49ers fielding trade calls for QB Trey Lance

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If I'm Brad Holmes, I'm calling and offering a 5th rd pick. Take it or leave it. 

The niners are actually money in the 5th round. Pretty sure they have drafted more starters in the 5th than the first or second rounds combined in this regime. No joke lol 

With that being said, we already have 3 5ths. Thanks but no thanks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, N4L said:

The niners are actually money in the 5th round. Pretty sure they have drafted more starters in the 5th than the first or second rounds combined in this regime. No joke lol 

Perhaps I'm giving dude too much credit, but I assume he already knew of that 5th round magic for the 49ers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adamq said:
5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

To Jimmy's credit, at least we've seen him actually play well with scrubs. Can't see Darnold doing that. I actually liked Darnold coming out, so glad he's a 49ers as a backup, but he's the next Bryan Hoyer at this point. Hopefully Purdy can start the season. 

He played well enough closing out Carolina's season 4-2

He also played poorly enough to convince Panthers personnel to give up significant assets to draft [insert rookie QB here]. 

I’d be more inclined to credit the 4-2 finish to D’Onta Foreman and a resurgent defense, to be fair.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Forge said:

The team acquiring him would pay at most 9 million over the next two years. He already costs the niners more to trade than to keep. 

The niners aren't going to pay any of his salary

I'm not so sure. The 9er's have no leverage in any of this.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I'm not so sure. The 9er's have no leverage in any of this.

I mean, they can just keep him? Trading him already costs more than keeping him. They aren't going to move him just to move him I would think

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Having the best coaching staff in the league make drafting much easier 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, they can just keep him? Trading him already costs more than keeping him. They aren't going to move him just to move him I would think

It'd be the equivalent of paying a bunch of money for another draft pick.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

But you could have 4 money 5th rounders.

And 4 is more than 3.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But you could have 4 money 5th rounders.

And 4 is more than 3.

It wouldn't shock me if his value is nowhere near what they would want to move him, but it would surprise me if the niners did it, if that makes sense. 

But who knows. This organization sometimes is run like a meth addict playing madden. Some of the most mind boggling string of decisions and errors...yet they have managed to create a monster roster. They have made the two worst draft picks in franchise history (assuming Lance gets moved this week). They've signed some pretty massive awful deals. It's so weird, man.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It wouldn't shock me if his value is nowhere near what they would want to move him, but it would surprise me if the niners did it, if that makes sense. 

But who knows. This organization sometimes is run like a meth addict playing madden. Some of the most mind boggling string of decisions and errors...yet they have managed to create a monster roster. They have made the two worst draft picks in franchise history (assuming Lance gets moved this week). They've signed some pretty massive awful deals. It's so weird, man.  

True.

If you manage to find and sign enough good players in long run it really doesn't matter all that much what round they were drafted in after the fact.

Especially if they are blue chippers.   Blue chip players are force multipliers.

But it still can sting to give away or miss on early draft picks because you always think, what if we took that guy instead?  How much better would we be? 

• Like 1