Falcons sign DL Calais Campbell

scar988

34 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only way this makes sense is if the Falcons offered him a lot more than Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Detroit did. He said he wanted to play for a contender and, well, the Falcons ain't it so all I can surmise here is that their offer was just absurdly higher than every other team.

What if Ridder is this year's Hurts? 

• Like 4

Very surprising landing spot. Falcons fans should appreciate Arthur Blank getting personally involved on this one.

I still think there's a big possibility of a December release for Campbell if the Falcons are out of contention though, we've seen that move before for respected vets.

As a rotational piece he's still a major contributor against the run and pass. All time player, wish him the best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Falcons are really looking to go from 0 to hero overnight arnt they

Lot of overreactions in this thread. Like most players the Falcons have added this offseason, they have a reasonable out after two years. In the case of Campbell, it's just a one year deal. One could argue they may be overspending on some players, but this isn't reckless spending by any means (not directed at you). 

I wouldn't say they're starting from 0. The Falcons were one game back from winning the division last year, with a piss poor roster. They've significantly improved that roster so I don't think it's unreasonable to call them legitimate contenders for the NFC South. A lot will depend on Ridder, but the roster surrounding him is far better than what Mariota had last year. I'll throw some money on them winning the NFC South, but obviously I'm bias here. 

Edited by swoosh

5 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Lot of overreactions in this thread. Like most players the Falcons have added this offseason, they have a reasonable out after two years. In the case of Campbell, it's just a one year deal. One could argue they may be overspending on some players, but this isn't reckless spending by any means (no directed at you). 

I wouldn't say they're starting from 0. The Falcons were one game back from winning the division last year, with a piss poor roster. They've significantly improved that roster so I don't think it's unreasonable to call them legitimate contenders for the NFC South. A lot will depend on Ridder, but the roster surrounding him is far better than what Mariota had last year. I'll throw some money on them winning the NFC South, but obviously I'm bias here. 

That would mean a lot more if the team that won the NFCS didnt have a losing record.....for the second time in the past decade lol. Campbell just doesnt seem to fit where they are at with their roster. Hes a 36 year old rotational player at this point in his career whose averaging 3.5 sacks a season for the past 3 years. He just seems much better fit on a contender trying to chase a ring before retirement than going to a 7-9 team with a giant ? at QB.

(unless they plan on trading for Jackson)

Edited by AkronsWitness

33 minutes ago, adamq said:

What if Ridder is this year's Hurts? 

Ridder don’t got the talent 

Hurts always had the talent but hadn’t fully put it together 

Lamar with that Falcons offense makes a lot of sense. Big targets to help with his lack of accuracy plus he can play in a dome the majority of the time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That would mean a lot more if the team that won the NFCS didnt have a losing record.....for the second time in the past decade lol. Campbell just doesnt seem to fit where they are at with their roster. Hes a 36 year old rotational player at this point in his career whose averaging 3.5 sacks a season for the past 3 years. He just seems much better fit on a contender trying to chase a ring before retirement than going to a 7-9 team with a giant ? at QB.

I'm not calling them Super Bowl contenders, but playoffs are in sight. 

As for Campbell's motives, it appears it's not all about contending.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Loved having him in Baltimore. Still making high impact plays and amazing to have in the locker room.

Rooting for him to do well and get that 100th sack.

That seems pretty nuts that he isn’t there yet. In a pass happy league should

be easy. So many guys have passed the 100 mark that leaves me wondering how lol

53 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

How do you know they are drafting a QB?

They have Ridder on a rookie deal. That's what he's referring to.

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's less about Ridder (well, it kind of is...) and more about the fact that at this time last year the Eagles also had the strongest roster in the NFL combined with the weakest schedule we've ever seen.

The Falcons have what looks like a weak schedule AND they are building a stronger roster.

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

They aren't trading for Jackson.

32 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Ridder don’t got the talent 

Hurts always had the talent but hadn’t fully put it together 

Lamar with that Falcons offense makes a lot of sense. Big targets to help with his lack of accuracy plus he can play in a dome the majority of the time. 

Ridder has more talent than you realize. Just he's more a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy. And that's not exciting.

Lamar isn't a target for the Falcons. They've come out 3 times in the past two days to say no to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamq said:

This time last year, Hurts was ranked 25th by this forum.. I don't know where Ridder would be right now, but probably not far off from there

Hurts had also been a full time starter that took the Eagles to the playoffs. Ridder might be good but their situations aren't really that similar.