2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

I honestly wonder if the Packers thresholds for WRs are more about weight than height.  Like Deebo Samuel is the same height as Marvin Mims, he just has 30 lbs on the rookie.

The Packers absolutely could have had Hyatt when they picked Reed, and while the Volunteer had 1 1/4 inches on the Spartan, Jayden had like 9 lbs on Jalin.   After all we have good empirical evidence that for running backs, density is more important than size.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 9:24 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Solid work with some all 22 cut ups of Reed. I’ve watched a bit and can say he is feisty. I will watch some more when offseason boredom is strong. 

thanks @JAF-N72EX

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I honestly wonder if the Packers thresholds for WRs are more about weight than height.  Like Deebo Samuel is the same height as Marvin Mims, he just has 30 lbs on the rookie.

The Packers absolutely could have had Hyatt when they picked Reed, and while the Volunteer had 1 1/4 inches on the Spartan, Jayden had like 9 lbs on Jalin.   After all we have good empirical evidence that for running backs, density is more important than size.

They could also have a different thresholds for “slot” guys.

like day 2 and 3… Green Bay gets loose with their thresholds for other elements of a dudes game. Look at Cobb and Amari, in the context of those 2 guys Reed isn’t that surprising.

It’s just they either don’t hit in GB or they go under utilized. So Reed is a bit of a gamble if LaFluer and Love don’t build in a role for him.

Under Rodgers and because of the McCarthy days… everything was outside. GB never really attacked the middle, at least as a focus of the offenses. Hopefully with Musgrave, Reed and Kraft this is a new philosophy.

But it was telling they kept being up toughness and attitude with Reed. Being a dawg in that room. He seems like the Jaire of the WR room now.

maybe that’s something they are missing… given that Watson, Doubs and toure seem pretty quiet.

Also saw a scout/draft dude refer to Reed as Steve Smith. That if he hits in a big way… Reed could be Steve Smith 2.0

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If you listen to Gutes presser from yesterday, he basically tells people why the annual Hyatt types of the draft will not be drafted as long as MLF is running the offense in GB. I doubt it will stop endless debate again with next year's 170 some pound WR's though.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

They could also have a different thresholds for “slot” guys.

like day 2 and 3… Green Bay gets loose with their thresholds for other elements of a dudes game. Look at Cobb and Amari, in the context of those 2 guys Reed isn’t that surprising.

It’s just they either don’t hit in GB or they go under utilized. So Reed is a bit of a gamble if LaFluer and Love don’t build in a role for him.

Under Rodgers and because of the McCarthy days… everything was outside. GB never really attacked the middle, at least as a focus of the offenses. Hopefully with Musgrave, Reed and Kraft this is a new philosophy.

But it was telling they kept being up toughness and attitude with Reed. Being a dawg in that room. He seems like the Jaire of the WR room now.

maybe that’s something they are missing… given that Watson, Doubs and toure seem pretty quiet.

Also saw a scout/draft dude refer to Reed as Steve Smith. That if he hits in a big way… Reed could be Steve Smith 2.0

Well, some DB's better get ready to 'go ice us son!'

4 hours ago, R T said:

If you listen to Gutes presser from yesterday, he basically tells people why the annual Hyatt types of the draft will not be drafted as long as MLF is running the offense in GB. I doubt it will stop endless debate again with next year's 170 some pound WR's though.    

If only the draft pundits that mock receivers to the Packers each year that are between 170 and 180lb (and usually in round one) would take note. Reed should be the slot guy, which are often lighter, but he's still listed at 187.

48 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Might be my favorite Packer after watching that. 

I don’t know the interview for Kraft and saying sorry for saying sir… because he had some drinks before hearing his name.

all timer right there

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I swear I never saw Jayden Reed mentioned once in our draft thread. Or I missed it.

He was smaller than the typical GB WR, but college production is also a quality that matters.  I liked him as a 70 -100 range pick, but thought JSN could be the pick at 13/15 so the player would be a bit redundant.  Once JSN was gone, Reed became an option and I wouldn't be surprised if Gutekunst had a similar thought.  Reed in the mid to late 2nd vs JSN at 13/15.

40 speed score rank burst rank agility Col Dom % Rank Col YPC rank Col Tgt share rank Breakout age rank

2018 J'Mon Moore 4.6 95 124.6 10.6 27.6 47 16.5 74 - - 20.3 54
2018 Marquez Valdes Scantling 4.37 117.6 113.9 11.02 26.7 44 16.6 75 6.6 5 22.9 4
2018 EQ St Brown 4.48 112.1 - - 25.2 39 16.1 69 21.9 61 19.9 65
2021 Amari Rodgers 4.57 91.9 116.6 11.38 23.5 33 13.2 31 20.8 56 21 37
2022 Christian Watson 4.36 119.9 133.5   44 90 18.6 89 - - 20.3 53
2022 Romeo Doubs 4.55 96.5 - - 32.9 62 15.6 62 24.6 72 19.4 80
2023 Jayden Reed 4.45 94.7 117.5 - 35.7 73 12.9 27 25 75 18.4 98
2023 Dontayvion Wicks 4.62 93.1 131.3 - 28.7 50 17.7 85 22 61 20.2 56
2023 Grant DuBose 4.57 93.4 122 11.21 28.8 51 12.5 22 26.5 79 20.2 57
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

In the current world, the capacity to block is essential.  Not sure what they thought for Amari, great pad level, I guess; but I don't recall him playing from scrimmage enough to have any sense for whether his blocking was functional.  Like you say, density and weight might be much more relevant for blocking than length.  And a longer, skinnier guy might not be very capable as a blocker.  (Watson is a long slender guy, but he was scouted as being pretty active as a blocker, as of course must be true for any NDSU guy.). 

Reports on Reed suggest that he's a feisty, good, willing blocker.  I think it's often hard to get good scouting reports on WR blocking from media sources.  But I'm sure that's part of the Packers equation.  Last year Doubs was an interesting guy; I recall one or more media reports that weren't necessarily positive about his blocking.  But when Sullivan discussed his selection and was asked about his blocking, he said the Packers had scouted it as decent, he'd need to work at it but they thought he had the capacity, the willingness, and the physique to block just fine.  

That kind of struck me, because even though I understand blocking is a high priority for the Packers, that still doesn't necessarily help me to anticipate who will or won't get dinged on that account in their valuation.  

Well I guess as RT notes, I do know that slender 170-pounders will get dinged.