πŸ”₯ Pick #7 is in: Tyree Wilson, DL, Texas Tech

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He could easily put on another 10-15 pounds. Just imagine a 290 pound freak of an athlete DE.

TBH I think working hard on his get off, leverage and counters (as he does have some heavy hands) will probably do more for him than adding 20 lbs.Β 

Β 

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

TBH I think working hard on his get off, leverage and counters (as he does have some heavy hands) will probably do more for him than adding 20 lbs.Β 

Β 

True but I do think he has a lot of potential as an inside/outside player. I think that's what he's getting at.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

True but I do think he has a lot of potential as an inside/outside player. I think that's what he's getting at.

I’m definitely interested in seeing Wilson used as a DT on some passing downs. Β With his long arms and strength he could be very good as the set up guy on TE stunts… attacking the OT and G to free up Crosby or C. Jones slanting inside. Β On plays when he rushes straight up his length could cause problems for Gs and he could become very good at knocking passes down.

Last year there was a point when using Ferrell inside and Crosby outside on passing downs, so I could see us replacing Ferrell with Wilson this year.Β 

But he’s gotta get rid of that ridiculous stand right up off the snap thing he does. Β He’s got to stay low and explode off the ball if he plays inside.

The more he’s on the field the better it is for his development IMO so is ld like to seen Graham be creative with him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Β 

I don’t think it’s anything physical. I think he has issues diagnosing the play.
if you just let him go on a pass rush, he’s pretty quick

On 6/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, agarcia34 said:

He will probably eventually get up to 280 when they start to add muscle to his frame. Sky is the limit for the young man

Without googling for shirtless photos of the guy, Iol, I think his current 6’6 271 lbΒ frame would allow for him to add up to 15 pounds. Β However, i don’t think that would be ideal. I think it’s cost him burst and agility if he got β€œtoo big”. Β I’d like him to hover around 275-278 by year 2. Β I’m not going to pretend to be a strength and conditioning coach here, but i will say continuing to add strength and not mass seems like the preferred route. Β 

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Without googling for shirtless photos of the guy, Iol, I think his current 6’6 271 lbΒ frame would allow for him to add up to 15 pounds. Β However, i don’t think that would be ideal. I think it’s cost him burst and agility if he got β€œtoo big”. Β I’d like him to hover around 275-278 by year 2. Β I’m not going to pretend to be a strength and conditioning coach here, but i will say continuing to add strength and not mass seems like the preferred route. Β 

Another thing to consider when adding mass is that some people’s tendons and ligaments can take that no problem, others struggle with injuries. Putting on mass quickly can be a problem as the body needs time to adjust and you need to retain or even improve flexibility to avoid increase in injuries usually.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Another thing to consider when adding mass is that some people’s tendons and ligaments can take that no problem, others struggle with injuries. Putting on mass quickly can be a problem as the body needs time to adjust and you need to retain or even improve flexibility to avoid increase in injuries usually.

That’s very true… you went into far more depth then I did but I specifically said by year 2 for the same basic albeit more limited reasoning.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:11 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don’t think it’s anything physical. I think he has issues diagnosing the play.
if you just let him go on a pass rush, he’s pretty quick

It's weird to watch him play.Β  I don't think he has an issue necessarily diagnosing the play.Β  He just doesn't really move until he knows what's going on.Β  It's weird to watch because he literally will wait for the play to start to unfold before he just rips through the OL and makes what plays he can.Β  And he's typically very effective with what he does.Β  I think the goal for the DL coach will be to just get him to move before he tries to diagnose the play on offense.Β 

I think he's going to be a really good DL for us.Β  Just need him to develop some pass rush moves and move off the line of scrimmage when the ball is hiked instead of watching behind the LOS to see what's about to happen before he begins to really move.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It's weird to watch him play.Β  I don't think he has an issue necessarily diagnosing the play.Β  He just doesn't really move until he knows what's going on.Β  It's weird to watch because he literally will wait for the play to start to unfold before he just rips through the OL and makes what plays he can.Β  And he's typically very effective with what he does.Β  I think the goal for the DL coach will be to just get him to move before he tries to diagnose the play on offense.Β 

I think he's going to be a really good DL for us.Β  Just need him to develop some pass rush moves and move off the line of scrimmage when the ball is hiked instead of watching behind the LOS to see what's about to happen before he begins to really move.

Man I hope it’s as simple as that. Β Seems like an easy fix if so. Β I was super down on him during the draft build up do to that get-off. He fixes that, him and Crosby long-term Β would be huge for a lot of our defensive issues at the 2nd and 3rd levels too.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:25 AM, Darbsk said:

Your absolutely right.

I’m not knocking Wilson but he’s got several MAJOR parts Of his game that need to be cleaned up. Β I wouldn’t call him RAW in the sense that he couldn’t come in year 1 and produce at a solid level, but he does have big parts of his game that can be refined and make him a top echelon DE.Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your absolutely right.

I’m not knocking Wilson but he’s got several MAJOR parts Of his game that need to be cleaned up. Β I wouldn’t call him RAW in the sense that he couldn’t come in year 1 and produce at a solid level, but he does have big parts of his game that can be refined and make him a top echelon DE.Β 

All of that is true but he’s just a kid he’s going to get bigger

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

All of that is true but he’s just a kid he’s going to get bigger

I’m sure he will. Β I’ve said that a few posts back. Β He’s got a very be good frame to add weight. Β I simply said I wouldn’t try and pack 20lbs on him. Β There’s not many 290lb DE’s for 43s.Β 

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m sure he will. Β I’ve said that a few posts back. Β He’s got a very be good frame to add weight. Β I simply said I wouldn’t try and pack 20lbs on him. Β There’s not many 290lb DE’s for 43s.Β 

Not these days but Reggie White at 6'5 300lbs just moved people. That's my ceiling and Chandler Jones is my lowest desire. Could easily get an Alonzo Spellman though. lol