Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

If we were drafting 1st I wouldn’t be wanting Cousins as bad. Bc we’d have complete control over a potential “young” franchise QB instead of a 30yr old good QB. We don’t have that luxury at 6, they do at 1. Therefor the want/need for Cousins is significantly less.

Completely agree, just pointing out they are in a good situation where if they wanted Cousins they could make a great pitch to him that's all.

Some on here were saying they are CLE why would he go there and I was just pointing out the many reasons they aren't as laughable as they seem.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Completely agree, just pointing out they are in a good situation where if they wanted Cousins they could make a great pitch to him that's all.

Some on here were saying they are CLE why would he go there and I was just pointing out the many reasons they aren't as laughable as they seem.

I see that point. It’s still Cleveland though ? 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I see that point. It’s still Cleveland though ? 

Watch out for them if Darnold is the real deal.  As crazy as it sounds if Darnold or whoever is a good QB they could be on top of the division maybe as early as 2019.  But yeah they're CLE so they'll find a way to screw it up.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Watch out for them if Darnold is the real deal.  As crazy as it sounds if Darnold or whoever is a good QB they could be on top of the division maybe as early as 2019.  But yeah they're CLE so they'll find a way to screw it up.

They need to draft correctly. Which obviously can happen (look at Jacksonville). It’s still always going to be hard for them to pull in FA, so that’s the only way they can have a playoff caliber team really. Definitely possible though.

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Money isn't everything my friend

You're right. So make the case for signing with us then? I mean, we shouldn't be homers about this. The market is demanding, the roster is young and largely unproven, as are both the GM and head coach, the Giants dominate the headlines, etc.

There is a 0% chance Kirk Cousins would choose to play for the Jets unless he becomes instantly the highest-paid player in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You're arguing their case when ours is even better. Brady and Bill don’t have much time left and after that there’s not a good team we have to look out for. After just this offseason, we should bypass Miami and Buffalo in talent (should). And we have a ton of cap space to throw at Cousins too. Also the Browns will want to get there own. If we had the #1 pick, I don’t think we’d target Cousins bc we’d scout the heck out of these QBs and find the guy we loved. When you’re drafting 1, you’re in the drivers seat for a young potentially franchise QB. At 6 we don’t have that leverage.

What does it matter whether we pick sixth or first? If there are franchise QB's in the draft, there are. If there are not, there are not. Drafting a guy first overall, and then crossing our fingers and hoping that he turns out to be as good as he is expected to be is not exactly a recipe for success.

Draft position does not determine whether or not a QB is actually a franchise quarterback. The player himself, the team he goes to and their situation, plus coaching, will determine that. Plus the luck factor.

By most accounts, this year's QB crop is deep but with more questions than answers in terms of finding the next Watson or Wentz. 

That all said, I'd rather pick sixth. I don't believe any of the guys who will go 1-2 will be worth the hype that will instantly be cast upon them. I firmly believe Jackson and Mayfield are the top two QB's available this year. They won't get picked there because of the stigmas that NFL organizations place on the quarterback position (i.e. size, mobility, race et al). But for me, I think we are positioned perfectly this year to land our next QB for a decade+.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

What does it matter whether we pick sixth or first? If there are franchise QB's in the draft, there are. If there are not, there are not. Drafting a guy first overall, and then crossing our fingers and hoping that he turns out to be as good as he is expected to be is not exactly a recipe for success.

Draft position does not determine whether or not a QB is actually a franchise quarterback. The player himself, the team he goes to and their situation, plus coaching, will determine that. Plus the luck factor.

By most accounts, this year's QB crop is deep but with more questions than answers in terms of finding the next Watson or Wentz. 

That all said, I'd rather pick sixth. I don't believe any of the guys who will go 1-2 will be worth the hype that will instantly be cast upon them. I firmly believe Jackson and Mayfield are the top two QB's available this year. They won't get picked there because of the stigmas that NFL organizations place on the quarterback position (i.e. size, mobility, race et al). But for me, I think we are positioned perfectly this year to land our next QB for a decade+.

I suggest you watch more of Rosen and Darnold then.

24 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

You're right. So make the case for signing with us then? I mean, we shouldn't be homers about this. The market is demanding, the roster is young and largely unproven, as are both the GM and head coach, the Giants dominate the headlines, etc.

There is a 0% chance Kirk Cousins would choose to play for the Jets unless he becomes instantly the highest-paid player in the NFL.

No, it's a combo.  Is he going to take 10 mil to go play for his favorite team?  Prob not.  But if the money was close, would you rather play for us or Cleveland?  Don't see much of an argument there.  I don't think he'll be a Jet, I honestly don't.  But if he had to choose between us and the browns, unless the browns were throwing 50 mil a year at us, he'd come here.

19 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

So what if we stay at 6 and Rosen, Darnold, Lamar, and Mayfield are all gone by then?  Flawed logic.  You want to pick 1st and you want to pick the guy you like best.

It will come down to if the Redskins want to take one more jab at Cousins on the way out, by them Transition Tagging him they would eliminate teams that are in serious contention for the playoffs. The Jags, Bills, or Broncos can't offer a contract high enough for the Redskins not to match, leaving Cousins options as the Browns or Jets if he wants to leave Washington. Now if you are a spiteful owner that is going to lose his first franchise QB this century would you rather the late 3rd round 2019 comp pick or prevent that jerk from going to a favorable situation? IMO that is the question.

Options would be:

- match a deal from the Jags, Bills, Broncos

- Lose him to one of two teams who have enjoyed top 10 picks on the regular

- he signs nothing and you get one year at $28M which is what he'd get in year 1 of a deal anyway.

