Josh Oliver Signs 3 Year Deal With Vikings

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Disagree with the first part.  One player can only do so much.  OL problems aren’t on TE any more than on Darrisaw (when healthy) or O’Neill.  
Agree with not addressing IOL

It was an opportunity cost.... Signing a blocking TE that plays less than half the snaps meant they didn't have money for IoL.... Also, an actual OG plays every play. 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:48 PM, CriminalMind said:

Still think this was a bad move. 

They should build the trenches, the OL who plays ~99% of snaps (run and pass plays) is so much more valuable then a blocking TE playing on some run plays. 

I just don’t understand

Maybe give it more than two games then. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

How many games do you want to give it? Before calling it a non optional allocation of resources

I think the word you are looking for is “optimal”, and I would like to see the team healthy before passing final judgement.

in a vacuum, Oliver has played well for someone taking up 1.1% of the salary cap.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm just curious as to when Modkins starts taking the blame.  He's the RB coach and run game coordinator and the running game has gotten worse the longer we go on.  

I blame him and O’Connell more for the issues with the run game than I do Kwesi and players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I blame him and O’Connell more for the issues with the run game than I do Kwesi and players. 

That's where I'm leaning to myself.  I think the fact that the running game wasn't all that effective with Dalvin last year and that's continued (and even gotten worse) despite the emphasis on improving it with the addition of Oliver means it has to be the scheme that's the problem, not the players.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's where I'm leaning to myself.  I think the fact that the running game wasn't all that effective with Dalvin last year and that's continued (and even gotten worse) despite the emphasis on improving it with the addition of Oliver means it has to be the scheme that's the problem, not the players.

I think the issue is two-fold, the run game appears worse when they do try to run which is leading them to not even attempt to run the ball. Mattison is a rhythm runner and needs to get into a groove but how many times can you give him the ball with little to no results?

We don't run the ball because we're bad at it and we're bad at it because we don't run the ball

Edited by Wundy
  • Like 1

I agree to an extent, but it wasn't very effective last year either. 

I think this last game it was necessary to get away from running the ball because of how far they were behind, however, in most situations, KOC is going to have to learn how to stick with it and not abandon it completely. 

Because, like it or not, they have to learn how to run the ball to put teams away. Passing the ball a lot tends to lead to shorter drives and then puts their defense in bad situations and wears them out(which certainly happened this last game). 

It's the old adage of games being decided on running the ball and stopping the run. 

Edited by swede700