Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

They're always in cap trouble and always find ways to sign guys.  They'll re-structure some people, etc. and find a way.

Eventually it catches up to you, see the the recent Jets history.  We did it for years and one day, boom guys started leaving and we couldn't help it.  They have other guys like Taco and Gregory and Crawford etc to play.  I wouldn't mind Irving then as a Wilk replacement if they let him hit URFA.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Eventually it catches up to you, see the the recent Jets history.  We did it for years and one day, boom guys started leaving and we couldn't help it.  They have other guys like Taco and Gregory and Crawford etc to play.  I wouldn't mind Irving then as a Wilk replacement if they let him hit URFA.

They don’t seem to mind it though. They do it every offseason. That’s why Romo was so overpaid his last few years bc he restructured so much. But Jerry Jones doesn’t mind doing that. I absolutely see them just trading Dez for like a 5th Rounder to get cap space for the draft, Lawrence, Irving and others. I then expect them to target WR in the 1st couple Rounds.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Gregory is a bust and might never play again, Crawford is under contract for 2 more years at a reasonable rate, Taco won't need to be re-signed for a few years and at that point, Crawford will be in his 30's.  They'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

They don’t seem to mind it though. They do it every offseason. That’s why Romo was so overpaid his last few years bc he restructured so much. But Jerry Jones doesn’t mind doing that. I absolutely see them just trading Dez for like a 5th Rounder to get cap space for the draft, Lawrence, Irving and others. I then expect them to target WR in the 1st couple Rounds.

We didn't mind it either but there is a cap and eventually when you have so much dead money and guys like Zeke and Dak to pay then you have to make tough calls sometimes.  Fans here thought we could just keep restructuring too and we saw how that went. 

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We didn't mind it either but there is a cap and eventually when you have so much dead money and guys like Zeke and Dak to pay then you have to make tough calls sometimes.  Fans here thought we could just keep restructuring too and we saw how that went. 

Difference is Jerry Jones will do whatever it takes to try and win. Rebuild isn’t in his vocabulary

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s hard to tell who will and won’t get franchise tagged, but....

Ansah, Lawrence, Bell, AR15, Landry, Jensen, Norwell, Trumaine Johnson, Butler, Breeland, Gaines, Eifert, Sheldon, Bridgewater, Filo, Murphy, just to name a few. They’re all 27 or younger.

Ansah, Johnson, Butler, and Eifert will all be 28-29 entering the 2018 season.

Breeland, Gaines, Filo, and Murphy are guys that should be targeted in FA, but not ones you break the bank on. Not sure Landry is worth our time since we have 3 slot receiver types on our roster and he will be asking for $14 million-plus per year.  Norwell is a guy I'd love to see in a Jets jersey but we need to get rid of Carpenter for that to happen. A Sheldon reunion would be great, but I'm not sure the Jets want to go down that road again. 

If we're signing guys to that we're committing to LONG TERM (as opposed to the 2 years and dump, which you stated you are opposed to) it's going to be someone 26 or younger, similar to when Macc targeted Olivier Vernon (was 25) and Kelechi Osemele (was 26). The problem is there is not many "building block" players that fit that criteria outside of Lawrence, who is most likely heading back to Dallas one way or another. 

Look for Kyle Fuller to be a target. If we are going to go after a receiver Allen Robinson would be a huge get. Sammy Watkins makes sense too. Ryan Jensen (even though 27) and Weston Richburg are obvious. Jerick McKinnon is someone to keep an eye on as well. 

A would just love if we started the offseason and just made massive offers to Richberg and Norwell and then cut Carpenter.  Our O-line would be set.  I'd have no issue making both the highest paid OG and highest paid C.  Make this OL formidable and get an explosive RB to run behind it.  

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Cousins is safer yes but again you have to offer him a massive deal to come here, like highest deal ever.  Anything like the Stafford deal will likely be matched by WAS after he is transition tagged.  I don't people realize how much it's going to take to land him.

The Cousins love on this board is crazy. If he will come here for a decent price then yes it’s a solid move. But why everyone here is salivating at making a QB with one playoff loss on his belt the highest paid player in league history is beyond me. I also don’t think this team is as close as most on here do though. Giving him whatever he wants dollars wise is not a good idea. He’s not even on the same level as Russel Wilson IMO.

