Brock Purdy franchise QB?

49erurtaza

On 7/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I listen to John Chapman.

Nice, yeah Chapman's a real grown up, and true fan. I should get back into listening more, now that preseason creeps closer. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Seems like Steve is a believer. 

I would love to hear what he said about garoppolo after 2017. 

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Steve-Young-Jimmy-Garoppolo-uniquely-equipped-to-12898098.php

He was really gushing over Jimmy last year too.. feel like he just goes with the flow

https://bayarea.sbnation.com/49ers/2012/11/2/3593454/alex-smith-cardinals-49ers-steve-young

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 11:07 PM, N4L said:

I had concerns about his arm before the injury, but he kept proving me wrong. His arm was good enough to go deep. So now that he tore his UCL, I am going to be very worried until I see him throw a pass 20-30 yards in the air.

• Like 2

I have no issues and expect purdy getting more reps. But I’m irked at the 3 way split going on with everyone else. I just really don’t like how this has been handled. Only thing that would track is they’ve had some tentative talks with teams and he’s basically gone at some point this training camp. 

regardless, stoked for the new year. Can’t wait to get so tilted by every report 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Forge said:

The tight window throws is actually better than I thought. 

Stats can be twisted however someone wants. I view this as a sign of why he was better than expected. When someone’s open, he sees them, is decisive and fires. I assume it would be impossible to find, but I’d love to see a stat on separation on all receivers when a qb releases. For example if the guy he threw to had a yard of separation but two other guys were 10 yards open downfield, that’s 21 yards. Jimmy for example, threw into tight windows over the middle, but is there a way to see that that was actually stupid of him because at time of release there was 10 yards of separation somewhere else on the field. 

Don’t know if that makes sense….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lynch and Kyle better be correct on this. Purdy will ether win us a Superbowl or get everyone fired lol 😆 

I 100% agree, but I also have a feeling that if Kirk becomes available next year we will attempt to bring him in. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lynch and Kyle better be correct on this. Purdy will ether win us a Superbowl or get everyone fired lol 😆 

Barring a 0-17 level disaster Shanahan should be fine this year, but if he can't at least make it back to the Super Bowl before his contract expires after the 2025 season and/or find a long term solution at QB it might become harder for York to give him more time, especially after the extension the last time they made it. That's around when the core will likely start declining too, and the track record of head coaches finally winning their first Lombardi after a decade or more with the same team isn't great. At that point it might be an Andy Reid situation where moving on is better for both sides long term

Edited by jonnguy2015

30 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Barring a 0-17 level disaster Shanahan should be fine this year, but if he can't at least make it back to the Super Bowl before his contract expires after the 2025 season and/or find a long term solution at QB it might become harder for York to give him more time, especially after the extension the last time they made it. That's around when the core will likely start declining too, and the track record of head coaches finally winning their first Lombardi after a decade or more with the same team isn't great. At that point it might be an Andy Reid situation where moving on is better for both sides long term

Getting to the Superbowl is hard to do.  Not just something that we can expect to happen on any given year.  Every NFL team has one or two injuries that would prevent a run.  Although the quest for 6 continues, we shouldn't discontinue the success we've had up to this point.  I am very grateful to have Kyle as coach, have multiple winning seasons, and multiple superbowl runs.  If there is a down period between core groups, that is fine.  

Not having a QB is not that bad.  We save about 50 million dollars per season, as long as we have good players in the building, that money makes the team better.  I feel QB's are over rated and over paid in today's NFL.  I would rather have guys like Purdy, Darnold, Future Kyler Murray, etc than paying a guy like Russell Wilson 500,000,000 dollars.

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/08/14/49ers-brock-purdy-believe-super-bowl-contender

Shanahan then says, “He would have to melt in practice to lose it. And Brock’s too good of a player to melt in practice—and so are the other guys.”

Don’t believe it? Opposing coaches will tell you, too. According to a few I talked to, Shanahan’s confidence in Purdy was obvious in how he was calling those games. And when asked, Shanahan himself conceded it to be the truth. “Definitely,” he says. “I think you can see it change each week, I got a lot more comfortable, I realized how many plays he could make, and also felt good in how he protected the ball, so when we did get aggressive and things weren’t there, he didn’t throw picks. So I got more and more confidence with him.”

Shanny/Lynch really seem to believe in Purdy, for better or worse

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2