Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Dallas is going to restructure Dez's contract in some way/shape/form, extend Zach Martin's with a big signing bonus (which should lower his 2018 cap hit substantially), and restructure La'El Collins... next thing you know they'll have enough space to comfortably franchise Lawrence. It's the wrong way of doing business, but it's how Dallas operates every single year. We should expect no difference this one. 

20 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

My two cents on the Cousins situation.  I think there are 5 options for the guy; us, Washington, Denver, Minny, and Jax.  Denver doesn't make sense to me personally; they're not a QB away from a ring and they're cash strapped for a few years.  I think Elway goes after a guy like Sam Bradford.  Minny makes sense as he could be the guy to get them over the hump, but given Keenum's fit in the offense, I don't see how they don't bring him back.  Washington and us are in similar positions; but we have a ton of cap and Washington doesn't.  Jax is the team I personally feel makes the most sense if they'll move on from Bortles after publicly committing to him.  They could be a legit QB away from an SB appearance, he has a great D, Fournette, etc.  Plus, his wife is from Atlanta which is a few hour drive away.

I think there will be other suitors for Cousins, other than the five teams you mentioned. There's Cleveland, who might entice him with the most cash. There is Arizona, who could be starting anew with a new coach and QB, but Arizona is always an attractive destination for free agents (well, at least it is the case in MLB and the NHL, so I have to assume it also applies to the NFL). I think there's a chance Buffalo may also take a run at Cousins, as might the Giants. 

4 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think there will be other suitors for Cousins, other than the five teams you mentioned. There's Cleveland, who might entice him with the most cash. There is Arizona, who could be starting anew with a new coach and QB, but Arizona is always an attractive destination for free agents (well, at least it is the case in MLB and the NHL, so I have to assume it also applies to the NFL). I think there's a chance Buffalo may also take a run at Cousins, as might the Giants. 

Honestly think there's zero chance he ends up in Cleveland.  Giants are in serious cap trouble.  If Shurmur goes to AZ, I think Keenum might go with him, but we'll see.  Also don't think Buffalo will be seriously players for him.

30 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Honestly think there's zero chance he ends up in Cleveland.  Giants are in serious cap trouble.  If Shurmur goes to AZ, I think Keenum might go with him, but we'll see.  Also don't think Buffalo will be seriously players for him.

I won't rule Browns out.  Dorsey is an aggressive GM. Browns have plenty of cap room to cover money Cousins seeks for.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Money isn't everything my friend

As bad as the browns are that division could be crumbling.  Ben is ready to retire, Bell is talking about leaving already, CIN may be looking for a new QB, BAL is pretty average.  With tons of money, tons of draft capital and finally a smart GM they could finally start to move in the right direction.

As awful of a HC Hue is he is for some reason still widely respected as a good OC.  Cousins might like the pitch and if they draft Chubb and Barkley could have a scary pass rush, a stud RB, their OL is solid as well and they have Gordon, Coleman and Njoku to throw to.  If they sure up the secondary with the rest of their cash and multiple mid round picks they could take that division next year if Ben retires.

Not saying it's likely but you can't rule them out.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

As bad as the browns are that division could be crumbling.  Ben is ready to retire, Bell is talking about leaving already, CIN may be looking for a new QB, BAL is pretty average.  With tons of money, tons of draft capital and finally a smart GM they could finally start to move in the right direction.

As awful of a HC Hue is he is for some reason still widely respected as a good OC.  Cousins might like the pitch and if they draft Chubb and Barkley could have a scary pass rush, a stud RB, their OL is solid as well and they have Gordon, Coleman and Njoku to throw to.  If they sure up the secondary with the rest of their cash and multiple mid round picks they could take that division next year if Ben retires.

Not saying it's likely but you can't rule them out.

You're arguing their case when ours is even better. Brady and Bill don’t have much time left and after that there’s not a good team we have to look out for. After just this offseason, we should bypass Miami and Buffalo in talent (should). And we have a ton of cap space to throw at Cousins too. Also the Browns will want to get there own. If we had the #1 pick, I don’t think we’d target Cousins bc we’d scout the heck out of these QBs and find the guy we loved. When you’re drafting 1, you’re in the drivers seat for a young potentially franchise QB. At 6 we don’t have that leverage.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

You're arguing their case when ours is even better. Brady and Bill don’t have much time left and after that there’s not a good team we have to look out for. After just this offseason, we should bypass Miami and Buffalo in talent (should). And we have a ton of cap space to throw at Cousins too. Also the Browns will want to get there own. If we had the #1 pick, I don’t think we’d target Cousins bc we’d scout the heck out of these QBs and find the guy we loved. When you’re drafting 1, you’re in the drivers seat for a young potentially franchise QB. At 6 we don’t have that leverage.

