Ravens sign OBJ 1 yr 18M

Ty21

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why would it be 11 million in 24 and not like 2.75 each of the 4 voided years?

When the contract ends all money on the voided years accelerate. It's the same as a signing bonus for a cut player, as soon as they're cut any of the signing bonus that hasn't hit the cap yet hits as soon as they're cut. So in theory, sure, it's 2.75M each year, but in theory it's also a 5 year contract, but as soon as it voids after year one everything left hits the cap.

For another example, look at Javon Hargrave with Philly. They're paying all that dead money this year, even though he had multiple void years on his deal.

43 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t really care about the money on a one year deal. This point in the season, teams know who else they may want to target and some likely know they can splurge a bit. 

It's mostly going to cost them money next year, not this year.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

When the contract ends all money on the voided years accelerate. It's the same as a signing bonus for a cut player, as soon as they're cut any of the signing bonus that hasn't hit the cap yet hits as soon as they're cut. So in theory, sure, it's 2.75M each year, but in theory it's also a 5 year contract, but as soon as it voids after year one everything left hits the cap.

For another example, look at Javon Hargrave with Philly. They're paying all that dead money this year, even though he had multiple void years on his deal.

The next big thing is creating void years on contracts that void June 1, just wait

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The next big thing is creating void years on contracts that void June 1, just wait

Eagles kind of already do that. They push the date it auto-voids back just a little bit, so then instead of it voiding, they have the option to cut the player, designate them a June 1st cut, and spread the cap hit over 2 years. It isn't always reported well because most media outlets don't actually understand how the cap works, if we're being honest. But they've already done that with, IIRC, Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce. For sure Cox, at least. I know the newest deals for Kelce and Graham allow for the same. Either a June 1st cut or a post June 1st retirement.

• Like 1

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Eagles kind of already do that. They push the date it auto-voids back just a little bit, so then instead of it voiding, they have the option to cut the player, designate them a June 1st cut, and spread the cap hit over 2 years. It isn't always reported well because most media outlets don't actually understand how the cap works, if we're being honest. But they've already done that with, IIRC, Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce. For sure Cox, at least. I know the newest deals for Kelce and Graham allow for the same. Either a June 1st cut or a post June 1st retirement.

Kelce was the one I was thinking of and why I think that yes going to catch on and be a bigger thing across the NFL

• Like 1

If this deal isn't basically tied into getting a Lamar extension to the finish line then spending big on OBJ while planning for Tyler Huntley at QB is a really weird/bad move -- but if this is one of the main dominos needed to get the Lamar deal closed, then it's worth overpaying for. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kelce was the one I was thinking of and why I think that yes going to catch on and be a bigger thing across the NFL

For sure. Honestly, I'm sure there probably are some already, just kind of hard to notice if not deliberately looking for it, since it's not the kind of thing that's going to be put in contract announcement tweets. Like, I know KC's contracts super well, but have no reason to know most others. Except Philly's which are just...fun.

I will say, I'm glad KC hasn't really dove into this much. They dabbled a bit with going all in after the first super bowl, but pulled back since, and it's nice that last year didn't come at the cost of excessive dead cap every year going forward. Like, a couple teams that have aggressively gotten the ball rolling on this, I don't really know how they're going to find a proper year to stop.

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

Signing bonuses and option bonuses always escalates after a player is cut / traded or in this case, leaves when the contact voids 

But also leave the option open for another extension to help with the abruptness of the escalating money… another saints specialty. Put in void years and bet on yourself and the player that you will rework the deal before the escalation deadline  and they will be on the team for at least some of the void years, thus preventing the escalation penalties 

Edited by Dome

25 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

One hell of a job by Odell and his agent keeping his name out there and getting him this kind of money, even if only for 1 year.

Excellent plan...a super bowl, followed by a year vacation, then a big money prove it year, for a contender

Solid signing and if he comes close to being a solid no.1 WR and plays well enough to earn a second contract, good.

If he bombs out and gets injured again, oh well 1 year deal flier where the ravens *needed* to add WR talent.

Odell rebounding after spending 2 years recovering from a torn ACL wouldn't surprise me but that's entirely up to Lamar and the OC.