Bears Fan Psychology: NFL Draft

Ty21

19 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I didn't hate the Turbisky pick at the time, but I hated giving SF 2 3rds and a 4th to move up one spot when they were taking Solomon Thomas.   But that who Ryan Pace was, always in win now mode and giving away draft picks like candy.   

Trade was to make sure no one else traded up for him, not to make sure SF didn’t take him. But still, idk how likely it is that another team would’ve leapfrogged us to take him at 2 regardless. How fortuitous it would have been if they had though. 

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts were on each first round pick we’ve had at the moment of making it. Please be genuine, don’t say you knew Tom Brady was a hall of famer when taken or say that you wanted a no name guy that turned into a HOF player. 

2021 Justin Fields:

2018 Roquan Smith:

2017 Mitch Trubisky:

2016 Leonard Floyd:

2015 Kevin White:

2014 Kyle Fuller:

2013 Kyle Long:

2012 Shea McClellin:

2011 Gabe Carimi:

2008 Chris Williams:

2007 Greg Olsen:

2005 Cedric Benson:

2004 Tommie Harris:

2003 Michael Haynes/Rex Grossman:

2002 Marc Colombo:

2001 David Terrell:

2000 Brian Urlacher:

1999 Cade McNown:

1998 Curtis Ennis:

you can also post your opinion on the player now, but the emphasis should be moment of selection emotions. 

edit: if posters remember watching the drafts before Ennis and can remember how the felt about it, feel free to go back as far as you want 

I only started paying attention to the draft with the Mcclellin pick

2021 Justin Fields:  Fields wasn't really on my board because of his TTT (time to throw) being the worst of his draft class. I also didnt't expect us to make the move to go get him. That being said, as a prospect, I had him rated higher than Trubisky (basically Mitch but better arm, better athlete etc).... Completely behind the move and the willingness to "take a swing" on a QB.  I was higher on both Mac Jones (as a safe high floor guy with limited ceiling) and Zach Wilson (as a poor man's mahomes.... not knowing any of his apparently pretty severe character issues)

2018 Roquan Smith:  Was thrilled with this pick. Absolutely thrilled.. He was the best player on the field in his nat. championship game earlier that year

2017 Mitch Trubisky:  I am on the record saying Mahomes was the best QB of that class before the draft "and it wasn't close".... I did have Mitch #2 though, and didn't hate the pick, because I knew we HAD TO take a swing on the position. Didn't at all mind trading up for him either. FWIW I was also wrong about Watson, I thought he would be a turnover machine at the nfl level.

2016 Leonard Floyd: I wanted Ramsey, Bucker, or Conklin.... Conklin being my prime target that I thought we had a good shot at.

2015 Kevin White: He wasn't the receiver I wanted (I think it was Amari Cooper's draft class) and after looking it up, I was all in on Vic Beasley-Edge.

2014 Kyle Fuller:   Mostly I was pissed we didn't get Aaron Donald.

2013 Kyle Long:  I can't remember one way or another. I think I was ok with it?

2012 Shea McClellin: "WHO?" Followed by anger and disapointment. Everything about that pick pissed me off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts were on each first round pick we’ve had at the moment of making it. Please be genuine, don’t say you knew Tom Brady was a hall of famer when taken or say that you wanted a no name guy that turned into a HOF player. 

2021 Justin Fields: loved this pick so much. Went ape for him and Jenkins since that would have been much exact picks too 

2018 Roquan Smith: liked it. I preferred Edmunds and Davenport but I felt Smith had the highest floor by far. 

2017 Mitch Trubisky: liked it. Mahomes was my guy by a mile but I thought with how he would fit with Fox's smashmouth style would be the best fit. I think I said Loggains would ruin Mahomes. 

2016 Leonard Floyd: I liked him, didn't think he was a real EDGE because he was more an offball guy in college. Thought Fangio would still make him a stud. 

