🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Who does Wilson compare to in the NFL?

Funny enough I have read Chandler Jones. CBS says Judon:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/tyree-wilson-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-prospect-profile-nfl-combine-results-pro-comparison-more/

CBS prospect ranking

Position: No. 2 EDGE | Overall: No. 8 | Rating: 92.23 (All-Pro)

CBS Sports mock drafts

Ryan Wilson: Cardinals (No. 3)

Chris Trapasso: Seahawks (No. 5)

Josh Edwards: Falcons (No. 😎

Pete Prisco: Falcons (No. 😎

Kyle Stackpole: Falcons (No. 😎

Expected draft position (via Grinding the Mocks): 4.7 (EDGE2)

NFL comparison

Matt Judon

NE • OLB • #9

Scouting report

Tyree Wilson is a length and strength edge rusher with a tall, angular frame. His patented straight-arm is effective. He is smoother than he is dynamic, although he's not slow off the line. Chips don't faze him, and he battles through contact like it's nothing. He works hard against the run on a consistent basis. At times, he gets stuck to blocks, and while his hand work isn't super polished, he constantly works. Leverage isn't great because he's tall, but there's plenty of power to his game. Quality bend to his game, but it's a not a true specialty, and he has limited ability to dip. He has experience inside and was effective there. Overall, he's a long, high-motor, decently refined three-down EDGE with some suddenness limitations but big-time ability.

Strengths

Tall, sleek frame; seriously intimidating on the edge

Super-long and utilizes his length to his advantage as a rusher

Balance is good, chips don't knock him off his spot often

Hard worker against the run

Motor hums all game

Weaknesses

Can get stuck to blocks without the ability to quickly counter

Because he's so tall, his center of gravity is high, which leaves him susceptible to squattier blockers who can get under him and control him

Dipping around the corner far from a forte

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

That’s just GM speak. When you put that statement in context they were talking about what the visit with him was like and his character and that he has a growth mindset and knows he needs to work to improve.

What do you expect him to say, ‘He’s the complete player with no need to work on his game’?

He was talking about his game iirc hand usage etc 

for a #7 pick I’d like to hear that’s he’s ready to go. I don’t really like projects in the top 15 personally 

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

I heard something interesting on a podcast that even with his slow get off, he still has one of the quickest time to the QB stats and that he is at the top of nearly every type of QB pressure stat.

Didn’t Riddick say he had the 2nd best pressure nos too?

I think this is what the FO are banking on. Improving his first step and using Maxx and Jones to teach him how to use his length and add to his pass rush arsenal. 

I can’t remember what Jones was like his first year or two? But Maxx has continued to add moves over time.

He’s gotta be stoked to be here with those 2. Probably one of the best places for him to come from his perspective.

Maxx had a1 technique, length, speed and motor as a prospect that’s what interested me 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's what we are all banking on. We recently hired a new DL coach in Rob Leonard. Let's hope he can continue to elevate that group. He used to coach the Ravens OLBs and a few groups on D in Miami: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/news/las-vegas-raiders-rob-leonard-defensive-line-coach-dave-ziegler

That’s my conclusion it’s all up to the coaches now. He’s a great lump of clay to mold. 

51 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yall I'll give yall a pass for passing on Carter this time

I'm not the biggest Tyree fan because I think he's too slow off the snap, but he's at size and length and will hopefully develop for yall 

Gotta think you draft Levis somehow

Remember our (well, likely yours as well) exposure to Levis when he came in relief of Clifford who got hurt? I thought he was going to beat us as he was running all over the field. He was close to our end zone and threw that INT when he was trying to hit his TE in traffic. Pretty sure that was the game. I remember thinking "Man, this dude is going to be a problem for us in the future" but then he couldn't beat out Clifford and I lost all faith in that being true. The faith is still lost and I hope he doesn't get picked to come here lol. It would sting less being in the second round and not 7th overall though.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781