​🔥​ Pick #135 is in: Aidan O'Connell, QB, Purdue

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I see the point and to some degree there may be truth of beat reporters being positive and putting an overly positive spin on things. As said above, no player is going to come out and say ‘that Alex Leatherwood looks like a third rounder to me, he’s struggling for sure’.

The questions are soft, designed to promote a positive feeling in camp and I think the reporters (as with most fans probably) are just looking to make a kind of feel good story and breed some optimism at this long, particularly dragging time of year.

I think players and coaches would generally be optimistic this time of year too, keen to promote the positives and what’s going well. I struggle to believe there’s anything really nefarious about the reporting, it’s probably (well, definitely) too soft and not actual ‘critical reporting’ but  would think every teams’ reporters do that at this very early stage to try and drum up interest and excitement as that sells more jerseys and that is generally what most players, coaches, fans and the team wants to hear.

It’s only us old, beat down, seen it all before types on FF that want real critical analysis of what’s going on 😁😁

I agree with everything you said.  I don’t think there’s some nefarious group of reporters lol… it’s not some big conspiracy… its probably just that this time of year fans and players are optimistic and actively seeking stories to be optimistic about and that breeds these type of stories.

I was just saying the reporters first come up with the idea of writing the article THEN seek the quotes to back it up.  The ask those leading questions to get the answers they can use in support. 

speaking of optimism… when teams reach on a guy the optimism is low… so reporters write articles about how the player is doing so well already in camp.  I was just saying it seems like every single reach as a article written about how great they’re doing… these are puff pieces you can’t put much weight in them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. Same with coaches. Nobody is gonna come out and say McDaniels is a ****** they can't actually stand. Heck, former players, especially those still in the league, rarely talk bad about prior HCs. 

That's why when they do- as plenty have done about McDaniels- it's notable. It took Urban Meyer ditching his team following a loss and playing Pervy Papa with a girl young enough to be his granddaughter and literal battery against a player for any Jags players to even elude to the obvious. 

I disagree with my superiors nearly constantly. Arguably even more as my agency isn't headed by anyone with even a law degree- not unlike a player stuck under a coach who never played a down at any real level. Like, dude, I 100% know more about anything law related than the head of my agency and it's not even a fair competition. It's a fact, plain and simple. But guess what? End of the day, I've got his back 100% if asked, and if there is trouble brewing, I do damage control. I have no issues privately going ballistic on him for screwing something up, but think I'd ever tell the media/public? No way. Not a chance. To them, everything is copacetic. And even if I wanted him gone (I don't) I wouldn't outright say it. 

Players are going to do the same with coaches and teammates 9/10 times. Anyone who has ever held a job with any stakes understands that. 

Exactly.

On 6/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. Same with coaches. Nobody is gonna come out and say McDaniels is a ****** they can't actually stand. Heck, former players, especially those still in the league, rarely talk bad about prior HCs. 

That's why when they do- as plenty have done about McDaniels- it's notable. It took Urban Meyer ditching his team following a loss and playing Pervy Papa with a girl young enough to be his granddaughter and literal battery against a player for any Jags players to even elude to the obvious. 

I disagree with my superiors nearly constantly. Arguably even more as my agency isn't headed by anyone with even a law degree- not unlike a player stuck under a coach who never played a down at any real level. Like, dude, I 100% know more about anything law related than the head of my agency and it's not even a fair competition. It's a fact, plain and simple. But guess what? End of the day, I've got his back 100% if asked, and if there is trouble brewing, I do damage control. I have no issues privately going ballistic on him for screwing something up, but think I'd ever tell the media/public? No way. Not a chance. To them, everything is copacetic. And even if I wanted him gone (I don't) I wouldn't outright say it. 

Players are going to do the same with coaches and teammates 9/10 times. Anyone who has ever held a job with any stakes understands that. 

This especially seasoned vets like adams 

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I was just saying the reporters first come up with the idea of writing the article THEN seek the quotes to back it up.  The ask those leading questions to get the answers they can use in support. 

speaking of optimism… when teams reach on a guy the optimism is low… so reporters write articles about how the player is doing so well already in camp.  I was just saying it seems like every single reach as a article written about how great they’re doing… these are puff pieces you can’t put much weight in them

Yep, totally agree.

It’s not really ‘journalism’ but just feel good stuff this time of year which is slow so they’ve got to keep the interest up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, totally agree.

It’s not really ‘journalism’ but just feel good stuff this time of year which is slow so they’ve got to keep the interest up.

There's nothing wrong with this sort of reporting.  It's the fans that take these reports and run with them as some sort of proof of something that is usually the problem.

They're fluff pieces, not proof that anything is going to work out.

3 hours ago, true2form said:

There's nothing wrong with this sort of reporting.  It's the fans that take these reports and run with them as some sort of proof of something that is usually the problem.

