NFL Draft GDT (NO SPOILERS!!))

Forge

15 minutes ago, adamq said:

So are they gonna roll with 4 qbs all year, 3 of them being young pups? Seems odd

I guess it allows them to trade Lance at any point without loosing depth. Purdy might still start the season on PUP or IR or whatever. If both Lance and Purdy are here and available, I guess you could still cut Darnold (or even trade him?).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Apparently MM hinting at linebacker for us? We are totally drafting Mapu tomorrow, aren't we?

Hinting or just predicting? I think MM gets way too much credit nowadays with his predictions lol.

But LB is definitely a position we have put quite a bit of time in during the draft process. I can see them taking one as the team wants three strong LBs as they have had the last few years. 

Still think TE/DL is what we will take with the first two picks. The third one is a wildcard that could be a LB, S, RB or even a K. 

I think the team may even try to trade down with one of its 3rd rounders and pick up an additional pick in the 5th round. 

44 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

I guess it allows them to trade Lance at any point without loosing depth. Purdy might still start the season on PUP or IR or whatever. If both Lance and Purdy are here and available, I guess you could still cut Darnold (or even trade him?).

Mapu makes a ton of sense for us. He fits the mold we like for LB. If we don't come away with Mapu, I can see them pivoting to Christian Young from ASU later in the draft.

Definitely feels like the Eagles won opening night. That's annoying, but they're a well-run organization right now. The lose Hargrove but replace him with Carter. And the buzz about their linebackers being the weakspot on their D is also addressed in the first round. 

I'm indifferent about the Texans, Colts, and Panthers with their QBs. They could all work out, or flounder for various reasons that's been pointed out leading up to the draft, and it wouldn't be a shock. I'm already looking forward to who wins the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. 

Bijan Robinson as exciting as he is for the Falcons in Smith's offense, just feels like the wrong move. They weren't in the market for one of the top QBs, but maybe they could have continued to try and fix that defense as a priority??? I feel like NFL teams should be smarter about runningbacks, and their value as offensive contributors relative to their shelf-life these days. I will say though, if the 49ers nabbed CMC way back I would have been happy, so sometimes you just want your guy. #InGutMathWeTrust

I'm fascinated to see if Riley Moss gets picked in the next couple of days. Maybe he can be the next Jason Seahorn or Roger Wehrli in terms of "making it". 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

First time in forever i didn't watch the 1st round. I don't like how extravagant its become. I actually preferred the 2020 draft (minus the sob stories on every rookie) 

As for today, i expect us to come out with a TE, LB & QB (DTR?) 

I'd hate it, but also wouldn't be shocked if we go after a RB or K tonight as well 

I know we prioritize the DL a lot, but not sure how this DL class is 

4 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Atlanta taking Bijan i absolutely love. I get he is a RB but i feel he is way more than just a RB. He is a guy that can legitimately be spread out wide.

Bijan is CMC with a more power and wiggle.

I personally would never draft a RB that high...like ever. But I can totally see the rationale there.

He's definitely more than just a RB. 

His receiving skills are not being talked about enough imo.

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

First time in forever i didn't watch the 1st round. I don't like how extravagant its become. I actually preferred the 2020 draft (minus the sob stories on every rookie) 

As for today, i expect us to come out with a TE, LB & QB (DTR?) 

I'd hate it, but also wouldn't be shocked if we go after a RB or K tonight as well 

I know we prioritize the DL a lot, but not sure how this DL class is 

This first round was all over the place. You had guys like Emmanuel Forbes and Jack Campbell going in the middle of the first round where many thought they'd be 2nd rounders. I really liked both Forbes and Campbell though, so I don't hate either of those picks. Jahmyr Gibbs at 12 was another big one that stood out.

Nolan Smith falling to 30 surprised a lot of people; although I feel like it shouldn't have as much. Smith is an explosive player no doubt, but he's small and kind of a tweener imo. I wouldn't be all that shocked to see Philly stand him up. 

We SHOULD get to pick tonight, so I'm looking forward to that. 

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Definitely feels like the Eagles won opening night. That's annoying, but they're a well-run organization right now. The lose Hargrove but replace him with Carter. And the buzz about their linebackers being the weakspot on their D is also addressed in the first round. 

I'm indifferent about the Texans, Colts, and Panthers with their QBs. They could all work out, or flounder for various reasons that's been pointed out leading up to the draft, and it wouldn't be a shock. I'm already looking forward to who wins the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. 

Bijan Robinson as exciting as he is for the Falcons in Smith's offense, just feels like the wrong move. They weren't in the market for one of the top QBs, but maybe they could have continued to try and fix that defense as a priority??? I feel like NFL teams should be smarter about runningbacks, and their value as offensive contributors relative to their shelf-life these days. I will say though, if the 49ers nabbed CMC way back I would have been happy, so sometimes you just want your guy. #InGutMathWeTrust

I'm fascinated to see if Riley Moss gets picked in the next couple of days. Maybe he can be the next Jason Seahorn or Roger Wehrli in terms of "making it". 

