49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, they can just keep him? Trading him already costs more than keeping him. They aren't going to move him just to move him I would think

Over losing him for nothing when they can at least get a single decent asset in return? Better to cut ties a year early than a year late, right? I still dont know his value though which changes everything about what the 49ers would do.

I do know that in 8 career games he is only averaging 100 yards passing and 55% completion in a offense designed to make throws so easy that even Brock Purdy and Jimmy G can look like Pro Bowlers doing it. So Im not really sure what a team would even be willing to give up 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Over losing him for nothing when they can at least get a single decent asset in return? Better to cut ties a year early than a year late.

It costs them more to trade him than keep him and they have a starting QB with an unknown injury timetable with only Darnold on the roster. In shanny's tenure, they've had to use at least 3qbs in every season but two.  I'm good skipping out on a third or fourth or something and just keeping him in the roster as an insurance policy. They have 11 picks this year, 11 next year (five in the first three rounds), 8 the following year. 

Hell, you could still maybe flip him next year for a late day three pick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

And that doesn't mean they won't make the move anyway, it just means I won't understand the logic of it 😂

All I know is John Lynch better be thanking his lucky stars that Brock Purdy showed up out of nowhere to save himself from the 'you traded 3 firsts for a guy who only played 8 games and was released for nothing' questions lol

Big Paxton Lynch vibes (without the trade up)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

It costs them more to trade him than keep him and they have a starting QB with an unknown injury timetable with only Darnold on the roster. In shanny's tenure, they've had to use at least 3qbs in every season but two.  I'm good skipping out on a third or fourth or something and just keeping him in the roster as an insurance policy. They have 11 picks this year, 11 next year (five in the first three rounds), 8 the following year. 

Hell, you could still maybe flip him next year for a late day three pick. 

Nonsense. 

It's the 49ers we're talking about. Hold him this year as an insurance policy, he'll inevitably play at some point and play well because*reasons*, just not better than Purdy, and the 9ers will move him next year for a late 2024 1st and 5 2025 3rd round comp picks somehow because it's the 9ers and that's just how they roll. 

Late day 3 pick...lol. You humor me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But you could have 4 money 5th rounders.

And 4 is more than 3.

You know what is better than a fourth 5th rounder? A 22 year old QB with rare physical traits who knows the system and is highly regarded on a personal level by his teammates. 

It costs the niners 2m more to trade him than it does to keep him. They aren't trading him for a 5th round pick, that does not help the team this year as much as having Trey on the roster, even as QB3. The whole point of trading him is to get a starter at another position for this upcoming season. 

"take a 5th or take nothing" is a silly, silly statement to make. Trey has two more years on his rookie contract plus a 5th year option. The niners could keep him two more years and let him walk as a FA and get more than a 5th (comp picks are based on contract and PT, he would probably find a place to be a starter just on draft capital alone)

I know this is probably a hard concept for lions fans to grasp but the niners are in SB or bust mode right now. They arent trading their former 3rd overall pick for a 5th rounder

Rap-battle GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, N4L said:

You know what is better than a fourth 5th rounder? A 22 year old QB with rare physical traits who knows the system and is highly regarded on a personal level by his teammates. 

It costs the niners 2m more to trade him than it does to keep him. They aren't trading him for a 5th round pick, that does not help the team this year as much as having Trey on the roster, even as QB3. The whole point of trading him is to get a starter at another position for this upcoming season. 

"take a 5th or take nothing" is a silly, silly statement to make. Trey has two more years on his rookie contract plus a 5th year option. The niners could keep him two more years and let him walk as a FA and get more than a 5th (comp picks are based on contract and PT, he would probably find a place to be a starter just on draft capital alone)

I know this is probably a hard concept for lions fans to grasp but the niners are in SB or bust mode right now. They arent trading their former 3rd overall pick for a 5th rounder

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

• Like 1

Lot of people seem to forget how rare QBs are, especially with elite traits like Lance. Think what you may, but he is still all potential and still younger than Will Levis and Hendon Hooker. Anything less than a second is laughable, and I think it will be more. All you need to do is look at Darnold and Wentz.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I do know that in 8 career games he is only averaging 100 yards passing and 55% completion in a offense designed to make throws so easy that even Brock Purdy and Jimmy G can look like Pro Bowlers doing it. So Im not really sure what a team would even be willing to give up 

Some of those games he only played like a few snaps, so your averages on yards are not good numbers. 

