🔥 Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm still upset we passed on Carter but 100% understand why we did.

This. Mainly for me the insult it would’ve been to victims family. We could’ve used Carter for sure, Wilson will heal 100% hopefully. But imo the getting in trouble thing isn’t just a Vegas thing, I’ve lived in Vegas 6yrs. And spent 7yrs in NOLA. There’s plenty of trouble to get into in NOLA too....trust me. Lol! However, 1 city has had a team for approx 50 years A. And B, has a different kinda law (moreso “good ol boy” football friendly. The other city hasn’t had a team for even 50 months, is considered “the devil” because it’s the worlds gambling Mecca, and has law that has a different attitude “metro” are definitely considered D*CKS by most who have lived there.  Different vastly, but very similar as far as potential trouble with extra curricular activities. Again IMO strictly. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 2:24 PM, big_palooka said:

You just going to ignore Wilson's draft status completely then? Not taking a troubled player with red flags and sticking him in Vegas does not make Wilson a bad pick. Especially when Wilson was consider by some the top prospect in the draft and top 5 pick in most cases. 

This is a rare situation where I gotta agree with you 100%.  Wilson and Carter were very very closely valued prospects.  I do not think he was the top prospect in the draft but we was certainly worthy of a top 5 pick and thus a very good value pick at 7.  I’d have loved to have FINALLY gotten a young, talented DT but I can’t knock the FO for not taking a MASSIVE risk with Carter.  I don’t even know how the Front Office, after the Riggs manslaughter case, could seriously consider Carter if he just had involvement in the racing crash and death.  How could you draft a prospect who just was criminally responsible for a fatal car accident right after Ruggs’ situation?  Aside fro, the massive risk, the PR backlash would have been rightfully massive.  Not to mention, he’s got effort and stamina issues plus severe and numerous character Issues.

Hopefully Carter cleans up his act and succeeds in the NFL and life.  He’s got an opportunity to create generational wealth for him and his family.   But if I was a betting man I’d put everything I could afford to lose on him having issues or one big issue that jeopardizes or ends his career before year 3 concludes.  The kid certainly doesn’t have any maturity and self awareness as he recently posted an IG of him wearing a red bandana and hand signing in a car with four people (teammates from Georgia) , which brought out reports of him being a gang member (Bloods).  While the reports are probably just false speculation, anyone with a borderline level of maturity for his age would stop posting on IG or just turn it over to a PR person to rebuild his image/brand.  He should be posting videos of him volunteering with kids and working out and nothing else.  Instead he’s acting like a teenager who has no direction.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

This is a rare situation where I gotta agree with you 100%.  Wilson and Carter were very very closely valued prospects.  

No they weren't. Carter was an elite prospect and one of the best interior DL prospects that we've seen in the last decade. 

On 7/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, jimkelly02 said:

This is a rare situation where I gotta agree with you 100%.  Wilson and Carter were very very closely valued prospects.  I do not think he was the top prospect in the draft but we was certainly worthy of a top 5 pick and thus a very good value pick at 7.  I’d have loved to have FINALLY gotten a young, talented DT but I can’t knock the FO for not taking a MASSIVE risk with Carter.  I don’t even know how the Front Office, after the Riggs manslaughter case, could seriously consider Carter if he just had involvement in the racing crash and death.  How could you draft a prospect who just was criminally responsible for a fatal car accident right after Ruggs’ situation?  Aside fro, the massive risk, the PR backlash would have been rightfully massive.  Not to mention, he’s got effort and stamina issues plus severe and numerous character Issues.

Hopefully Carter cleans up his act and succeeds in the NFL and life.  He’s got an opportunity to create generational wealth for him and his family.   But if I was a betting man I’d put everything I could afford to lose on him having issues or one big issue that jeopardizes or ends his career before year 3 concludes.  The kid certainly doesn’t have any maturity and self awareness as he recently posted an IG of him wearing a red bandana and hand signing in a car with four people (teammates from Georgia) , which brought out reports of him being a gang member (Bloods).  While the reports are probably just false speculation, anyone with a borderline level of maturity for his age would stop posting on IG or just turn it over to a PR person to rebuild his image/brand.  He should be posting videos of him volunteering with kids and working out and nothing else.  Instead he’s acting like a teenager who has no direction.

This sums it all up perfectly.  The same people that are complaining about passing on Carter are the same ones that would be bashing the Raiders if we did draft him and then next offseason he does something that ends his career.

