Commanders select Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State with the #16 pick

MikeT14

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

He's a ball hawk, we haven’t had one in our secondary since DHALL retired. Smoot held up at 170-180 pounds his entire career and 15-20 year's ago it was more a run first league. I think Forbes will put on some weight - like 10 pounds - and be fine. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:19 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

That was I believe when he was a freshman and improved each year. He competes. 

It was but it was apart of what I saw watching him grow and not making the same mistakes twice. Plus Forbes has already said that’s the matchup he’s looking forward too the most 

• Like 3

Forbes needs to drink protein shakes with every meal (6 meals a day) and even dry scoop some protein/put it in drinks or on yogurt or whatever & train his legs heavily 3 days a week. His legs look like a marathon runner's legs & that’s why he only weighs 166, it's not his upper body - that's fine - he needs more leg muscles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scot McCloughan is extremely high on rookie CB Emmanuel Forbes

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/30/former-washington-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-is-extremely-high-on-rookie-cb-emmanuel-forbes-2023-nfl-draft/ via @washington_wire

Recently, McCloughan was a guest on the “Kevin Sheehan Show” podcast and reviewed Washington’s draft. One thing is clear with McCloughan, he loves football and is never bitter about his time with Washington, even when he has plenty of reason to be.

Now, for his analysis. He’s a big fan of first-round pick cornerback Emmanuel Forbes.

“It’s the only thing that held me back from giving him a top-10 grade, in my opinion,” he said of Forbes’ weight. “I thought athletically, everybody was talking about Christian Gonzalez, being the most, numbers-wise, testing and all that, and he probably was on paper; I thought watching tape this year of all the corners, I thought he [Forbes] was the most gifted, being able to play press and play off.

And the thing that’s unique about him playing press, you can well say he isn’t strong enough, he’s got good length, and he’s smart. He reminds me a lot of Richard Sherman, who we drafted in Seattle, from the standpoint where he might not be the quickest, fastest, or have the most twitch, but the son of a gun is always in a play-making position, always gets his hands on the ball and when he does it’s an interception. It changes games.”

McCloughan noted how a much smaller Forbes wasn’t afraid to attack ball carriers in the running game in the rugged SEC, something you don’t often see from other cornerbacks.

What about second-round pick Quan Martin?

McCloughan said, “I might like him even more.”

McCloughan noted how regardless of how many Illinois games you watched of Martin, he was the same in every game, in a good way. He was always good, always reliable, and around the football. Can play anywhere in the secondary and on day one.

McCloughan praised all of Washington’s picks and did say seventh-round pick, Andre Jones, he didn’t see enough to give an evaluation. However, he really likes Ricky Stromberg, Braeden Daniels, Chris Rodriguez Jr. and K.J. Henry. Believes the Commanders found good players throughout the draft.“

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Whether you agree with the pick, this is pretty cool BTS. 

Thank you N E. ! They ended up swapping #14 for #17 for a 4th rd pick from Pittsburgh . Asking a 3 from us was ridiculas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Whether you agree with the pick, this is pretty cool BTS. 

I didn't see anything about trading back in that. So any notion of them trying to trade out of 16 is false. 

That being said, I hope that Forbes validates their trust and faith. I'm glad that they got "their guy" and didn't move up for him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I didn't see anything about trading back in that. So any notion of them trying to trade out of 16 is false. 

That being said, I hope that Forbes validates their trust and faith. I'm glad that they got "their guy" and didn't move up for him. 

I have to say, I can’t be mad at them for taking the guy they loved.

Time will tell, but I’m always all over them for seemingly not trusting their own reads on players — in this case, they were obviously head over heels for Forbes, so hopefully they saw something that a lot of the talking heads (and potentially other teams) didn’t see quite as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Time will tell, but I’m always all over them for seemingly not trusting their own reads on players — in this case, they were obviously head over heels for Forbes, so hopefully they saw something that a lot of the talking heads (and potentially other teams) didn’t see quite as much.

When they knew they were getting him I never seen JDR smile so much 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

They almost traded up for him as well. I am very glad that did not happen as I would have been inconsolable, not only trading up, but for a defensive back too. I would have preferred a trade down with an offensive lineman or one of the top TEs, but like you and others have said, they stuck to their guns and got their guy. It was enjoyable to watch their progression in the draft process and get more info on Forbes and his life and motivations. He sounds like a very respectful young man and says the right things. Hopefully he performs well for us.

For what its worth, by them not agreeing to trade up with NE for 16 and 97, they still got their guy and Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Thank you N E. ! They ended up swapping #14 for #17 for a 4th rd pick from Pittsburgh . Asking a 3 from us was ridiculas.

Good job by Rivera & co in not taking that bait. I wonder if we had moved up though if we would’ve still taken Forbes or would've taken Jones, the OT from Georgia.

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

They almost traded up for him as well. I am very glad that did not happen as I would have been inconsolable, not only trading up, but for a defensive back too. I would have preferred a trade down with an offensive lineman or one of the top TEs, but like you and others have said, they stuck to their guns and got their guy. It was enjoyable to watch their progression in the draft process and get more info on Forbes and his life and motivations. He sounds like a very respectful young man and says the right things. Hopefully he performs well for us.

For what its worth, by them not agreeing to trade up with NE for 16 and 97, they still got their guy and Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas.

Yep 2 solid picks, and should be two starters. Forbes right away & Stromberg eventually, if not right away as a rookie too.