Josh Oliver Signs 3 Year Deal With Vikings

gopherwrestler

Not a fan of this move at this time, even if this is “fair market value”. a blocking TE, when i suspect we’re going to try and throw downfield more…. We still have IOL positions to potentially sign. I would have liked to see them go after way more impactful FAs earlier in the process, but of course FAs might also have less interest in a viking rebuilding plan (2023). 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

That's an interesting Vikings move. I don't mind it in terms of the position and the need to improve there. We were thin at times and Hockenson is more of a receiving threat and Oliver is a great blocker. Still it's an interesting move for the Vikings. And I'm not sure I wanted the extra cap going into that position. 

This move shows me that the Vikings have plans on both sides of the ball. It also doesn't mean that they can't, or won't, make other moves. The particulars of the deal don't look bad at all. If you can get a player who is the best in the league at something for 3 years/$10.75MM guaranteed, it's probably a good signing. This move either makes Dalvin Cook more palatable, thereby increasing the value we get from his bloated contract, or makes the next guy's job easier and allows us to move on from Dalvin with more confidence.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is so silly. You don't actually believe this.

Signing a player that did his job BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE is a bad thing because a cheap player that doesn't even play the position could somehow do it better?

I never said he'd be a better player....I said given teh holes and the cap space and lack of draft picks, I'd use the money differently. 

58 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Bye bye to my dreams of Darnell Washington being a Viking.

He would have been gone by the time the Vikings picked anyway, possibly to Detroit.  Washington would have been way cheaper, no question about it, and is a better pass catcher.  

$7 mil a year for a TE like Josh Oliver seems steep but the dude is a physical freak and a great blocker, so I am game for it.  Use more two TE sets and then that makes Osborn the #2 WR not the #3 potentially.  Or one could consider Hockensen the 2nd or 3rd WR in a way just at the TE spot.

I like the change from being a finesse football team which is what they were last season.  Now do they stay with Cook or go with the draft and cut Cook.  Honestly I would be more afraid of an offense with Bijan Robinson/Hockensen/Oliver than Cook/Hockensen/Oliver because Bijan is more physical than Cook.

• Like 2