Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, true2form said:

I struggle more with this.

Carr was a perfectly fine QB his previous seasons under Gruden and beyond.  You could have argued he'd never get us anywhere and that may be true.  However, he didn't suddenly turn to crap last year.  JMD tried to take a square peg and put it in a round hole and it failed.  That's not on Carr imo, that's on JMD.  I give JMD credit for correcting that mistake and moving forward.  However, I'd like to think the better option is to bend yourself to your players strengths, not continue to force them to be who they're not.

I'm fairly confident that we would've gone to the playoffs last year if it wasn't for the coaching staffs ego's.  We still wouldn't have been great and would've been bounced quickly, but we lost too many games last year from coaching.  Hopefully they learn from those mistakes as well.

Carr stats in 2021 and 2022 were very similar . The only difference is that we made the playoffs one year due to favorable circumstances 

At the end of the day, he had 9 seasons starting and the team always seemed to be average under him. Carr not being accountable for his shortcomings on the field and calling out players when his play was off was the final straw. He lost the locker room 

Its time to move on. Jimmy G has been a winner his entire career. Let’s see if that rubs off on us too this season

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We're not talking about injury waivers we're talking about someone being signed BEFORE he could pass his physical(starting quarterback at that)

Exactly I think shefty said yesterday last time something like this happened was with a olinemen ocujobi or however you spell it and the jets iirc decided not to sign him

also happened here with safold the ot

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I struggle more with this.

Carr was a perfectly fine QB his previous seasons under Gruden and beyond.  You could have argued he'd never get us anywhere and that may be true.  However, he didn't suddenly turn to crap last year.  JMD tried to take a square peg and put it in a round hole and it failed.  That's not on Carr imo, that's on JMD.  I give JMD credit for correcting that mistake and moving forward.  However, I'd like to think the better option is to bend yourself to your players strengths, not continue to force them to be who they're not.

I'm fairly confident that we would've gone to the playoffs last year if it wasn't for the coaching staffs ego's.  We still wouldn't have been great and would've been bounced quickly, but we lost too many games last year from coaching.  Hopefully they learn from those mistakes as well.

Going to need you to explain this to me. 

The offense is very QB friendly. There are several flim break downs from JT O'Sullivan and others that show Carr didn't allow plays to develop, opting for quick check down passes. He didn't want to stand and deliver passes and take a hit. And he didn't want to run. Which, has been his issue since college. 

We lost a lot of games where the QB flat couldn't do anything for stretches at a time. There is a 9 year track record on Carr failing to put teams away. 

Coaching wasn't great and the QB failed to execute like the franchise QB he was paid to be. Both things can be true. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Imagine going to a Raider nation season hype meet ups they have for fans with this attitude. Talking s#%t about the team would get you checked immediately 

I go to games every year and I know team guys. My family used to have season tickets in the black hole. No one is getting "checked" for being realistic. But good try.

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s plenty of reasons to be positive that we can make the playoffs this season. I’m standing by my 10 win prediction and playoff spot

Raiders all day! Haters go find another team

You’re not wrong, there are reasons to be positive for sure, though we have made a number of, shall we say, questionable decisions too. 

What I don’t understand is the childish calling of names like ‘haters’. It’s like something my 5 year old daughter would do 😁

I don’t believe anyone here ‘hates’ the Raiders. They do however, have every right to express optimism like you, pessimism like some and criticise certain moves without people calling them childish names. I think most liked the draft for example, that was generally positive. Calling out suspect moves is not ‘hating’ on the team, it’s merely expressing an opinion that has some reasonable grounds.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

You’re not wrong, there are reasons to be positive for sure, though we have made a number of, shall we say, questionable decisions too. 

What I don’t understand is the childish calling of names like ‘haters’. It’s like something my 5 year old daughter would do 😁

I don’t believe anyone here ‘hates’ the Raiders. They do however, have every right to express optimism like you, pessimism like some and criticise certain moves without people calling them childish names. I think most liked the draft for example, that was generally positive. Calling out suspect moves is not ‘hating’ on the team, it’s merely expressing an opinion that has some reasonable grounds.

