Rams 2023 draft

NVRamsFan

Guys on my wish list for our first pick tonight, whether we stay at 36 or not:

Edge: Ojulari, Hall, White

CB: Porter, Smith, Brents

OL: Tippmann, Schmitz, Torrence, Avila

Other: Mayer, Hyatt, Levis 

Im not necessarily hoping for Levis, but I wouldn’t hate it. I would HATE Hooker, someone I’ve seen mocked to us more than I’d like. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Guys on my wish list for our first pick tonight, whether we stay at 36 or not:

Edge: Ojulari, Hall, White

CB: Porter, Smith, Brents

OL: Tippmann, Schmitz, Torrence, Avila

Other: Mayer, Hyatt, Levis 

Im not necessarily hoping for Levis, but I wouldn’t hate it. I would HATE Hooker, someone I’ve seen mocked to us more than I’d like. 

This is how I feel on both points. I like Levis a lot as a prospect. It's not really a need at all if Stafford is actually healthy, but I see why we'd take him for the value. Hooker isn't value at pick 36 imo and his timeline doesn't make sense unless Stafford is actually done. Hooker wouldn't start for us until he's 28-29.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xKURTWARNERx said:

Snead/Fisher drafted Goff over Wentz.  Not McVay….

Fair.  Though the gist of my point still stands (if also vague).  Levis is the epitome of all the physical tools but severely lacking in the mental ones.  McVay would have him lost in his own head with trying to point out finite detail stuff that Levis just hasn't shown a desire to grasp.  I genuinely feel like, unless McVay gets his pick of the lot from among an at least above average QB class (which would mean getting or trading for the #1 overall pick), he's the kind of coach that's going to always do better with veterans than rookies/young guys, because veterans typically have already overcome the processing curve.

They're clearly not identical systems, but there is enough similarity between McVay's system and Kyle Shanahan's to call a spade a spade.  That's why the less-than physically-gifted guys who have strong mental games and ahead-of-the-curve processing have been virtually plug-and-play in Kyle's system and, while he did push all-in on a physically-gifted and developmentally behind-the-curve Trey Lance, and Lance got injured and otherwise played in a damn blizzard so we really haven't been able to see what he can do, but Kyle is still moving forward with the mentally-ahead-of-the-curve Purdy by most indications.

Honestly, I'd sooner (and I could actually see McVay, with his own ego in mind, considering this to be an option as well) just sit tight and wait for the Niners to eventually release Lance if Purdy firms his position as "their guy" (probably won't be this season, and if it is it definitely won't be early), and kick those tires to see if McVay can succeed where Kyle failed*, which you know is a (friendly) chip he'd love to be able to hold over Lil' Shanny's head.

* Given the circumstance of injury opening the door for Purdy to usurp Lance, I personally wouldn't consider Lance an out-and-out failure on Kyle's part, but the league media (and thus the layman) narrative, because of the nature of the trade-up and picks involved, will lazily be "failure."

14 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I would be very disapointed if they draft a TE, WR, QB, RB with our first pick. 

I wouldn't hate a TE/QB, although I'd be surprised if we went TE with Higbee still around. 

I'm fully expecting us to go WR or RB. Mingo wouldn't be horrible, but I'd much rather a CB/EDGE or JMS at center. 

34 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I would be very disapointed if they draft a TE, WR, QB, RB with our first pick. 

Given who is presently available (though I do feel like Mayer could do damage for us and ultimately has a higher ceiling than Higbee - he'd still be largely redundant due to Higbee already being on the roster), I'd agree.

I'm a bit intrigued by Jalen Hyatt, but I don't know how much we're going to stick to being stringent on heavy 11-personnel like we have in the past; and I feel like that kind of system (a lot of 11-personnel) is really necessary to getting the most out of Hyatt early while he's acclimating to league out of Tennessee's spread-heavy offense.  I just find myself wondering if we couldn't get a similar prospect later on in Tyler Scott or Tank Dell (clearly shorter, but play style is similar, even though Dell is a bit better built physique-wise for the play style).

Honestly, if we're going offense with out first pick, I'd only feel good about it on the pre-requisite of a trade back that netted us a 3rd or high 4th in return.  Otherwise, if they're intent on going offense at 36, just take O'Cyrus Torrence if he's still there.  Does he make last year's first pick a bit redundant?  Probably, but Bruss was a 3rd round pick and is nearly entirely unproven in our system due to his early injury last year.  O'Cyrus has 10+ year starter in the league written all over him and if coaches can get him to move his feet when he's engaged better, he's got some Saffold Lite prospects to him.

Edited by Dr LBC

12 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I wouldn't hate a TE/QB, although I'd be surprised if we went TE with Higbee still around. 

I'm fully expecting us to go WR or RB. Mingo wouldn't be horrible, but I'd much rather a CB/EDGE or JMS at center. 