2015 Kevin White: mad that they got rid of Marshall honestly but liked the potential he had. I wanted Vic Beasley iirc.  

2014 Kyle Fuller: loved Fuller. Great pick. I thought he was going to be a top 5 CB for years. 

2013 Kyle Long: I dint like it initially but Windy got me hyped on him. I knew little of him and between the age and cocaine charge I was REALLY nervous about it

2012 Shea McClellin: liked the pick but was a much bigger Jones fan. I'm a sucker for high effort guys but Shea just seemed to get swallowed when there was a solid block rather than getting off.

2011 Gabe Carimi: Thought he was going to be a solid RT or a great OG.  

2008 Chris Williams: didn't like him. I have an issue about "finesse" OL. I want maulers.

2007 Greg Olsen: loved this pick. I honestly didn't give Clark the credit he deserved until the last few years though. 

2005 Cedric Benson: despised this pick. I liked Jones and REALLY wanted Rodgers. Was even a fan if the stupid left hand dropbacks at Cal. 😆 Broke our Direct TV remote when GB drafted him. 

2004 Tommie Harris: I was hopeful but really only could go off his numbers and the few draft magazines my bro had. Loved that he was athletic freak. I THINK I watched the combine this year on NFL Network. 

2003 Michael Haynes/Rex Grossman: was super high on Haynes and as a Gator fan I thought Grossman was overrated. But the idea of a Gator being the Bears franchise QB definitely pulled the heart strings. 

2002 Marc Colombo: no clue, likely was a fan because he was a huge guy? 

2001 David Terrell: no clue 

2000 Brian Urlacher: not sure. I remember my brother was pumped as hell so I was too but that might have just been because he was. He got us both Urlacher jerseys so that was my first jersey. 

1999 Cade McNown:not sure

1998 Curtis Ennis: not sure. 

you can also post your opinion on the player now, but the emphasis should be moment of selection emotions. 

edit: if posters remember watching the drafts before Ennis and can remember how the felt about it, feel free to go back as far as you want 

Believe this was as accurate as I can be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Funnily enough, I comped Johnston to White because I felt like he would bust in the same way. 

I just realized I have no idea how old you are. I feel like i really only know the age of my posse of 30 year olds and Sugashane is like 53 or something 

Haha 36

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ty21 said:

2021 Justin Fields:  Loved this pick.  Said in the middle of the season the only QBs I was interested in trading up for were Lawrence and Fields.  I wanted absolutely nothing to do with Jones or Wilson, even while others on here were going nuts over them.  I was however convinced we were going to end up w/Lance and I was warming up to him.

2018 Roquan Smith:  wanted Marcus Davenport, thought he was going to be a GREAT DE.  Was OK w/ Roquan as I knew he would be a good player, just didn't like the value.

2017 Mitch Trubisky:  wanted Watson, didn't hate the pick b/c I understood it.  The trade was nothing.  And there is A LOT of revisionist history around here about Mahomes.

2016 Leonard Floyd:  was OK w/it.  Honestly didn't know what to think bc he wasn't a true edge, but we were going to play him as one.

2015 Kevin White:  hated it, but to be fair on draft night it wouldn't have mattered whonit was bc I just watched Leonard Williams go one pick earlier.

2014 Kyle Fuller:  liked it

2013 Kyle Long:  one of draft faves, loved it

2012 Shea McClellin: Chandler Jones, that was the name I was certain would be written on the card.  It made too much sense, he fit the scheme, it was a need, and he was the BPA.  When they announced Shea McClellan I was in complete shock

2011 Gabe Carimi:  meh

2008 Chris Williams:  wanted Clady, was happy w/ Chris Williams

2007 Greg Olsen:  loved it

2005 Cedric Benson: really liked Ced, but man did I want Sean Taylor

2004 Tommie Harris: loved it.

2003 Michael Haynes/Rex Grossman:  when we didnt pick 4 I was really disappointed bc we wouldn't get Leftwich, my favorite QB in that draft.  I did love Michael Haynes tho.

