Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

23 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He's 25, but prior to his injury, he was a mediocre game manager.  The injury is definitely scary.  I just think if he came cheap, i'd give him a one year deal, but only if we draft a guy early.

I think its a little early to say "we know what he is" on a QB who was 23 when he was injured but I agree I wouldn't offer him much money and it would not deter me from drafting a QB early.

2 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think its a little early to say "we know what he is" on a QB who was 23 when he was injured but I agree I wouldn't offer him much money and it would not deter me from drafting a QB early.

That's fair, but in his first two years, he didn't show much while have the best RB in the game.  

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

That's fair, but in his first two years, he didn't show much while have the best RB in the game.  

He only had him in the year before he got hurt, AP was suspended in 2014. He didn't really need to be more than a game manager in 2015 because they had AP they lost in the first round of the playoffs to Seattle 9-10. (Seattle had the #1 D that year)

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

He only had him in the year before he got hurt, AP was suspended in 2014. He didn't really need to be more than a game manager in 2015 because they had AP they lost in the first round of the playoffs to Seattle 9-10. (Seattle had the #1 D that year)

That's fair.  Either way, we both agree that we need more.

Starting to get the sense that the Redskins will transition tag Kirk. Kirk sounds more willing to return to the Redskins than he was before, but has made it clear he isn’t committing to them either. I think the best solution for both sides will be transition tag, let Cousins fish for a new contract, and if the Redskins match he likely finishes his career with them. Of all the teams in FA, the Browns and us have the cap space flexibility to offer a contract that Washington would not be able to match…  

For this reason, I still think Kirk will be a New York Jet. 

16 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Starting to get the sense that the Redskins will transition tag Kirk. Kirk sounds more willing to return to the Redskins than he was before, but has made it clear he isn’t committing to them either. I think the best solution for both sides will be transition tag, let Cousins fish for a new contract, and if the Redskins match he likely finishes his career with them. Of all the teams in FA, the Browns and us have the cap space flexibility to offer a contract that Washington would not be able to match…  

For this reason, I still think Kirk will be a New York Jet. 

We just have to front load year 1 to make it where Washington can’t match. I believe a 1st year between 35-40mill will price them out.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We just have to front load year 1 to make it where Washington can’t match. I believe a 1st year between 35-40mill will price them out.

Agree.  It works out well too for us because we'll have more money to re-sign young guys when he's on the backend of the contract.

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Correct. Also, we will need to meet the leagues' minimum "cash spent" threshold this offseason after dishing out bottom-five guaranteed money in 2017. When you look at the FA market, there are not many players I can see Maccagnan giving out big guarantees other than Cousins. Best solution at QB is still signing Cousins to a front-loaded deal with lower cap hits after year one, allowing us to grab our QB without mortgaging the long-term financial future. Whether he'll want to sign here is a different question, but I think he will. Our historic reputation may not be great, but when you consider the things I discussed on the initial post (which he sure will), it changes things. 

The only thing that can be a potential hiccup here is that Josh McCown's agent (Mike McCartney) shares the same agent as Kirk Cousins. It's not a primary factor, but does slightly complicates things. From the positive point-of-view, Josh isn't the type of guy who will bash our organization even if he isn't back - he'll have a lot of positives to share about our organization for giving him the shot no one else would. Because we stuck by Josh, he was able to earn $1.65 million in bonus money, which surely made him and his agent happy. 

This is the best article that depicts why the Jets need to be heavy spenders in 2018: https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/11/16/16664906/ny-jets-the-cheapest-team-in-the-nfl

The Lions and Raiders got out of this category by signing their QBs to big deals with upfront guarantees. If you're the Jets, the absolute best way avoid the Cap Floor in 2019 is by signing Cousins to a contract that pays him huge guarantees in 2018-2019, with little in 2020. Essentially, it becomes a 3 year deal, and like the Wilkerson deal allows the Jets to get out of the contract if Cousins isn't who they thought he'd be OR if they find a cheaper long-term option in the form of a draft pick. Alternatively, the Redskins have already spent what they needed to spend and have little flexibility to make room to sign Cousins if he does get a front-loaded deal. It's why I have a hard time believing they'll franchise tag him and the only way he returns to Washington is if Cousins truly wants to be there... 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, GangGreen420 said:

Can we win a Super Bowl with Cousins?