If Cousins chooses the Jets or Browns then the ownership can point out how "Kirk made sure he went to a team we couldn't match, he never wanted to be here" IMO given the slinging of mud between both sides it feels like they'd want to do that.

or they just let him walk and hope he comes back.

On 12/01/2018 at 11:31 AM, Bobby816 said:

I suggest you watch more of Rosen and Darnold then.

Well, I will pay close attention to the combine, but there are no more games to be played. Neither is going to play in any of the postseason all-star games, right?

On 12/01/2018 at 11:48 AM, barnaby8787 said:

No, it's a combo.  Is he going to take 10 mil to go play for his favorite team?  Prob not.  But if the money was close, would you rather play for us or Cleveland?  Don't see much of an argument there.  I don't think he'll be a Jet, I honestly don't.  But if he had to choose between us and the browns, unless the browns were throwing 50 mil a year at us, he'd come here.

We don't know that. Maybe Cousins likes John Dorsey. Maybe he likes Hue Jackson. Maybe he sees a better fit there, for whatever reason. Maybe he does not WANT the New York spotlight. 

All I am suggesting is that there is not a lot of difference between the Jets and Browns, in terms of appeal for free agents. The gap is not nearly as wide as you make it sound. Denver and Cleveland, yeah there is a major gap. But NYJ and Cle?  

On 12/01/2018 at 11:49 AM, barnaby8787 said:

So what if we stay at 6 and Rosen, Darnold, Lamar, and Mayfield are all gone by then?  Flawed logic.  You want to pick 1st and you want to pick the guy you like best.

OK, so let's play it out. Four QB's go in the top five, ok? That would mean that all of Cleveland, NYG, Indy and Denver take a QB, or Cleveland takes two! OR, some other team makes a lopsided (not for them) trade to move ahead of us. Then, let's go further. Where did Cousins sign? Obviously not with any of the teams that grabbed a QB before us. Where was Alex Smith traded to? Where did the 3 Minnesota QB's land? 

The main point here is that there is quite possibly more QB's available this year than there are starting jobs available. So, we're in good shape.

The second point I would like to make is that I feel a LOT more comfortable drafting a potential franchise QB at No. 6 overall, and pay him according to his draft position, than I would be drafting a potential QB first overall, with everything that comes with being a QB drafted first overall. The bust potential would be HUGE.

Think of it like this: Both Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams fell to us, and both have been good and will be good for us for a long time, but I think both would be viewed a lot differently had they been our first pick, first overall, in either draft.

With our history, drafting a QB first overall could have been disastrous. I am more comfortable under the radar right now, at least until we turn the corner and become good again.

9 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Well, I will pay close attention to the combine, but there are no more games to be played. Neither is going to play in any of the postseason all-star games, right?

We don't know that. Maybe Cousins likes John Dorsey. Maybe he likes Hue Jackson. Maybe he sees a better fit there, for whatever reason. Maybe he does not WANT the New York spotlight. 

All I am suggesting is that there is not a lot of difference between the Jets and Browns, in terms of appeal for free agents. The gap is not nearly as wide as you make it sound. Denver and Cleveland, yeah there is a major gap. But NYJ and Cle?  

OK, so let's play it out. Four QB's go in the top five, ok? That would mean that all of Cleveland, NYG, Indy and Denver take a QB, or Cleveland takes two! OR, some other team makes a lopsided (not for them) trade to move ahead of us. Then, let's go further. Where did Cousins sign? Obviously not with any of the teams that grabbed a QB before us. Where was Alex Smith traded to? Where did the 3 Minnesota QB's land? 

The main point here is that there is quite possibly more QB's available this year than there are starting jobs available. So, we're in good shape.

The second point I would like to make is that I feel a LOT more comfortable drafting a potential franchise QB at No. 6 overall, and pay him according to his draft position, than I would be drafting a potential QB first overall, with everything that comes with being a QB drafted first overall. The bust potential would be HUGE.

Think of it like this: Both Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams fell to us, and both have been good and will be good for us for a long time, but I think both would be viewed a lot differently had they been our first pick, first overall, in either draft.

With our history, drafting a QB first overall could have been disastrous. I am more comfortable under the radar right now, at least until we turn the corner and become good again.

Look at this too. If we’re drafting a QB at 6, they’re graded as more than likely the 3rd best QB in just this class (when this draft class isn’t considered anything great to start with). The potential to draft a for sure franchise QB is downgraded drafting at 6. You can more than likely kiss Rosen and Darnold away unless we trade up. It will more than likely be Allen or Mayfield we are looking at. And I have big time questions with both of them. Ideally we can just land Cousins and not have to worry about any of this.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Look at this too. If we’re drafting a QB at 6, they’re graded as more than likely the 3rd best QB in just this class (when this draft class isn’t considered anything great to start with). The potential to draft a for sure franchise QB is downgraded drafting at 6. You can more than likely kiss Rosen and Darnold away unless we trade up. It will more than likely be Allen or Mayfield we are looking at. And I have big time questions with both of them. Ideally we can just land Cousins and not have to worry about any of this.

Well, where you and I differ is on just how much faith you have in Kirk Cousins. I see a very talented, yet very average QB who makes critical mistakes at key moments. 

If we were to sign Cousins, I would be just as worried as I would be if we drafted Baker Mayfield at six overall. Perhaps not as worried as if we traded up for Sam Darnold (which I think would be the worst move we could make).

I can’t see us not doing anything at QB in FA. Otherwise our cards will completely be on the table leading up to the draft. Someone will be brought in. That could just be a resign of McCown. But we won’t go into the draft with just Petty and Hack as our QBs.

Archived