🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

We couldn’t take Carter after the Ruggs incident. Raiders been in Vegas 3 years, a player has already  killed someone and their dog, and you want them to go out and pick someone that was involved in another high speed car accident that led to multiple deaths? It would have been a huge slap in the face to the city and the Ruggs victims imo

They know that.... this isn't about that logic. It's about finding any narrative to complain about JMD/DZ to make themselves feel better. 

I'm a UGA guy and I wouldn't have trusted Carter. There were not a lot of people in his corner with the UGA staff. That tells you something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They know that.... this isn't about that logic. It's about finding any narrative to complain about JMD/DZ to make themselves feel better. 

I'm a UGA guy and I wouldn't have trusted Carter. There were not a lot of people in his corner with the UGA staff. That tells you something. 

same things were said about Micah Parsons, good teams take good players. 

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Imagine actively rooting for a first round pick to fail so you can "stick it to the GM" because you don't like him.

I get JMD/DZ are not a fan favorites, but is continuing the revolving door of coaches and GMs really the outcome you all want?

No one is rooting for him to fail. It was just obviously a bad pick with Carter still on the board. Just like taking Ruggs over CeeDee Lamb a couple years back. 

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No one is rooting for him to fail. It was just obviously a bad pick with Carter still on the board. Just like taking Ruggs over CeeDee Lamb a couple years back. 

You just going to ignore Wilson's draft status completely then? Not taking a troubled player with red flags and sticking him in Vegas does not make Wilson a bad pick. Especially when Wilson was consider by some the top prospect in the draft and top 5 pick in most cases. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You just going to ignore Wilson's draft status completely then? Not taking a troubled player with red flags and sticking him in Vegas does not make Wilson a bad pick. Especially when Wilson was consider by some the top prospect in the draft and top 5 pick in most cases. 

Passing on an elite prospect for a good prospect is always going to be a bad pick in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

same things were said about Micah Parsons, good teams take good players. 

we knew there was a good chance this would happen, the Raiders just couldnt take that chance. He landed in an ideal situation. It just sucks because he is exactly what was needed for this defense. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Geezy said:

we knew there was a good chance this would happen, the Raiders just couldnt take that chance. He landed in an ideal situation. It just sucks because he is exactly what was needed for this defense. 

No one ever said he wasn’t a good player, he’ll excel at football 100% of the time he gets in trouble off the field. How long before he’s self destruct?

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

We couldn’t take Carter after the Ruggs incident. Raiders been in Vegas 3 years, a player has already  killed someone and their dog, and you want them to go out and pick someone that was involved in another high speed car accident that led to multiple deaths? It would have been a huge slap in the face to the city and the Ruggs victims imo

That’s a great point. It would of looked tone deaf to draft a player who was involved in a fatal accident due to racing after the Ruggs situation 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Passing on an elite prospect for a good prospect is always going to be a bad pick in my eyes. 

Now he's just a "good" player? Many think he has the highest upside of any player in the class. But sure... 

Maybe they took a great player with no red flags over a great player with red flags...... did that thought cross your mind?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Now he's just a "good" player? Many think he has the highest upside of any player in the class. But sure... 

Maybe they took a great player with no red flags over a great player with red flags...... did that thought cross your mind?

Who thought Tyree Wilson had the highest upside of any player in the draft? Find me one credible scout or service that had him ranked above Will Anderson or Jalen Carter? He suffered the injury in November of last year and he's still not ready to go 8-9 months later. You do realize that Lisfranc can potentially be a career ending thing, right? 

When he got hurt he said he'd be ready for the combine, then it was his pro day, then it was OTA's, then it was training camp. The fact that he's still not ready to go is pretty damn scary. 

https://sicscore.com/nfl/updates/2023-nfl-draft-why-tyree-wilsons-foot-is-still-cause-for-concern

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Wilson seemed to be a top 5 pick most places I saw him ranked. It's the foot injury that he slid and might have slid some more. DT was a bigger need and Carter was BPA but red flags and history of 
Vegas, not only Ruggs but Hobbs and even former RB Lynch all happened in Vegas and involved being in their cars. Both Carter and Wilson have massive upside. DE is a more valued position and if it was Mayock he'd probably gone the safer route with Gonzo at CB. Wilson has a low floor (Ferrell) but could be All Pro in 3 years especially with Crosby on the other side. Probably becomes something in between and a 8-12 sack guy who's stout against the run. Time to coach him up and see what he can do. 

Edited by G
  • Like 2

I'm no expert but I was looking at mock drafts religiously and was seeing Wilson going top 5 most of the time and didn't even think he would make it to us. Just look at pictures of the guy standing next to other draft picks he looks like an absolute freak. I hope he just shows some flashes this year behind Crosby and Chandler. We need to have bookend DE's that are menaces with the QB's who are in our division for the next 10 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaribouLou said:

I'm no expert but I was looking at mock drafts religiously and was seeing Wilson going top 5 most of the time and didn't even think he would make it to us. Just look at pictures of the guy standing next to other draft picks he looks like an absolute freak. I hope he just shows some flashes this year behind Crosby and Chandler. We need to have bookend DE's that are menaces with the QB's who are in our division for the next 10 years.

Dude been hurt for like 8 months 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Dude been hurt for like 8 months 

What is your point? Does it mean that he couldn't be an exceptional player for the Raiders in the future, or what?

So far your arguments are:

- WIlson is hurt

&
- Carter looks very good in TC

There is not a single snap played yet. What if Carter gets an injury in an pre-season game and misses the whole season?

• Like 3

We couldn't afford to take Carter.  The dude had/has too many red flags.  I think we did well to get Wilson.  I'm sure our team knew in detail what Wilson's medical issues are.  

We just need to hold out hope that everything works out well.  I'm not counting Wilson out until we're in year 3 and he hasn't produced at all.  Hopefully he becomes everything we were hoping Ferrell would become.

• Like 2