Josh Oliver Signs 3 Year Deal With Vikings

gopherwrestler

If a team consistently uses void years and other devices to push salary cap charges to the future they can essentially play each year paying players an an amount equal to whatever the salary cap will be at in 2-3 years.  But the salary cap is still real.  Beyond the cap, it takes an owner willing to spend money beyond the amount allocated by the salary cap.  We can thank Wilf for that.  Kwesi wouldn't be able to do it without Wilf's willingness. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If a players contract runs out with void years at the end,  are they still eligible for compensatory picks?

No as a general rule, but there was a scenario were Dalvin Tomlinson was going to factor in for next year.

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

No as a general rule, but there was a scenario were Dalvin Tomlinson was going to factor in for next year.

the scenario is if the original contract contained void years. But if it was restructured to add void years, it wont count against the comp formula.

that is my understanding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

the scenario is if the original contract contained void years. But if it was restructured to add void years, it wont count against the comp formula.

that is my understanding.

I thought it was the opposite, where if void years were added the team would not be eligible for a comp selection.

14 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I thought it was the opposite, where if void years were added the team would not be eligible for a comp selection.

Only on the original contract. If it is restructured with void years it still counts. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the new CBA.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Only on the original contract. If it is restructured with void years it still counts. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the new CBA.

Right, DT94's original contract contained the void years (to my knowledge), they weren't added, so he should be eligible for the comp formula.

Kirk would not be eligible since he just had void years added.

Or is it the opposite?

Granted it is a moot point with the additions of Oliver, Davenport, Murphy and Lowry and the losses of Tomlinson and Peterson.

• 2 months later...

During free agency, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made the reasonably stunning move to hand over a 3-year deal to TE Josh Oliver. In his opening season, Oliver will carry a cap hit just beyond $2.5 million. The 6’5″ tight end is said to be around 250 pounds, but the recent word is that he’s far larger than the listed total. Phillips puts him above 270 pounds.

To be clear, T.J. Hockenson is going to remain the TE1 in 2023. The former Lion is an excellent pass catcher, someone capable of doing plenty of damage in the short and intermediate areas of the field. Oliver’s role is to be the bully. The massive tight end was a Jacksonville 3rd-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft, an indicator that there was optimism about his ability to shine in the NFL. 

Wes Phillips: "Kinda the interesting thing about Josh is coming out he was really more of a pass catcher. He was like, “Oh, he’s got the size, but we’re going to have to teach this guy how to block if we were to bring him in." Because he caught a lot of passes at San Jose and he ran 4.5-something. So he’s got, when he gets that train rolling, he’s just a tough cover just due to his size, his length, his catch radius."

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/top_news/vikings-oc-freight-train/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

With the contract they gave Oliver, I think they have some pretty specific usages in mind. He's definitely going to be in the goal line and jumbo packages, but I think we might get to see him lining up in the backfield too. He's athletic enough to stretch the field too. If he's able to put it together, even a little bit, our red zone, goal lline, and jumbo sets could be fantastic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Oliver has never caught more than 14 passes in a season in the NFL. I think he'll take over for Mundt as an easy checkdown option in 2 TE sets, but upgrade the run blocking unit.

good thing you're not the coach or calling plays, lol. they wouldn't have signed him to the contract they did to just use him as a secondary checkdown receiver.

he'll be part of the illusion of complexity approach, i betcha.