2023 NFL Draft: Day 2 Discussion

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, it's part of a trend that teams don't want to make the same mistake that the Packers did in drafting Love, as they don't view him as one of the elite QBs, so they don't want to give up valuable 2nd/3rd rd picks to move back into the 1st to get him when the return for doing so really isn't that much different than taking him in the 2nd.

But would it really take much more to trade to 31 than 32?

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

You just have more optimism than I do.  I certainly don't argue that Flores won't scheme better, because he can't be worse, but like I said earlier, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop.  And I'm not very optimistic about the talent on defense, at least for 2023.  The proven talent left in the free agent market is old and over-priced on the DL or middle-aged and uninspiring at CB. 

Didnt Mike Zimmer do that in his 1st year?

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Outside the Smiths and Hunter, are there any players you are confident (adding Cine should help the S) can take it to the next level with a better scheme? 

Honestly yes,  Booth is a guy that sticks out to me mainly because I was so high on him last year and I think the scheme will be more beneficial but his biggest hurdle is going to be staying healthy.  I also wouldn't count out Asamoah but I guess that all depends what you mean by taking it to the next level

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Outside the Smiths and Hunter, are there any players you are confident (adding Cine should help the S) can take it to the next level with a better scheme? 

I expect Murphy to help a lot - very high on him. I also expect the ILBs to look much better because Jordan Hicks theoretically won't be trying to cover pass catching backs on wheel routes.

The amount of time that Hunter, Z Smith, Hicks, and Kendricks spent in coverage last year was unacceptable. Hicks was actually really good at the LOS, and Asamoah should be better in coverage than Kendricks.

I really like the pass rush rotation that they have with Hunter, Z Smith (if he stays) Davenport, Wonnum, and PJ2. Even if Z leaves, that's a very capable group. 

Tonga was a bright spot on the DL, and Lowry and Phillips are pretty good. Depth there is still an issue.

Adding CBs and DL (5T or 1T) the rest of the way is crucial, but I think that a scheme change can and will maximize the defensive talent on the roster. 

• Like 3

Just now, JDBrocks said:

I expect Murphy to help a lot - very high on him. I also expect the ILBs to look much better because Jordan Hicks theoretically won't be trying to cover pass catching backs on wheel routes.

The amount of time that Hunter, Z Smith, Hicks, and Kendricks spent in coverage last year was unacceptable. Hicks was actually really good at the LOS, and Asamoah should be better in coverage than Kendricks.

I really like the pass rush rotation that they have with Hunter, Z Smith (if he stays) Davenport, Wonnum, and PJ2. Even if Z leaves, that's a very capable group. 

Tonga was a bright spot on the DL, and Lowry and Phillips are pretty good. Depth there is still an issue.

Adding CBs and DL (5T or 1T) the rest of the way is crucial, but I think that a scheme change can and will maximize the defensive talent on the roster. 

I agree with all this. I think PJ2 needs to play more, and I'm 100% hoping those three "never" cover anyone again.