2002 Marc Colombo:

2001 David Terrell:

2000 Brian Urlacher: had no idea who he was.

1999 Cade McNown:  hated w/ a fire of 1000 sun's.  

1998 Curtis Ennis:

• Like 1

^^ Yep about revisionist history around Mahomes.  I remember @G08 pounding the table for Mahomes nonstop, but I think even he said that it'd be a huge risk in Chicago.  I know a few others jumped onboard saying he had all the raw materials but that he would likely fail if he were thrown into the lineup.  My view then as it is now was that he'd have been a bust in Chicago.  

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 2

2021 Justin Fields:  Over the moon, thought he looked great and lots of smart football people ranked him quite high

2018 Roquan Smith:  This was the moment I hopped on board the "Ryan Pace doesn't get value" train

2017 Mitch Trubisky: Meh. I LOVED Watson and thought he was such an obvious choice,  liked Kizer too so what did I know. I remember thinking he seemed dumb on the Gruden whiteboard session. 

2016 Leonard Floyd: Huh?

2015 Kevin White: I was excited,  he seemed like a great pick. 

2014 Kyle Fuller:  Really liked the pick, and now I'm fondly recalling the SF game where he went bananas

2013 Kyle Long:  Thought he looked crazy and mean, so liked the pick

2012 Shea McClellin:  Was actually teaching a seminar, when my friend texted me and I said WTF on a loud mic in front of like 150 people.

2011 Gabe Carimi: I get this pick and the Williams pic confused, but do recall being glad we were lining up up front. 

2008 Chris Williams:

2007 Greg Olsen: WOW the commentator?? Had no clue. 

2005 Cedric Benson:  Wasn't really following football from 1988-2005. 

2004 Tommie Harris:

2003 Michael Haynes/Rex Grossman:

2002 Marc Colombo:

2001 David Terrell:

2000 Brian Urlacher:

1999 Cade McNown:

1998 Curtis Ennis

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

^^ Yep about revisionist history around Mahomes.  I remember @G08 pounding the table for Mahomes nonstop, but I think even he said that it'd be a huge risk in Chicago.  I know a few others jumped onboard saying he had all the raw materials but that he would likely fail if he were thrown into the lineup.  My view then as it is now was that he'd have been a bust in Chicago.  

Yeah I had the absolutely idiotic idea that Mahomes was just another prolific passer at Texas tech that wouldn’t translate to the nfl. I might’ve been more bothered by him than Trubisky honestly. Watching his highlights with hindsight is kinda painful, but yeah I also wonder how he would’ve fared here. I do know Nagy is largely the reason Mahomes is in KC. 

The only other qb I’ve looked at and felt the same way but wasn’t wrong about was Zach Wilson. I was called an idiot once for saying I don’t see what makes him special. Maybe I was wrong about him too, but idk what makes him the second pick. I think I ended up right. 

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

My issue with Mahomes pre-draft was that he reminded me a lot of Cutler as an athlete (didn’t know anything about his makeup), and while I was a HUGE Cutler guy that scared the crap outta me. I was fully invested in Watson for the Bears, and when they traded up to 2 and took Mitch instead it hurt. Fast forward 4 years and we trade up from 20 to 11 with JFF still available and all I’m thinking waiting for the pick to come in was “Oh my God please let this be for Fields and not Mac Jones.” 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Yup, I was mesmerized with the kid's talent but I'm strongly of the opinion (and agree with you) if he was drafted in Chicago he would have been a bust.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Trade was to make sure no one else traded up for him, not to make sure SF didn’t take him. But still, idk how likely it is that another team would’ve leapfrogged us to take him at 2 regardless. How fortuitous it would have been if they had though. 

Right. I don't have an issue with the trade up near as much as missing the pick. If Pace did that and the Bears got Mahomes then the trade would be looked at as one of the top moves of the franchise's history and one of the best trades of the 2000s. 