He played 3 real games in his rookie year (2 starts and a game where he came in at the start of the second half and finished the game). In those three games, he had 598 yards passing (200/g) + 160 rushing yards (53 per game), 4 touchdowns / 2 ints. It's not perfect or anything, but there's no major flags there either besides a substandard completion percentage that you hope would get better with time and is to be somewhat expected by anyone who watched him in college. 

He played one full game his second year in a monsoon, definitely wasn't great, but I don't know why anyone would take anything from that  (Jimmy, who is a perfectly cromulent QB had a very similar game against a very bad Washington team in 2019), and then got hurt on the second drive of the Seattle game. He's never played with CMC, Elijah Mitchell has gotten hurt in two of his games, and he's only played with Kittle once. It's just one of those things where I legit don't know what can be taken from what he has done on the field. He's kind of been how I would expect it to go 4 starts into his career when evaluating him as a prospect for the draft. What that means to teams I have no idea. If they were expecting him to come in and light it up, not great. But if they viewed him as a project who was going to have some ups and downs as he figured it out, there's probably nothing of major consequence with his play (aside from the injuries, it should be noted) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I don't think you're suppose to add that GIF on to your own post.  You're suppose to let others quote your post with it lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

probably aren't trading him at all then

Bad post

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Lot of people seem to forget how rare QBs are, especially with elite traits like Lance. Think what you may, but he is still all potential and still younger than Will Levis and Hendon Hooker. Anything less than a second is laughable, and I think it will be more. All you need to do is look at Darnold and Wentz.

Good post

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't think you're suppose to add that GIF on to your own post.  You're suppose to let others quote your post with it lol. 

lol I wanted to make sure it was known that the last part was in jest.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

probably aren't trading him at all then

As stated, that is fine. I am comfortable keeping him, even as qb3, rather than spend an extra 2m to trade him for peanuts. That would mean we would have to spend a draft pick on a QB, and that we will have to pay that QB more than their sloted draft pick. So, it would cost us even more than just 2m to move on. 

It is not as if he is some cancer that they have to move on from. He is a good teammate from everything we can surmise. 

We just lost the NFCCG because we lost four QBs for the season. QB depth is super important. Will a 5th round pick make us a better team than having depth at QB?? Seriously doubt it. 

LIS I think the niners would probably get more in a comp pick in 2026 if he walks as a FA in 2025. Doubt it comes to that, but still. The point of trading lance is to get some draft picks for guys who can reasonably start in year 1. even if you hit on a 5th rounder, the likelihood of them starting in year 1 is low. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

Bad post

Good post

if you say so, but I still think he'll remain in San Francisco, at least for the immediate future - we shall see who is right, i suppose. That said, i could easily see him getting moved for a 2nd or so during the season if a team who thinks they're a contender loses their QB for the year.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

As stated, that is fine. I am comfortable keeping him, even as qb3, rather than spend an extra 2m to trade him for peanuts. That would mean we would have to spend a draft pick on a QB, and that we will have to pay that QB more than their sloted draft pick. So, it would cost us even more than just 2m to move on. 

It is not as if he is some cancer that they have to move on from. He is a good teammate from everything we can surmise. 

We just lost the NFCCG because we lost four QBs for the season. QB depth is super important. Will a 5th round pick make us a better team than having depth at QB?? Seriously doubt it. 

LIS I think the niners would probably get more in a comp pick in 2026 if he walks as a FA in 2025. Doubt it comes to that, but still. The point of trading lance is to get some draft picks for guys who can reasonably start in year 1. even if you hit on a 5th rounder, the likelihood of them starting in year 1 is low. 

Never meant to imply that keeping him was a bad thing. In fact, I meant to convey just the opposite - the likely return right now is far lower than the value of just keeping him, especially with Purdy's availability so uncertain.

• Like 1