Vikings sign DL Dean Lowry (2 yrs/$8.5M)

swede700

The Vikings announced that Lowry has agreed to terms on a contract with the team on Friday. He has spent all seven of his NFL seasons with the Packers.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that it is a two-year, $8.5 million for Lowry.

Lowry joined the Packers as a fourth-round pick in 2016 and he started 80 of the 111 games he played in Green Bay. He had 252 tackles, 15.5 sacks, an interception, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery in those appearances and added 15 tackles in eight games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/17/vikings-sign-dean-lowry/

TBH, I've ragged on Lowry a lot during his time but he's a quality depth player. Durable as hell, eats a lot of snaps and flashes. 15.5 sacks during his time here is nothing to sneeze at. Not great in the run game especially if he's inside trying to anchor. 

Honestly not sure about him playing in Minnesota. Felt he was best late in the season when it got colder out at Lambeau. 

Overall, good depth player but he'll end up on the wrong end of some highlight reels when he gets blown off the spot by a guard in the run game. Ends up on the ground a little too much in that department. 

From Packfanfb

A bit expensive for a player ideally used in strict pass rush situations.

1 minute ago, solidvikingfan said:

From Packfanfb

A bit expensive for a player ideally used in strict pass rush situations.

An AAV of $4.25MM isn't bad for a solid rotational pass rush piece. And, in reality, that number is almost certainly less than $4.25MM a year. The 2/$8.5MM is the agent's number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings announced that Lowry has agreed to terms on a contract with the team on Friday. He has spent all seven of his NFL seasons with the Packers.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that it is a two-year, $8.5 million for Lowry.

Lowry joined the Packers as a fourth-round pick in 2016 and he started 80 of the 111 games he played in Green Bay. He had 252 tackles, 15.5 sacks, an interception, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery in those appearances and added 15 tackles in eight games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/17/vikings-sign-dean-lowry/

Sounds like we’re about to be trolled by Packers fans and our love for signing their old players, which hasn’t happened in awhile it feels like. 

• Like 1

I’ll wait to see the actual numbers on this, i think/hope it will be lower then these numbers suggests. If the numbers are as presented for the most part, I think it’s likely too pricey for the value/production. 

needless too say, I’m hoping only 1 year is gaureented and/or there is incentives built into the $8.5M figure. 

If he can get the same amount of pressure that Tomlinson got at an even cheaper price then I think this is a good deal.  I’m sure with the way that Flores has 5 techs lineup in the formation will help mask some of his deficiencies in the run game.