πŸ”₯ Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

On 4/28/2023 at 12:05 PM, Rolni said:

Chandler has issues with his get off (it was in his scouting reports) and worked on it, worked around it.

That is something I did not know and is pretty important. If he can improve that reaction and first step he could be a very good player. Jones has done nice counter moves too so hopefully he can learn from a guy who was a great pass rusher in his prime. Jones seems like a great mentor type for Wilson and of course Crosby was certainly not a complete player coming out so he could be a great help too. If you’re going to pick a DE who needs finessing then we actually have a great situation for him.

This pick is growing on me the more I read about and watch him.Β 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 8:21 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Tyree is not a great public speaker. Seems super nervous and goofy.

He seems genuine and humble though and I love those qualities. Seems like a gentle giant off the field but hopefully a maniac on it πŸ™‚

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:59 PM, BackinBlack said:

lol i know and agree, I was just showing the draft profile as it used the buzz words listed, i searched them and tj watt came up. Aagain I dont agree, I can understand Cle comparison but dont see it.Β 
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/t.j.-watt/32005741-5458-7616-6d9a-681b6f6e278d
He has a slow first step no doubt, but good motor and seems strong.Β 
I think his skillset will pair well with crosbyΒ  too, ideally put Crosby against the bigger tackle and let him with finess, and then put wilson up against the weaker and he can hopefully bullrush through them.Β 

I don’t have concrete stats on it but just watching the games Crosby lines up on the Left side (vs RT) on nearly every snap. Β Crosby ain’t moving anytime soon, so Wilson will be playing the right side (vs LT). Β 

The bull rush the β€œweaker” LT sounds great in theory but the bull rush only works (consistently) if there’s the threat of other moves. Β Otherwise the OT expects its coming and just anchors down. Β So developing a few moves or combos would greatly help Wilson. Β If he could Improve his explosion off the line and use a speed to power rush I’d be TOUGH to stop. Β Also,Β I don’t buy the idea LTs are weaker then RTs. Β On a case by case basis sure but i don’t think it’s a true stereotype in todays game. Β 

I’d need better tape then YouTube videos to be sure of my hunch, but I think part of Wilson’s poor explosion off the line/first step is because he looks up to read the play. Β The other issue is he takes small stutter steps initially and stand upright far too much. Β 
That seems like a very fixable issue. Β 

Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida had a similar issue as he was incredibly slow off the snap but has 4.88 speed at 6’6 310. Β 

With that size and length Wilson should be eating up space on the OT’s drop with the first step … if he explodes out and stays down. Β So if he can correct his technique and get that mental flaw out of his game (i don’t think it’s something he’s coached to do) then he could turn a weakness into a moderate advantage. Β He’s never going to be speed demon like Dwight Freeny/Jevon Kearse but it could be a small advantage in his profile. Β 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Β 

Apparently, JMD stopped Wilson before the press conference and told him under no circumstances is he to discuss the foot injury and any timelines or discuss expectations.

That might just be a coach giving good advice to a draftee, but it is concerning … hopefully he’s ready for the Start of TC. Β I hate to idea of a high draft pick missing the start of his first training camp for their short term development and impact in year 1.

Edited by jimkelly02

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Apparently, JMD stopped Wilson before the press conference and told him under no circumstances is he to discuss the foot injury and any timelines or discuss expectations.

That might just be a coach giving good advice to a draftee, but it is concerning … hopefully he’s ready for the Start of TC. Β I hate to idea of a high draft pick missing the start of his first training camp for their short term development and impact in year 1.

As a control freak myself it's VERY DISTURBING!!! lolΒ 

I need to hit 7 billion in lotto so I just steal the team out from under Mark. Then I can control as Al did. Mahahahaaa

PS The extra billion was for fun money...

OK I saw his highlights. It looks like he’s slow at diagnosing the play but once he figures out the play, he’s like a bullet to the ball. It’s an easy fix .He has to realize that he should always be going forward and diagnose to play as you’re moving.

23 minutes ago, G said:

As a control freak myself it's VERY DISTURBING!!! lolΒ 

I need to hit 7 billion in lotto so I just steal the team out from under Mark. Then I can control as Al did. Mahahahaaa

PS The extra billion was for fun money...

I would like to put my rΓ©sumΓ© in for a College Scout. I’ll do Florida since I live here.

Edited by Bitty 2.0
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t have concrete stats on it but just watching the games Crosby lines up on the Left side (vs RT) on nearly every snap. Β Crosby ain’t moving anytime soon, so Wilson will be playing the right side (vs LT). Β 

The bull rush the β€œweaker” LT sounds great in theory but the bull rush only works (consistently) if there’s the threat of other moves. Β Otherwise the OT expects its coming and just anchors down. Β So developing a few moves or combos would greatly help Wilson. Β If he could Improve his explosion off the line and use a speed to power rush I’d be TOUGH to stop. Β Also,Β I don’t buy the idea LTs are weaker then RTs. Β On a case by case basis sure but i don’t think it’s a true stereotype in todays game. Β 

I’d need better tape then YouTube videos to be sure of my hunch, but I think part of Wilson’s poor explosion off the line/first step is because he looks up to read the play. Β The other issue is he takes small stutter steps initially and stand upright far too much. Β 
That seems like a very fixable issue. Β 

Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida had a similar issue as he was incredibly slow off the snap but has 4.88 speed at 6’6 310. Β 

With that size and length Wilson should be eating up space on the OT’s drop with the first step … if he explodes out and stays down. Β So if he can correct his technique and get that mental flaw out of his game (i don’t think it’s something he’s coached to do) then he could turn a weakness into a moderate advantage. Β He’s never going to be speed demon like Dwight Freeny/Jevon Kearse but it could be a small advantage in his profile. Β 

I dont understand why we dont move our players around to create mismatches though. Teams do it against us, why cant we ever do it. Teams figure out our alignments and scheme ways to get Kelce being covered by ferell lol. I think some creativity in how we use our players could help. Not talking about every snap here, but a few wrinkle plays here and there.Β 

I agree Wilson needs to learn some more moves, and I agree that his first step could be coachable.Β 
Its easy to see why Wilson went high, if he can improve off the line he will be a beast. He is not slow, he just seems to process slow / maybe worried about the run etc.Β 
Β 

• Like 1

I initially wrote that I liked the pick, but it's hard to get excited about it. I always liked Wilson as a prospect. I think he's "safe" despite having room to improve. However, I don't see him as a future All-Pro or perennial All-Pro-type player, but as a Preston Smith/Z'Darius Smith-type. That said, I like him more than both Hutchinson and Walker from last year. The only other player I would have preferred is probably Gonzalez because of how rare and expensive corners can get. And, I felt like Gonzalez is more likely to become an elite corner than Wilson is to become an elite pass rusher.

• Like 1