Week 13 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Chicago Bears

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

The flip side of this is how well the offensive line performed with a decisive QB with a real ability to move around the pocket. PFF isn't my preferred go-to for football review, but it's worth noting that most of the linemen scored much better in this game than others. There are certainly other factors as to why that occurred, but Garoppolo certainly made the offense look a whole lot better as a whole. For one day, at least.

And I agree, we'll probably need to draft high to get Nelson, but I would still prefer to just see the team play like it did yesterday (with more TDs) for the rest of the season and win as many games as possible. A young team learning how to win and building momentum heading into 2018 is just as big to me. And if the line continues to look like it did yesterday, then maybe we even look another direction in the 1st.

I would have disagreed pre-Jimmy trade. Lose the games, get Darnold/Rosen. But with the performance we just watched, I think it's absolutely about winning games now. Get these young guys building confidence and that will motivate them to be even better next year.

The team is becoming somewhat reminiscent of the talent growth/buildup to 2010. Albeit, different strengths between position groups,  but same trend. In 2010, we knew we at least had young guys who flashed (At least) starting potential capability at every position. 

Then:

DB's: Brock, Tarrell Brown, Goldson

LB: Willis, Brooks, Bow (Albeit, no one saw Bow coming)

DL: Smith, McDonald, RJF

OL: Iuapati, Staley, Davis

WR/TE: Crabtree, VD, Delaine 

RB: Gore, Boobie Dixon (lol, good st'er though)

QB: Smith

Now: 

LB: Foster

DL: Buckner, Thomas, Blair

DB: Tartt, Reid, Colbert, Akhello, Ward(Health might make this null)

OL: Brown, Staley, possibly Garnett. 

WR/TE: Kittle, Taylor, Goodwin

QB: Jimmy G

Pretty excited for the first time in a long time. 

8 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Soooooo cool. Exciting to have a QB with real, palpable potential! Still hoping we don't win too many more games...I know, terrible fan, right?! :$ Want good picks! May need to draft high if we want Nelson.

I would have been happy for Gould to have missed the kick.  I'm not a big believer in "momentum", certainly not from one season to the next.  Too much changes. In any case "momentum" can simply be in playing well, getting better, learning how to play as a team, etc. I don't believe missing that kick would affect next season one bit at all, except to the extent it costs us draft position, and possibly draft picks because of the value of a trade-down.

21 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I watched his press conference, and damn, when he told his perspective on that play, it just blew my mind. He's just so aware of what's going on. Does anyone thing Kap could have done something like that, even 5 years into his career, with all the starting experience he's had? He has the brains, and has the arm to match. Just so much to be optimistic about.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

I would have been happy for Gould to have missed the kick.  I'm not a big believer in "momentum", certainly not from one season to the next.  Too much changes. In any case "momentum" can simply be in playing well, getting better, learning how to play as a team, etc. I don't believe missing that kick would affect next season one bit at all, except to the extent it costs us draft position, and possibly draft picks because of the value of a trade-down.

I agree with you about the momentum. It doesn't really transfer from one year to another. But I look forward to our young players growing through the end of the year. 

7 hours ago, Geek said:

Very nice read. Honestly, Jimmy looked better than he should have in a first start. He looked like what we've been waiting for since 98.

14 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I watched his press conference, and damn, when he told his perspective on that play, it just blew my mind. He's just so aware of what's going on. Does anyone thing Kap could have done something like that, even 5 years into his career, with all the starting experience he's had? He has the brains, and has the arm to match. Just so much to be optimistic about.

No. No way Kaep could pull off any of what we have already seen from Jimmy G. Is that hyperbole? Hmmmmm....I don't think so. Especially after reading the WaPo story linked above. An audible? I don't recall Kaep doing much of those. Nor the nice touch passes but most especially reading the D. That was Kaep most glaring weakness. 

Colin K also had a good first outing against the Bears in his very first ever start. Even though his success was limited in the NFL, I don't think that meant that Colin was out there coloring by number so to speak. Truth of the matter is what no one knows what goes on in meetings. Don't think Colin was just twiddling his thumbs the entire time though. 

Garoppolo's pocket presence and ability to stay under pressure is the most impressive quality he has. It will be interesting to see how he fares against a team with a good front 7 though. Jaguars will be the biggest test coming up before the Rams game....That is if the Rams even play their starters.

Speaking of the Bears, they were decimated with injuries to their front 7 and secondary, and yet Fangio still had the defense playing solid ball. They held us to 15 points with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers. For them to be an above average defense with lets be real, mediocre AT BEST talent is pretty impressive. I have no doubt he could have our unit playing at even a better level than the Bears are right now. 

16 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I agree with you about the momentum. It doesn't really transfer from one year to another. But I look forward to our young players growing through the end of the year. 

Yes, this. 100%.  The other thing to remember is we have what seems like half a team's worth of injured guys coming back next year in addition to any FAs we sign and to our draft.  Get Jimmy some experiene in our system these last few games and get more experience for our young guys.  I'm already getting excited about next year.

He looked so good it's hard to keep in mind that going into that game he had thrown fewer than 100 passes in the NFL.  Lots of practice reps in a great system, with a great coach and mentoring from a great QB.  still game experience matters, and for all the world he looked like he'd been doing it for 94 previous games, not 94 previous attempts. Just so freakin impressive!

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

You can watch highlights on NFL's YouTube channel. 

@steadypimpin

Or you can pay $30 or whatever for NFL rewind and watch the whole game (or any game this season) with the commercials edited out. They also have 30 minute versions of games that they cut out the time between plays and its rapid fire. 

Archived