While I feel like JMS is scheme transcendent, I don't feel like our blocking scheme really affords his particular skill set his best opportunity to shine.  I actually like the pure fit of Tippman in our scheme better than JMS, but that may also be because I feel like Allen isn't getting moved from his starting C spot barring injury this season, so any OC we draft is going to have to be able to slot in as at guard this season.  And this is interesting because the biggest thing that I feel like Tippman needs to fix is, ironically, his ability to defend the pass-rush move that Donald wins with the move: Push-pull.  If he can get to even be able to defend AD's push-pull at a 75% level, he's got perennial Pro Bowl ceiling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Given who is presently available (though I do feel like Mayer could do damage for us and ultimately has a higher ceiling than Higbee - he'd still be largely redundant due to Higbee already being on the roster), I'd agree.  Honestly, if we're going offense with out first pick, I'd only feel good about it on the pre-requisite of a trade back that netted us a 3rd or high 4th in return.  Otherwise, if they're intent on going offense at 36, just take O'Cyrus Torrence if he's still there.  Does he make last year's first pick a bit redundant?  Probably, but Bruss was a 3rd round pick and is nearly entirely unproven in our system due to his early injury last year.  O'Cyrus has 10+ year starter in the league written all over him and if coaches can get him to move his feet when he's engaged better, he's got some Saffold Lite prospects to him.

Yes o Cyrus Torrence would be great ! He can open running lane but i don't know if he enough versatile to play Tackle. 

But even as a guard, i think he would be an upgrade to Jackson

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I don't mind getting a WR or RB but only with our 5th round pick or later. 

There's 1 WR i would like, it's Rashee Rice !

2 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Yes o Cyrus Torrence would be great ! He can open running lane but i don't know if he enough versatile to play Tackle. 

But even as a guard, i think he would be an upgrade to Jackson

Torrence can't play OT.  He can play either guard spot, but he definitely doesn't have the feet to play tackle.  He's not without needing work, and he's the sort of blocker that you've really got to analyze his fit with the rest of your OL - O'C isn't a get leverage and drive kind of blocker, he's a let the other guy come in, engulf him, and just power him back.  That later type can definitely work along with Havenstein, I'm not sold that it does Allen a ton of favors, but Allen is smart and a scrapper, so I can get behind letting him work out how to adapt his game to work with a guy the style of O'C.  And I honestly won't be surprised if Jackson ends up usurping Noteboom sooner than later - either via Noteboom's inability to stay on the field or just Jackson (assuming the blood clot issue doesn't resurface) willing out on the back of work ethic and grind; he gets it, he's not special and he's ultimately someone that will be upgradable on moving forward, but he's weirdly the exact type of guy that the Niners were able to just keep going next-man-up with at OT in the immediate post-Joe-Staley/pre-Trent-Williams years, and they were still able to stay productive.

Now, normally I don't put a ton of stock in stuff coming from Turf Show Times, but there was one scattered suggestion I think could have some merit, especially post-draft considering what we've been hearing that the Rams want a homerun threat at RB but that that doesn't necessarily mean they feel like they need to take one high:

Yes, I know some folks are still jonesing for Kareem Hunt and I wouldn't argue with that, but after last night's events... maybe Les gives Brad Holmes a call and finagles D'Andre Swift for a future Day 3 pick?  He's only got one year remaining on his rookie deal, so any asking price higher than a future D3 pick is wholly unreasonable, but he's just watched two new guys be brought onto the roster (including one in the 1st round) and that was after having to share the backfield last season.

Someone's going to offer that deal for Swift, my bet is before training camps finish - though I think Carolina is also very likely to be in that running as Frank Reich has almost always run with a 30% split of backfield touches to a scat-back even when he had a stud RB as his lead back.

58 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Now, normally I don't put a ton of stock in stuff coming from Turf Show Times, but there was one scattered suggestion I think could have some merit, especially post-draft considering what we've been hearing that the Rams want a homerun threat at RB but that that doesn't necessarily mean they feel like they need to take one high:

Yes, I know some folks are still jonesing for Kareem Hunt and I wouldn't argue with that, but after last night's events... maybe Les gives Brad Holmes a call and finagles D'Andre Swift for a future Day 3 pick?  He's only got one year remaining on his rookie deal, so any asking price higher than a future D3 pick is wholly unreasonable, but he's just watched two new guys be brought onto the roster (including one in the 1st round) and that was after having to share the backfield last season.

Someone's going to offer that deal for Swift, my bet is before training camps finish - though I think Carolina is also very likely to be in that running as Frank Reich has almost always run with a 30% split of backfield touches to a scat-back even when he had a stud RB as his lead back.

Yeah that was my immediate thought when they drafted Gibbs. Really hope they can get it done. 

My prediction for the Rams pick 36 will be either Mayer, Levis, Hooker, Branch, or Porter Jr. Book it. They won’t trade down in the 2nd round. Now they will trade down with one of their 3rd round picks but they stand pat and take one of those players I mentioned. Again book it.

Now I heard rumors that the Rams tried to get into the 1st round to get Kincaid but no team would bite. So that leads me to think Mayer will be the pick if he is there at 36. Mayer is similar to Kupp in that he didn’t test well but had great production. Higbee and Mayer with Kupp and trade for Swift or if Akers can continue to play like he did the last month or so of the season like that’s a nice offense running and throwing the ball. Especially if the Rams can get Boutte in the 3rd round which would be a huge steal.