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yup, I was mesmerized with the kid's talent but I'm strongly of the opinion (and agree with you) if he was drafted in Chicago he would have been a bust.

I was too, we had a number of talks on him. The guy made plays out of nothing and threw dots all over the field. He HAD to be aggressive because he knew his defense was going to give up 40 week in and week out. Then his big plays were not just getting it to an athlete in space or relying on Mike Evans winning jumpballs at an 80% click, he was making a lot of reads across the field and hitti guys in steide to get that extra 4 yards with regularity.

I compared him to Rodgers at Cal, who was my favorite offensive prospect ever. David Pollack will likely always be my favorite prospect but being as new to watching and writing on guys he was the first college defender that really had me watching HIM rather than the game. 

But back on Mahomes, I dont think he busts at all in Chicago, because Loggains gets dropped way before he gets "broken" here. Does he go on the tear in Chicago that he has in KC? Hell no. The team isn't near as talented and the coaching staff wasn't even comparable. But for revisionist purposes a Mahomes and Arians pairing, man that could have been a beautiful thing in Chicago. 

• Like 1

I thought a little on this and honestly I think I might have been excited no matter who the Bears took in 2017 just because the complete inactivity the Bears had in the first 2 rounds when drafting for QBs. I probably would have just been as excited for Kayaa (sp?) in the 2nd just because it was at least a real swing at the position early, just the first 2 rounds.

80s had 2 in McMahon and Harbaugh, 90s had one in McNown, 2000s had in in Rex. Granted Jay was a big move and was here for 8 years, but that is 4 swings at QB in the first 2 rounds (counting the trade) in 35ish years. For a team with the Bears QB history?

That's just as much negligence as positional incompetence. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I thought a little on this and honestly I think I might have been excited no matter who the Bears took in 2017 just because the complete inactivity the Bears had in the first 2 rounds when drafting for QBs. I probably would have just been as excited for Kayaa (sp?) in the 2nd just because it was at least a real swing at the position early, just the first 2 rounds.

80s had 2 in McMahon and Harbaugh, 90s had one in McNown, 2000s had in in Rex. Granted Jay was a big move and was here for 8 years, but that is 4 swings at QB in the first 2 rounds (counting the trade) in 35ish years. For a team with the Bears QB history?

That's just as much negligence as positional incompetence. 

Everyone was excited for a high first round QB.    

It was such a weird decision to draft a QB with a coach you knew you were going to fire and burn his first year.   And not even tell the coach you were drafting him until late.  Then you give him almost no reps and throw him to fire in season.  

Then we did it again with Fields in a little different circumstance - because both Nagy and Pace were going buh bye.   Glad we did.   But still   Strange.  

Pace/Nagy plan to win and save their jobs with Dalton at QB was a very odd one.    Plan should have been to roll with rookie and hopefully show enough offensively that they would be asked back.

Instead Dalton got hurt and they threw Fields into games with no protection and no offseason reps.   It just pissed everyone off for second time with a first round QB.  Madness.

In both instances we near totally wasted a season of development for a young QB.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone was excited for a high first round QB.    

It was such a weird decision to draft a QB with a coach you knew you were going to fire and burn his first year.   And not even tell the coach you were drafting him until late.  Then you give him almost no reps and throw him to fire in season.  

Then we did it again with Fields in a little different circumstance - because both Nagy and Pace were going buh bye.   Glad we did.   But still   Strange.  

Pace/Nagy plan to win and save their jobs with Dalton at QB was a very odd one.    Plan should have been to roll with rookie and hopefully show enough offensively that they would be asked back.

Instead Dalton got hurt and they threw Fields into games with no protection and no offseason reps.   It just pissed everyone off for second time with a first round QB.  Madness.

In both instances we near totally wasted a season of development for a young QB.  

This is exactly why I think that Eberflus and Poles will be tied to Fields. Warren might be hands off but I think he has no issue getting his guys in place. After seeing how he took USC and UCLA he has no issues being cutthroat and I kinda love it. 

• Like 1