Edit:  I just wanted to say he probably would've showed up to training camp with the Raiders like 40 lbs overweight.  I doubt he would've been motivated to play for our team while we're currently in rebuild mode (or whatever the heck McDaniels is doing).

Edited by Jerry

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I forgot he chose #9. I don't really dig single digits on Defenders, especially DL. But it's whatever.

Mannnnnn I saw you replied on here from the main Raiders forum and I was like UPDATE!!! Only to come in and see you pissy about number 9. 🤣😂. I was disappointed.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Totty said:

Mannnnnn I saw you replied on here from the main Raiders forum and I was like UPDATE!!! Only to come in and see you pissy about number 9. 🤣😂. I was disappointed.  

That’s some funny sh*t there.....you’ve set the bar high for yourself “RaidersAreOne”.....gotta keep feedin us hungry Raider Fans now....👍🤣🤣🍻

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 10:19 AM, Jerry said:

This sums it all up perfectly.  The same people that are complaining about passing on Carter are the same ones that would be bashing the Raiders if we did draft him and then next offseason he does something that ends his career.

Edit:  I just wanted to say he probably would've showed up to training camp with the Raiders like 40 lbs overweight.  I doubt he would've been motivated to play for our team while we're currently in rebuild mode (or whatever the heck McDaniels is doing).

I would've been jumping for joy if we drafted him. If guys like Crosby, Chandler, Adams, etc. are such "great leaders" why would they allow a young superstar talent to throw his career away? Dude left the scene of a street race and had zero other issues outside of that. Y'all will say anything to justify passing on an elite guy for an okay player. 

Just like y'all loved the Ruggs pick as a field stretcher instead of us landing the clear cut bonafide #1 WR in the class in CeeDee. How'd that work out?

Passed on Burns for Ferrell

It's a story as old as time, the Raiders passing on great prospects for okay / mediocre ones.

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I would've been jumping for joy if we drafted him. If guys like Crosby, Chandler, Adams, etc. are such "great leaders" why would they allow a young superstar talent to throw his career away? Dude left the scene of a street race and had zero other issues outside of that. Y'all will say anything to justify passing on an elite guy for an okay player. 

Just like y'all loved the Ruggs pick as a field stretcher instead of us landing the clear cut bonafide #1 WR in the class in CeeDee. How'd that work out?

It's a story as old as time, the Raiders passing on great prospects for okay / mediocre ones.

non of this matters though, because Wins / Losses are only a QB stat, and we now have a winner at QB. 
quit complaining, we going to the SB! 7th best win percentage!!!!!
Teams mean nothing, just QB!

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lfzbo5eypk9q6j6gk6

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio has reported that "the word making the rounds before the draft was that the Georgia coaches did not have nice things to say" about Carter. PFT did not mention this until Friday morning "so as not to participate in the pre-draft effort to get guys to fall." 

Florio added that NFL Network's Ian Rapoport "hinted" at the story about the Georgia coaching staff during the station's draft coverage:

"We’ve heard it more bluntly and strongly," Florio continued. "Members of the Georgia coaching staff are not Jalen Carter fans, and they weren’t bashful about saying so." 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Didn't he show up to a workout and he was out of shape?  He couldn't finish it right?  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3459859/jalen-carter-showed-up-to-georgias-pro-day-out-of-shape-and-failed-to-complete-drills-as-his-nfl-draft-stock-continues-to-decline

Just looked it up. Link above.  

I think it's hilarious how you think having great leaders on a team somehow will keep a grown man from making mistakes.  It isn't for Chandler, Crosby, Adams, or anyone else to babysit a grown man.  If Carter is going to make mistakes literally no one can stop him from doing it.  Just look at Ruggs, he easily could've called an UBER or teammate/friend.  Instead he chose to end his career and the life of another human being.  You cannot, no matter how hard you try, stop someone from making mistakes if they choose to make them.

The way you're lumping past picks into this doesn't make them the same.  Hindsight is always 20/20 for one.  But us passing on Burns and CeeDee is just Gruden and Mayock being bad at drafting.  It's different.  Carter was involved in a race that resulted in people dying.  Then he showed up to a pro day and was out of shape and failed to complete the drills.  Ruggs and Ferrell didn't have those issues.

I don't know if Tyree Wilson is going to pan out with his injury history but there's a for sure way to find out.  Just wait and see.  Same goes for Carter.  If he pans out, good for him.  If he doesn't and off field issues have him out of the NFL in a year or two, then we avoided another disaster.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 2