Taylor Heinicke to the Falcons: In Memoriam Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

His biggest supporter got fired too. Who knows how he'll do in a completely new system. Wish him all the Luck in Atlanta ! Great person, teammate. Probably best he's not returning . Man I hate the F A s that out there now though . UGH !~

Honestly I don't mind a lot of what is left for Back-Up QB. I'd take Minshew, Dalton, Rudolph, Brissett, Bridgewater or Flacco all day to be the back up. I want nothing to do with Mariota or Mayfield however. Also expect a little nostalgia attempt with a Rypien signing too.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly I don't mind a lot of what is left for Back-Up QB. I'd take Minshew, Dalton, Rudolph, Brissett, Bridgewater or Flacco all day to be the back up. I want nothing to do with Mariota (same) or Mayfield however. Also expect a little nostalgia attempt with a Rypien signing too.

Pretty open to that list too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly I don't mind a lot of what is left for Back-Up QB. I'd take Minshew, Dalton, Rudolph, Brissett, Bridgewater or Flacco all day to be the back up. I want nothing to do with Mariota or Mayfield however. Also expect a little nostalgia attempt with a Rypien signing too.

Rypien, hadn't thought of him. I would like some kid with an upside rather than a retread.

This is a hate to see him go, but love to watch him leave type of thought for me. I really like TH because he seems like a real guys guy and he did give us sparks and saved us a couple times in dire needs, but as long as he was here, the Heinicke Hive was going to exist and it would be to the detriment of Howell. If Howell really is going to succeed, I really think he had to go. It's not because of Taylor at all because he truly is a team guy, it's the fans. 

• Like 2

I will remember his time here fondly.  Sorry to see him go as I thought he would be a really good backup for Howell, but congratulations to Heinicke.  He contributed a lot to this team in a time of need.  He had his limitations and we may have seen his ceiling, but it still gave us a lot to cheer for, certainly as much as any other qb in recent years and who doesn't like rooting for the ultimate underdog.

I don’t really get this for the Falcons, much like I wouldn’t have gotten it for us if we had chosen to pay Taylor $7M+ per year. And it has absolutely nothing to do with him, as a person or player. Aside from the fact that I think that (like every QB) he’s substantially less valuable if he doesn’t have years worth of experience in your system.

I guess my question is, in what scenario do the Falcons look back and view this as a win?

If he beats out Ridder for the job, that’s a nightmare for them. TH is not The Guy™️, and that would mean that Ridder clearly isn’t either. TH is probably too good for them to be absolutely awful, though, so you’re living in mediocrity world with this outcome. 

So let’s say Ridder beats him out. In what scenario are you getting $7M+ AAV of value out of TH over the next two seasons? The only way I see that investment mattering is if the Falcons prove to be genuinely good — which will require Ridder to be good, a big “if” in my book — and Ridder misses a few games per year.

Otherwise, it’s just an expensive unused insurance policy (if Ridder doesn’t ever get hurt) at best. Most likely, they continue to be mediocre, and they blew $7M a year on a guy to sit behind Ridder instead of helping him by bringing in players who can be on the field with him. 

• Like 1

All that said, I’m very happy for Taylor. He seems like a good teammate, and there were times that it was really really fun watching him play. That dive for the pylon against TB in the playoffs will live forever.

Now let’s go get ourselves a backup QB for the vet minimum and show Kyle Smith and his new friends how it should be done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don’t really get this for the Falcons, much like I wouldn’t have gotten it for us if we had chosen to pay Taylor $7M+ per year. And it has absolutely nothing to do with him, as a person or player. Aside from the fact that I think that (like every QB) he’s substantially less valuable if he doesn’t have years worth of experience in your system.

I guess my question is, in what scenario do the Falcons look back and view this as a win?

If he beats out Ridder for the job, that’s a nightmare for them. TH is not The Guy™️, and that would mean that Ridder clearly isn’t either. TH is probably too good for them to be absolutely awful, though, so you’re living in mediocrity world with this outcome. 

So let’s say Ridder beats him out. In what scenario are you getting $7M+ AAV of value out of TH over the next two seasons? The only way I see that investment mattering is if the Falcons prove to be genuinely good — which will require Ridder to be good, a big “if” in my book — and Ridder misses a few games per year.

Otherwise, it’s just an expensive unused insurance policy (if Ridder doesn’t ever get hurt) at best. Most likely, they continue to be mediocre, and they blew $7M a year on a guy to sit behind Ridder instead of helping him by bringing in players who can be on the field with him. 

I mean he is an adult in the room with Ridder to show him the ropes of the NFL. Ridder’s only 23 he’s practically a kid. Also, even if he doesn’t know the playbook at least he should be able to run a similar style offense as a decently mobile QB. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We paid Fitzpatrick $10M to be our starter and he was 39-years old and sucked. Heinicke was worth what he got and we could afford it. Not to mention I'm sure the $20M total is heavily incentivized. I would have to guess we get someone extremely cheap. 

It's basically $7M per and then with incentives he can make another $3m per.