hate the Pats so much they just hate everything that comes with it. Really an interesting way things have turned.  

For me it is not a Patriots thing, in fact I believe Dave and Josh can turn this thing around which makes it sting all the more when they make a decision like this. We should have been all in on the top QB prospect and used our FA monery and remaining picks to build a team - giving the rookie some experience while we build. 

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

1. Rodgers would have to want to come here

2. Davis would have to want to pay Rodgers his huge contract

3. Ziegler would have to be okay with the draft assets given up + taking on that cap

4. This roster is not an Aaron Rodgers away from the Lombardi trophy

I don't get how people can so easily say just go get Lamar, just go get Rodgers!

If the roster isn’t close why bring in a 2 year mediocre bridge qb? To win 6 games and miss out on a top qb?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

fair but in terms of over paid and under paid, it is compared to what a player is worth around the league 
We paid Carr what 25 mil in 2022, and he was due 33 in 2023, which you said is over paying.
Yet he just signed a very similar deal. 

We have no idea what jimmy G was worth, but to sign in day 1 of FA, you typically are the highest bidder. . . which means overpaid. You paid someone more than anyone else was willing. 

But you are calling him not overpaid. 
yet in other threads say, FAs is all overpaid players. . . 

just because we signed Jimmy G, doesnt mean he is not over paid. 

He signed day 1, because we gave him a contract he didnt think anyone else would

Relative to QBs of his caliber, he is not overpaid. 

In my view this is 3 one year deals put together. He gets a small guarantee relative to QBs in his class with flexibility moving forward for the team.

Carr had a 40 mil roster bonus if he was not cut. And was just paid 100 mil guranteed. Definition of overpaying average. 

Jimmy is average. The contract is average. 

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Meh... this was obvious for months. Familiarity with the system. McDaniels hand picked him originally in NE.  

For the price, I'll take it. He's average but they are not overpaying him compared to Carr.  Steps into a talented offense. Needs to stay healthy. 

Most important, this give them flexibility in the draft. Don't have to force a pick or trade up in this class. 

What I don't like, keeps the Raiders in the middle. He's basically a cheaper Carr level QB that's a better system fit. Not as durable, but not scared to play in and out of the pocket. 

What makes you think he’ll stay healthy? He never has.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If the roster isn’t close why bring in a 2 year mediocre bridge qb? To win 6 games and miss out on a top qb?

the beef with Carr was we were in QB purgatory, now we are in purgatory but at a lower cost lol 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Carr got 100 mil guaranteed. That's all that matters in these contracts. 

And it's still being reported jimmy G getting 34M fully guranteed so that's 2 years of Jimmy G at 34M, 2 years of Carr for 70M.

And for those who want to count Carrs dead Cap it's still 31M saved over 2 years.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What would you have Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler do? Run with Garbers all season and all but seal their fate as GM/HC?

Had they re-signed Stidham or someone like that and said we are not sold on the 2023 draft class - waiting for a better prospect I would have been in on the rebuild but this just reinforces our mediocrity.

• Like 3