Ehh, I don't know about that. Personally, I'm not sold on Carter at all. I forget where I saw it yesterday but it was something about how the staff at Georgia was very happy to see Carter leave, which is a really bad thing to hear. His off-the-field stuff seems to be pretty real.

Also, DTs that are picked high that have a lot of hype just don't seem to ever become what pundits say they will be. I'm just generally out on drafting DTs high.

With Smith, I'm worried that he will be like Aaron Maybin, Mingo, and all of the other light-weight speed rushers. Maybe Smith is different, but I need to see it on the field first.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ehh, I don't know about that. Personally, I'm not sold on Carter at all. I forget where I saw it yesterday but it was something about how the staff at Georgia was very happy to see Carter leave, which is a really bad thing to hear. His off-the-field stuff seems to be pretty real.

Also, DTs that are picked high that have a lot of hype just don't seem to ever become what pundits say they will be. I'm just generally out on drafting DTs high.

With Smith, I'm worried that he will be like Aaron Maybin, Mingo, and all of the other light-weight speed rushers. Maybe Smith is different, but I need to see it on the field first.

Yeah, I think Carter's off the field stuff is super real given that by all accounts the Bears loved his play and sent like 25 people into a deep dive on him and did not take him. From what I've heard Jordan Davis was kind of a big brother type that first year in Georgia and the Eagles are hoping that Davis can rein Carter in. Crazy good player if you can get him to play. Super worried about Nolan Smith specifically for the Eagles. They run a ton of those 5 man surfaces and Nolan Smith was born to play the sort of 3-4 OLB ish role occupied by Hassan Reddick. I think Smith would be a rough fit for a lot of teams, but they have a ready made role in their defense for him.

• Like 1

My Trade-Up Index:

Get crazy with it (High 2nd Round)

• Joey Porter Jr.
  • Michael Mayer
  • Keion White
  • Matt Bergeron
  • Brian Branch
  • BJ Ojulari

Semi-aggressive (Mid to Late 2nd)

• Sam LaPorta
  • Luke Musgrave
  • Derrick Hall
  • Isaiah Foskey
  • DJ Turner
  • Julius Brents
  • Kelee Ringo

The Bunny Hop (Early to Mid 3rd)

• Sydney Brown
  • Ji'Ayir Brown
  • Cody Mauch
  • Tyrique Stevenson
  • Tyler Steen
  • Wanya Morris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My Trade-Up Index:

Get crazy with it (High 2nd Round)

• Joey Porter Jr.
  • Michael Mayer
  • Keion White
  • Matt Bergeron
  • Brian Branch
  • BJ Ojulari

Semi-aggressive (Mid to Late 2nd)

• Sam LaPorta
  • Luke Musgrave
  • Derrick Hall
  • Isaiah Foskey
  • DJ Turner
  • Julius Brents
  • Kelee Ringo

The Bunny Hop (Early to Mid 3rd)

• Sydney Brown
  • Ji'Ayir Brown
  • Cody Mauch
  • Tyrique Stevenson
  • Tyler Steen
  • Wanya Morris

9ers have to make somes moves….making all there picks would be a waste and redundant with limited roster spots.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I personally would never draft a RB that high...like ever. But I can totally see the rationale there.

Oh for sure. He is the one type of RB that i think deserves to go high and should be coveted. Guys like Barkley, McCaffrey and in my eyes Bijan make it so much harder on the defense by simply being in the game. I totally get not drafting a RB high and to some degree i agree but there is a group of special talents that can do more than just run the ball and catch a swing route that can change a offense.

14 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

9ers have to make somes moves….making all there picks would be a waste and redundant with limited roster spots.

Of which most are fairly worthless 7th rounders(in a trade sense) that at the very least can add competition. There is easily 15-20 spots where i can see a 7th rounder sticking if they show enough but we have a competent guy in place to dethrone. I am not 100% against moving up but just because we have a lot of picks that doesn't mean we really have ammo to do something more than small trades unless we use more than one of our actually usefull picks which also probably will fill those actual roster holes. And at the point where we have most picks i am totally for more darts over one thrown by a slightly better thrower. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

100%. If you look at Bijan as more of a CMC/Deebo type player, the value is very high. He's not going to just be a RB. There will be plenty of times where Bijan, Allgeier, Pitts, London, and Jonnu Smith are all on the field at the same time with Patterson mixing in. You can squint and see a 49ers-like offense skill position group here. 

There's a lot to like with the Falcons right now, but like the Commanders, they can have all the talent on offense and still suck if Ridder isn't the guy. 

• Like 1