The Redskins struggle to produce winning seasons with him at the helm, so I’m inclined to think not.

all stats 

The number and stats Cousins, put up are fantastic when you look at the roster he had to work with. And Cousins did not struggle at all you can blame the other 52 players on the roster not Cousins.  

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

This is the best article that depicts why the Jets need to be heavy spenders in 2018: https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/11/16/16664906/ny-jets-the-cheapest-team-in-the-nfl

The Lions and Raiders got out of this category by signing their QBs to big deals with upfront guarantees. If you're the Jets, the absolute best way avoid the Cap Floor in 2019 is by signing Cousins to a contract that pays him huge guarantees in 2018-2019, with little in 2020. Essentially, it becomes a 3 year deal, and like the Wilkerson deal allows the Jets to get out of the contract if Cousins isn't who they thought he'd be OR if they find a cheaper long-term option in the form of a draft pick. Alternatively, the Redskins have already spent what they needed to spend and have little flexibility to make room to sign Cousins if he does get a front-loaded deal. It's why I have a hard time believing they'll franchise tag him and the only way he returns to Washington is if Cousins truly wants to be there... 

We had a similar problem in the 2013-2016 period. That could be the reason Mac spent so much in 2015. According to the attached we had to spend 124m in new money from 2015-2016. I think if Woody can get away with it, he would just spend enough to reach the 89% floor.  Basically he’s a cheapskate and really should sell the team?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-minimum-spending-floor-could-jump-start-nfl-free-agency-this-offseason-20150305-story.html

16 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The number and stats Cousins, put up are fantastic when you look at the roster he had to work with. And Cousins did not struggle at all you can blame the other 52 players on the roster not Cousins.  

I’ve since warmed up a little to the idea of Cousins. I don’t love him and think he’s a guy that needs help to win a Super Bowl. I personally believe we wouldn’t have done much more with him on this team this year (similar to the Redskins) but I would be on board with it as long as the contract is structured to not mortgage the future.

Id prefer to draft Rosen or Darnold if we can land one at 3 with a trade with the Colts. I’m also warming up to Mayfield at 6. But I want nothing to do with Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.

Id probably rank them 

Darnold/Rosen (keep flipping between them every time I watch film)

Cousins

Mayfield

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

We had a similar problem in the 2013-2016 period. That could be the reason Mac spent so much in 2015. According to the attached we had to spend 124m in new money from 2015-2016. I think if Woody can get away with it, he would just spend enough to reach the 89% floor.  Basically he’s a cheapskate and really should sell the team?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-minimum-spending-floor-could-jump-start-nfl-free-agency-this-offseason-20150305-story.html

It's precisely the reason. It's not even a matter of Woody being cheap; Maccagnan believes in building through the draft. When you're able to do that and create "pipelines" at key positions, you can afford to let some good free agents walk if you have a lot of money tied up at certain positions (for instance, QB). 

For a scout guy, Macc has a good feel for how he wants the cap to work and Jacquline does a great job of executing it. I firmly believe we never were going to keep Wilkerson more than 3 years, and if all went to hell we incorporated the "out" for year 2. The same was for Revis. We had to spend certain amounts of guaranteed money, and Maccagnan wanted to spend it on contracts he could get out of rather than ones that sacrifice the long term plan. 

26 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's precisely the reason. It's not even a matter of Woody being cheap; Maccagnan believes in building through the draft. When you're able to do that and create "pipelines" at key positions, you can afford to let some good free agents walk if you have a lot of money tied up at certain positions (for instance, QB). 

For a scout guy, Macc has a good feel for how he wants the cap to work and Jacquline does a great job of executing it. I firmly believe we never were going to keep Wilkerson more than 3 years, and if all went to hell we incorporated the "out" for year 2. The same was for Revis. We had to spend certain amounts of guaranteed money, and Maccagnan wanted to spend it on contracts he could get out of rather than ones that sacrifice the long term plan. 

Do you think since we have to spend so much this off season that thats direction he goes again? Signing vets and making it where we can get out after 2yrs? Bc I hate that approach. This years approach needs to be more on getting good young pieces even if it means overspending bc quite frankly we can and that’s what we will need to do to entice star players, bc we aren’t the most desirable franchise.

Archived