Luckily for us it doesn’t seem to fit Macs philosophy to go that route. I get we have to meet a cap floor. But we don’t need to pay Cousins more than he’s probably worth to do it.

plus I don’t want a guy to come here simply because we can pay him the most. The Jets are a hard sell like it or not. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

The Cousins love on this board is crazy. If he will come here for a decent price then yes it’s a solid move. But why everyone here is salivating at making a QB with one playoff loss on his belt the highest paid player in league history is beyond me. I also don’t think this team is as close as most on here do though. Giving him whatever he wants dollars wise is not a good idea. He’s not even on the same level as Russel Wilson IMO.

Luckily for us it doesn’t seem to fit Macs philosophy to go that route. I get we have to meet a cap floor. But we don’t need to pay Cousins more than he’s probably worth to do it.

plus I don’t want a guy to come here simply because we can pay him the most. The Jets are a hard sell like it or not. 

I have no idea what Mac"s,  philosophy is after being GM for three years. But we will know for sure after this off season. We are beating this Cousins thing to death. What are the real odds of him becoming a Jet. We should concentrate on the young QB's in the draft our odds of getting one of them are better than getting Cousins. Would I like Cousins on the Jets roster absolutely, but I would rather have our own young QB whoever that might be. And all these back room accountants on the board always talking about money that different players are getting leave it alone. The Jets are paying top people to figure the money things out, let just worry about the talent we are interesting in drafting or picking up in the FA market.

MY rant is over.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Difference is Jerry Jones will do whatever it takes to try and win. Rebuild isn’t in his vocabulary

Somewhere between Jerry Jones' approach and Woody Johnson's approach is the right way to be a sports owner.

:)

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

For the "Kirk can't win" crowd

Talk about setting yourself up for failure if the comparisons are three legends. I think the rhetoric needs to be toned down SEVERAL notches with Cousins.

32 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Somewhere between Jerry Jones' approach and Woody Johnson's approach is the right way to be a sports owner.

:)

Talk about setting yourself up for failure if the comparisons are three legends. I think the rhetoric needs to be toned down SEVERAL notches with Cousins.

Exactly and that’s why we should get Cousins. Therefor we keep the 6th (that would otherwise be used on a QB) and at talent that way.

I’ll leave it at this. If Cousins has genuine interest to play here and isn’t trying to just maximize his dollars and we can keep it team friendly in the future I’d bring him in. But if the scenario is “I’ll play for the Jets if they offer the most money” then hard pass. We have a bottom of the league ranked defense, questionable offensive line and skill position players, a defensive head coach that’s on a hot seat, and the team is in one of its worst stretches in history as far as winning. On top of that, a media market that will RIP HIM TO SHREDS if he doesn’t take this team farther than he took the Skins. 

Its a hard, hard sell other than the money IMO. I honestly think “the young guys are playing hard” isn’t going to get the job done.

My two cents on the Cousins situation.  I think there are 5 options for the guy; us, Washington, Denver, Minny, and Jax.  Denver doesn't make sense to me personally; they're not a QB away from a ring and they're cash strapped for a few years.  I think Elway goes after a guy like Sam Bradford.  Minny makes sense as he could be the guy to get them over the hump, but given Keenum's fit in the offense, I don't see how they don't bring him back.  Washington and us are in similar positions; but we have a ton of cap and Washington doesn't.  Jax is the team I personally feel makes the most sense if they'll move on from Bortles after publicly committing to him.  They could be a legit QB away from an SB appearance, he has a great D, Fournette, etc.  Plus, his wife is from Atlanta which is a few hour drive away.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

My two cents on the Cousins situation.  I think there are 5 options for the guy; us, Washington, Denver, Minny, and Jax.  Denver doesn't make sense to me personally; they're not a QB away from a ring and they're cash strapped for a few years.  I think Elway goes after a guy like Sam Bradford.  Minny makes sense as he could be the guy to get them over the hump, but given Keenum's fit in the offense, I don't see how they don't bring him back.  Washington and us are in similar positions; but we have a ton of cap and Washington doesn't.  Jax is the team I personally feel makes the most sense if they'll move on from Bortles after publicly committing to him.  They could be a legit QB away from an SB appearance, he has a great D, Fournette, etc.  Plus, his wife is from Atlanta which is a few hour drive away.

It will all matter if Cousins is Transition Tagged or not. Chanced are we will be the only team that can offer him enough money up front to prevent the Skins from matching a deal. I would be pretty surprised if they just let him walk in FA, there is bad blood between the front office and him and if they can prevent Cousins going to a favorable situation I think they might choose to do that. It will look like they are trying to keep him, but will be beat out by a team that offered a deal that the Skins couldn't match. I don't think the Jags, Broncos, or Vikings can offer a deal that the Redskins can't match.

Archived