Bears sign Robert Tonyan

beardown3231

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

That is a quality price for a good backup TE…much like Edwards have to wonder if he just really wanted to come home.

These are a really smart kind of deal for a rebuilding team like ours too. A 2023 upgrade with no commitment to tie up future cap. I’d expect to see more veteran signings like this over the next several weeks. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

These are a really smart kind of deal for a rebuilding team like ours too. A 2023 upgrade with no commitment to tie up future cap. I’d expect to see more veteran signings like this over the next several weeks. 

It would be great if one of these cheap vet signings turns out to be a pleasant surprise.   Poles has not had much luck with it yet.

That being said, I don’t disagree with the logic of it.  I would do same to an extent.  You take guys that have had success in past or have plus traits that are at a bargain rate and hope you strike gold.   

He did that with a bunch of guys last year.  Unfortunately ball didn’t bounce his way on any of them.  

Kind of crazy, with that many at least one should have hit just be sheer chance.  

I think part of problem was lack of multipliers around them.  When you play with great players you have more opportunities to shine.  

Edited by dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It would be great if one of these cheap vet signings turns out to be a pleasant surprise.   Poles has not had much luck with it yet.

That being said, I don’t disagree with the logic of it.  I would do same to an extent.  You take guys that have had success in past or have plus traits that are at a bargain rate and hope you to strike gold.   

He did that with a bunch of guys last year.  Unfortunately ball didn’t bounce his way on any of them.  

Kind of crazy, with that many at least one should have hit just be sheer chance.  

I think part of problem was lack of multipliers around them.  When you play with great players you have more opportunities to shine.  

He definitely needs an Akiem Hicks type signing 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He definitely needs an Akiem Hicks type signing 

Tbh I'd live to see Hicks come back just to back up Billings at NT. 20 reps a game for $3 mil or so and he gets his last year or two in Chicago. Would be a hell of a leader again and if the Bears go get Mazi, Ika, Benton or Dexter then they have a guy for them to follow and watch. 

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Tbh I'd live to see Hicks come back just to back up Billings at NT. 20 reps a game for $3 mil or so and he gets his last year or two in Chicago. Would be a hell of a leader again and if the Bears go get Mazi, Ika, Benton or Dexter then they have a guy for them to follow and watch. 

He said on Chicago Bears podcast he doesn’t want to sign older players.  He was more diplomatic in wording. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He said on Chicago Bears podcast he doesn’t want to sign older players.  He was more diplomatic in wording. 

I know and i dont expext him to sign Hicks either, but Poles isnt fielding a whole team where everyone is under 27 regardless of how many young guys he wants to sign. Having depth that is older isn't an issue imo, having starters that are older/injury prone is more concerning. 

I'd like some veteran leadership, which is why I was fine with the idea of signing Hicks. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

He may not want to, but he showed last year in bringing in Reiff and Schofield that he will where necessary. Stop gaps are necessary at some point, though not likely until post-draft. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He may not want to, but he showed last year in bringing in Reiff and Schofield that he will where necessary. Stop gaps are necessary at some point, though not likely until post-draft. 

I think the only thing I would add here is as much as stop gaps aren’t needed he does need to bring in some more vets before the draft to allow him to draft the best players rather than just fill in a depth chart…the more holes he can fill to give him the most flexibility the better…I have no doubt we will continue to see Poles do that over the coming weeks and keep getting bargains like Foreman & Tonyan who fill roles.

30 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Idiot packers fan in the nfl news Tonyan thread is trolling hard but I feel like with the bears shortly on their way up and packers in the suicide spiral down, he really needs this. 

He can't handle the truth and if Love was my starting QB I wouldn't be talking smack about Fields.....

22 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Imagine how bad we would have been without Jason Peters a few years back.  They got him off a fishing boat.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Idiot packers fan in the nfl news Tonyan thread is trolling hard but I feel like with the bears shortly on their way up and packers in the suicide spiral down, he really needs this. 

Fool Jets are taking their albatross off their hands and giving them something for it.

I hope it blows up and they walk.   Make them eat the Queen of Spades (Hearts reference).