Vikings sign DL Dean Lowry (2 yrs/$8.5M)

swede700

17 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I didn't....I would... But I don't see long term assets being signed either, other than a blocking tight end. Hard to rebuild with only short term deals. 

Long term assets are acquired through the draft. Free agency in most cases should be used to fill gaps along the way. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They’re reloading for 2023, which is smart. You shouldn’t be using free agency to build long term. Historically it’s a bad investment.

3 out of their 4 FA aquisitions are also only 25/26 years old. If they play well Vikings will want to keep them 

Not a bad signing and is pretty cheap honestly for vet like him.  Dude can hold the edge and has great size for the position.  Decent pickup and makes it more obvious that they are sticking with the 3/4 D.

With Davenport's ability to just bull rush and collapse the pocket, I would not mind trying him as a 3/4 DE at times and put Jones/Wonnum as that other edge opposite Hunter.

DE Lowry
NT Tonga
DE Davenport

Now just need a ILB and there are a few still out there.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not a bad signing and is pretty cheap honestly for vet like him.  Dude can hold the edge and has great size for the position.  Decent pickup and makes it more obvious that they are sticking with the 3/4 D.

With Davenport's ability to just bull rush and collapse the pocket, I would not mind trying him as a 3/4 DE at times and put Jones/Wonnum as that other edge opposite Hunter.

DE Lowry
NT Tonga
DE Davenport

Now just need a ILB and there are a few still out there.  

What happens to Harrison Phillips?

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What happens to Harrison Phillips?

Probably starts at NT and Tonga spells him, rotation of guys by honestly as a pure 3/4 DE I would say Lowry is better than Phillips.  Phillips was decent last year but was also pretty lacking in a few areas.  Got better later in the year.  

Still in terms of holding the edge and getting a consistent push as a 3/4 DE, Davenport and Lowry are better than Phillips.  Lowry had more sacks in one year than Phillips had his entire five year career.  With Phillips hustle and motor NT could be a decent spot for him if Tonga does not continue to progress.  

Still say Davenport should be on the edge and not a standup OLB, he would be awful in coverage but all depends on how Wonnum and Jones play and if Z.Smith is gone which I assume he is.  Because if not then no reason to get Davenport unless one considers him a 3/4 DE.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Probably starts at NT and Tonga spells him, rotation of guys by honestly as a pure 3/4 DE I would say Lowry is better than Phillips.  Phillips was decent last year but was also pretty lacking in a few areas.  Got better later in the year.  

Still in terms of holding the edge and getting a consistent push as a 3/4 DE, Davenport and Lowry are better than Phillips.  Lowry had more sacks in one year than Phillips had his entire five year career.  With Phillips hustle and motor NT could be a decent spot for him if Tonga does not continue to progress.  

Still say Davenport should be on the edge and not a standup OLB, he would be awful in coverage but all depends on how Wonnum and Jones play and if Z.Smith is gone which I assume he is.  Because if not then no reason to get Davenport unless one considers him a 3/4 DE.  

I’m still not convinced that we are getting rid of Za’darius Smith this year.  With how much blitzing this new defense will use I wouldn’t be surprised to see looks where Hicks leaves the field and ZaDarius slides into the other MLB spot and Davenport moves into ZaDarius’ OLB spot.  Hicks is already a liability in coverage so it’s not like it would be a huge difference between him and ZaDarius in that spot.  At the same time ZaDarius gets his best pressures up the middle.  Davenport is great at getting pressure and setting the edge which can keep QBs from rolling away from ZaDarius..

Hunter-Asamoah-Smith-Davenport