Not saying we're not equally attractive but CLE is also a team that should be considered as a destination.  I was just point out that you can't just say money isn't everything and dismiss the Browns, they have much more going for them then money.  If they draft well and find a QB they could be on the rise.  Not one of these QB's is a sure thing as you've mentioned multiple times.

Darold was meh all season and Rosen has injury issues so who says they don't want another stud pass rusher at 1 or a future LT for Joe Thomas replacement.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not saying we're not equally attractive but CLE is also a team that should be considered as a destination.  I was just point out that you can't just say money isn't everything and dismiss the Browns, they have much more going for them then money.  If they draft well and find a QB they could be on the rise.  Not one of these QB's is a sure thing as you've mentioned multiple times.

Darold was meh all season and Rosen has injury issues so who says they don't want another stud pass rusher at 1 or a future LT for Joe Thomas replacement.

I must be missing your point?!?! Bc we were talking about Cousins and suitors for him and you mentioned Cleveland. And saying they’re an attractive franchise. But how you’re describing them as an attractive franchise is saying they draft a QB at 1. Well than why would they sign Cousins? And that’s my whole point. They’re drafting 1 and will get there guy. I highly doubt they even try and go after Cousins bc of that exact reason. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I must be missing your point?!?! Bc we were talking about Cousins and suitors for him and you mentioned Cleveland. And saying they’re an attractive franchise. But how you’re describing them as an attractive franchise is saying they draft a QB at 1. Well than why would they sign Cousins? And that’s my whole point. They’re drafting 1 and will get there guy. I highly doubt they even try and go after Cousins bc of that exact reason. 

I don't know why you are misunderstanding.  They have probably the most money to spend, they have mountains of draft capital to do what they want, and they have a declining division.  They wouldn't be selecting a QB #1 if they went all in on Cousins they would trade out of #1 with a number of suitors like NYJ, DEN, ARI, etc for another kings ransom and be able to reload their roster better then any other team in the NFL.  They could land Chubb, Barkley, sign Cousins and spend tons more in FA.  I'm just asking why people are dismissing them like they have no shot.

I said it's likely they just take Darnold and build that way maybe with like an Alex Smith stop gap type but if they wanted Cousins and to build the roster around him and ignore the risk at QB then they could.  Saying they have no shot at Cousins makes no sense.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I don't know why you are misunderstanding.  They have probably the most money to spend, they have mountains of draft capital to do what they want, and they have a declining division.  They wouldn't be selecting a QB #1 if they went all in on Cousins they would trade out of #1 with a number of suitors like NYJ, DEN, ARI, etc for another kings ransom and be able to reload their roster better then any other team in the NFL.  They could land Chubb, Barkley, sign Cousins and spend tons more in FA.  I'm just asking why people are dismissing them like they have no shot.

I said it's likely they just take Darnold and build that way maybe with like an Alex Smith stop gap type but if they wanted Cousins and to build the roster around him and ignore the risk at QB then they could.  Saying they have no shot at Cousins makes no sense.

I think bc of there history, they for sure are going QB at 1. When you trade out of your pick back to back years and those QBs become Wentz and Watson you have to learn your lesson. 

Lets say they like Cousins.  If we could trade up to #1 for a QB we would probably offer up #6, next years 1st, our 2nd, and a future 3rd at the very least.  

CLE now has Cousins, #4, #6, multiple future 1sts, multiple 2nds, and boat load of cash.

I mean how is that not an attractive option and one you can't just dismiss as CLE having 0 shot at him?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think bc if there history, they for sure are going QB at 1. When you trade out of your pick back to back years and those QBs become Wentz and Watson you have to learn your lesson. 

Sure but if they had a good QB it's would be ok.  It only stings because they have Kiser and not a top 10-12 ish player at the position.  

This would be the year they stay and this will be the year Darnold flops.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sure but if they had a good QB it's would be ok.  It only stings because they have Kiser and not a top 10-12 ish player at the position.  

This would be the year they stay and this will be the year Darnold flops.

If we were drafting 1st I wouldn’t be wanting Cousins as bad. Bc we’d have complete control over a potential “young” franchise QB instead of a 30yr old good QB. We don’t have that luxury at 6, they do at 1. Therefor the want/need for Cousins is significantly less.

Archived