Agreed, as long as people don’t go out of the way to look for criticisms and their take is objective then I have no issue.

At times with Carr to me we had people that were just looking for reasons to pile on him now we have the same for the Front office. 

• Like 2

I understand the reasons for moving on from Carr and I get why we went for Jimmy G, the issue for me is the size of the contract.

Given his injury history, the fact that he still has an injury and has to have further surgery, why we did we give him so much money? $45m is expensive imo and I would have thought we could have got him cheaper than that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dessie said:

I understand the reasons for moving on from Carr and I get why we went for Jimmy G, the issue for me is the size of the contract.

Given his injury history, the fact that he still has an injury and has to have further surgery, why we did we give him so much money? $45m is expensive imo and I would have thought we could have got him cheaper than that. 

Totally agree, we’re stuck between two stools. We’ve neither gone with an upgrade at QB nor have we saved a ton of money. I’d rather us have gone one way or the other but it seems like we’re in no man’s land.

Saying that, I do hope Garoppolo proves us wrong and proves he ‘is a winner’ and drags this rag tag bunch to the playoffs, that would be something!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Totally agree, we’re stuck between two stools. We’ve neither gone with an upgrade at QB nor have we saved a ton of money. I’d rather us have gone one way or the other but it seems like we’re in no man’s land.

Saying that, I do hope Garoppolo proves us wrong and proves he ‘is a winner’ and drags this rag tag bunch to the playoffs, that would be something!

Yeah I am hopeful he can drag us to the playoffs, just wish he was cheaper so we could something more for the roster. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Going to need you to explain this to me. 

The offense is very QB friendly. There are several flim break downs from JT O'Sullivan and others that show Carr didn't allow plays to develop, opting for quick check down passes. He didn't want to stand and deliver passes and take a hit. And he didn't want to run. Which, has been his issue since college. 

We lost a lot of games where the QB flat couldn't do anything for stretches at a time. There is a 9 year track record on Carr failing to put teams away. 

Coaching wasn't great and the QB failed to execute like the franchise QB he was paid to be. Both things can be true. 

Well I'd disagree right off the bat.  Every one and their mama says JMD needs a specific QB to play in his offense.  Is that not accurate?  I personally see it as he wants a yes man/noob with no "bad" habits.  Others have said the offense is very complex too.  Not sure where you get that from.

Film breakdowns can be misleading. Anyone can point out the message they want because every QB has bad plays.  I'm not saying he did that, but I'd have to watch it for myself.  I'm also not trying to change anyone's opinion of Carr.  If you think he sucked that's fine. 

You're correct.  Our offense disappeared in the 2nd half in a lot of games.  I'm simply not putting it all on Carr.  That doesn't mean he didn't deserve blame, but he wasn't alone.  WRs running wrong routes, defense completely non-existent for stretches, play calling absolutely abysmal at times.   They were all factors in blowing so many leads.

You can say 9 years of Carr not getting it done and that's true.  I can say Carr was clutch for 8 years and strangely not in 1 year and that also can be true.  

We all agree that Carr didn't have a good season.  I'm more interested in the why.  Maybe some of you guys are right, it was just Carr stinking it up.  I hope you're right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Carr stats in 2021 and 2022 were very similar . The only difference is that we made the playoffs one year due to favorable circumstances 

At the end of the day, he had 9 seasons starting and the team always seemed to be average under him. Carr not being accountable for his shortcomings on the field and calling out players when his play was off was the final straw. He lost the locker room 

Its time to move on. Jimmy G has been a winner his entire career. Let’s see if that rubs off on us too this season

He's gone, you don't have to do this anymore.

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Imagine going to a Raider nation season hype meet ups they have for fans with this attitude. Talking s#%t about the team would get you checked immediately 

maybe in Oakland, not in Vegas lol