They're fluff pieces, not proof that anything is going to work out.

There’s nothing wrong with it itself… but it becomes “proof” for fans who take one side of an argument, as you said.

My only other issue is that the reports don’t seem to be organic… a guy like O’Connell or Tucker who were criticized picks or guys who were reached like Leatherwood was, have these articles written about them saying their killing it.  My issue is the reporters seem to be deciding they’re going to write a pro-whatever player piece then create the proof thru BS interview questions.  The way it should be is the player plays well and creates a buzz, then the writers catch wind and look into it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

There’s nothing wrong with it itself… but it becomes “proof” for fans who take one side of an argument, as you said.

My only other issue is that the reports don’t seem to be organic… a guy like O’Connell or Tucker who were criticized picks or guys who were reached like Leatherwood was, have these articles written about them saying their killing it.  My issue is the reporters seem to be deciding they’re going to write a pro-whatever player piece then create the proof thru BS interview questions.  The way it should be is the player plays well and creates a buzz, then the writers catch wind and look into it.

Can you link these articles about AOC and Tucker killing it? I'm not saying you're wrong but the only thing I saw was a tweet saying they had a 25 yard completion together

52 minutes ago, CaribouLou said:

Can you link these articles about AOC and Tucker killing it? I'm not saying you're wrong but the only thing I saw was a tweet saying they had a 25 yard completion together

First, I was giving examples of the type of players who get these puff pieces written about them:

a guy like O’Connell or Tucker who were criticized picks or guys who were reached like Leatherwood was”

But I did see one article about that 25yd reception…

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023/6/12/23755209/raiders-camp-2023-aidan-oconnell-quarterback

Second, I wasn’t discounting anything either of those 2 players as done so far. I was just pointing out there’s a formula beat writers and blog site writers follow every single year:

Event 1: A team is criticized for reaching for a player or the pick is criticized for numerous other reasons

*** articles are written criticizing the alleged reach/etc

*** then articles come out a week or more later pumping the guy up a bit

Event 2: OTAs or Training Camp starts and I’m the player does something nice but far from impressive, like they catch a 25yd pass.  
*** a bare bones article with almost no real info gets written about the player “impressing early on”

*** then the writers start asking teammates alley-oop questions about the player and they give the typical generic response that’s complimentary of the player.  These questions are asked so the writer can go back and write the article he already set out to write, which is about how the controversial pick is proving critics wrong so far.  

Its really not a big deal… I was just being critical of the confirmation bias the writers usually have this time of year.  I’ve seen articles proclaiming Chaz Schilens is showing he can be a WR1 in the league to Leatherwood has a HOF levels skills.  

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

First, I was giving examples of the type of players who get these puff pieces written about them:

a guy like O’Connell or Tucker who were criticized picks or guys who were reached like Leatherwood was”

But I did see one article about that 25yd reception…

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023/6/12/23755209/raiders-camp-2023-aidan-oconnell-quarterback

Second, I wasn’t discounting anything either of those 2 players as done so far. I was just pointing out there’s a formula beat writers and blog site writers follow every single year:

Event 1: A team is criticized for reaching for a player or the pick is criticized for numerous other reasons

*** articles are written criticizing the alleged reach/etc

*** then articles come out a week or more later pumping the guy up a bit

Event 2: OTAs or Training Camp starts and I’m the player does something nice but far from impressive, like they catch a 25yd pass.  
*** a bare bones article with almost no real info gets written about the player “impressing early on”

*** then the writers start asking teammates alley-oop questions about the player and they give the typical generic response that’s complimentary of the player.  These questions are asked so the writer can go back and write the article he already set out to write, which is about how the controversial pick is proving critics wrong so far.  

Its really not a big deal… I was just being critical of the confirmation bias the writers usually have this time of year.  I’ve seen articles proclaiming Chaz Schilens is showing he can be a WR1 in the league to Leatherwood has a HOF levels skills.  

You give way to much thought to all of this. It's a bunch of 20 somethings kids playing a sport. Why do you care so much? I've never seen someone so involved that they care about fluff journal pieces in OTAs. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You give way to much thought to all of this. It's a bunch of 20 somethings kids playing a sport. Why do you care so much? I've never seen someone so involved that they care about fluff journal pieces in OTAs. 

The better question is “Why do you care to comment on 50% of the replies I make with negative, argumentative comments?”.  

clearly you have nothing better to do then prolong a personal vendetta.

While I actually have given you credit for your posts when you make valid points.  

I guess I just like rent free in your mind, as you say.

On 6/18/2023 at 1:39 PM, big_palooka said:

What do we know about #3 Bell. That was a highlight reels for him as much as the QB. 

Big Ten WR of the year that season.  High volume WR for Purdue, even though he wasn't the best talent in the conference.

• Like 1