🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Simms sucks tbh. He's more of a shock value reporter and tries to be edgy to make headlines. He even had Zach Wilson about TrevorLawrence iirc.

Also says Tyree has an elite first step and incredible bend, which simply isn't true. I don't know where he is coming from in a lot of his Wilson takes. 

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Thanks very interesting both no combine #’s either 

Yup I said that yesterday. So that we don't really know how athletic he is unless you look at the tape in which he doesn't look very explosive. That's my primary concern in terms of the player specifically. 

26 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m headed to YouTube now to watch some tyree stuff to try to convince myself I’m wrong about him. 

I hope we use him inside more than on the edge Imo edge guys have to be fast we saw chandler get abused on the edge with his lack of speed 

no statue qbs in our division either

Go to tape don’t lie breakdown. Big fan of Marcus Johnson’s analysis. Those guys are not homers at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Yup I said that yesterday. So that we don't really know how athletic he is unless you look at the tape in which he doesn't look very explosive. That's my primary concern in terms of the player specifically. 

Explosion he clearly lacks. However he does have very nice athleticism past the first moments off the snap. Seemingly great closing speed and quickness. Not super bendy by any means but he's almost 270+ lbs. We shouldn't expect Von Miller here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think Wilson has a very solid floor absolute worst case. His strength and length will keep him a threat vs the run. However his ceiling is very high, maybe the highest in the draft. 

He has so much work to do and I pray he takes that next step or two a a rusher.

Agree on his floor. He will fall into production due to his length, strength, lateral movement and closing speed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Ziegs literally said in the post presser “he has a long way to go” 🤦🏽‍♂️ Not what I want to hear about a #7 pick

That’s just GM speak. When you put that statement in context they were talking about what the visit with him was like and his character and that he has a growth mindset and knows he needs to work to improve.

What do you expect him to say, ‘He’s the complete player with no need to work on his game’?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Explosion he clearly lacks. However he does have very nice athleticism past the first moments off the snap. Seemingly great closing speed and quickness. Not super bendy by any means but he's almost 270+ lbs. We shouldn't expect Von Miller here.

He’s explosive 

Edited by bucksavage1

I heard something interesting on a podcast that even with his slow get off, he still has one of the quickest time to the QB stats and that he is at the top of nearly every type of QB pressure stat.

Didn’t Riddick say he had the 2nd best pressure nos too?

I think this is what the FO are banking on. Improving his first step and using Maxx and Jones to teach him how to use his length and add to his pass rush arsenal. 

I can’t remember what Jones was like his first year or two? But Maxx has continued to add moves over time.

He’s gotta be stoked to be here with those 2. Probably one of the best places for him to come from his perspective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I mean he blew up a seemingly small TE, should we be jumping up and down in excitement? Just look how delayed he was off the snap lol. 

As most other prospects destroyed non nfl players. Coaching should help that his first step. He’s obviously extremely athletic and with more coaching technique, he could be a monster

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

As most other prospects destroyed non nfl players. Coaching should help that his first step. He’s obviously extremely athletic and with more coaching technique, he could be a monster

That's what we are all banking on. We recently hired a new DL coach in Rob Leonard. Let's hope he can continue to elevate that group. He used to coach the Ravens OLBs and a few groups on D in Miami: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/news/las-vegas-raiders-rob-leonard-defensive-line-coach-dave-ziegler

The Las Vegas Raiders have hired a new defensive line coach.

On Wednesday, Baltimore Ravens outside linebackers coach Rob Leonard is headed to Las Vegas, Ravens Coach John Harbaugh announced. Leonard joins the Raiders after one season in Baltimore.

Leonard replaces Frank Okam, fired last week after one season with the Raiders.

Leonard was with the Miami Dolphins for three seasons before joining the Ravens. He held the positions of linebackers coach, assistant defensive line coach, and outside linebackers coach under Coach Brian Flores.

The Dolphins’ defensive line improved each season under Leonard, going from only 23 sacks in 2019, the lowest number in the NFL, to 41 in 2020, 11th most in the NFL, to 48 in 2021, tied for fifth most.

Before his time in Miami, Leonard spent six seasons with the New York Giants, the first four years as a defensive assistant before being promoted to assistant defensive line coach and then assistant linebackers coach. In the 2014 season, the Giants were fourth in the NFL in sacks with 47.

This past season with the Ravens, Leonard was in charge of one of the best defensive line units in the NFL. The Ravens were tied for the fifth most sacks in the league with 48. The Ravens' defensive line unit featured a mix of veterans like Calais Campbell and Justin Houston and young, up-and-coming players like Justin Madibuike and Odafe Oweh.

The Raiders posted the third-fewest sacks in the NFL in 2022 with  27 and ranked 19th in the NFL in rushing yards per game allowed. While Maxx Crosby was one of the best edge rushers in the NFL last season, his counterpart Chandler Jones had an underwhelming season. The Raiders need to improve their edge rusher depth, as well as improve their interior defensive line.

General Manager Dave Ziegler is looking to improve the Raiders’ defensive line, as the best defenses in the NFL are the teams that get pressure on the quarterback, be it off the edge or from the interior. Leonard was hired because he has a track record of improving teams’ defensive lines. 

• Like 2

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

That's what we are all banking on. We recently hired a new DL coach in Rob Leonard. Let's hope he can continue to elevate that group. He used to coach the Ravens OLBs and a few groups on D in Miami: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/news/las-vegas-raiders-rob-leonard-defensive-line-coach-dave-ziegler

We also have good vets in Maxx and Chan Jones. There are the type of vets to take him under their wing. Hope Wilson can have a Micah Parsons type impact

30 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think you need to be super bendy as I've been saying that on this forum for years now. However, I do think some level of explosion is necessary. 

• Like 1