​πŸ”₯​ Pick #135 is in: Aidan O'Connell, QB, Purdue

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He should be our #2 the start of the season pretty easily. Hoyer and Garbers should not even be on 53 man rosters.Β 

I don’t ever view him as a starter, but you never know. His arm is meh and his mobility would make Andrew Walter proud.

I can’t imagine we pay Hoyer for 2 season and cut him.

Nothing wrong with a back up QB on a rookie deal, spend some time to learn the system see if he develops and if he becomes anything he gets signed elsewhere and we get a comp pick or we trade him for an asset. If not we’re out a late 4th and didn’t have to pay a vet QB to hold a clipboard.Β 

I went backed and watched some O’Connell videos after the draft and While I still don’t love the pick the positives about him are:

1) he’s got great ball placement. Β His throws hit the receivers in stride and right in their hands. Β 

2) he’s got very good timing on his throws.

3) he can work through his read professions rather quickly.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 2:11 PM, BayRaider said:

Popped up on my bleacher report at least a few times over the past couple weeks.Β 

O'Connell does seem like that type of project Payton would go after, doesn't he? Purdue and Brees jokes aside, O'Connell just has that Payton backup QB feel. I can't pinpoint anything specific, but those reports don't particularly strike me as "out there"Β Β 

Disclaimer: Β I’ve been very critical of Hondo Carpenter for his article that broke down the relationship between JMD and Carr and the breakdown of Carr’s benching and ultimate departure. Β 

But I was watching Raiders draft YouTube videos and after a few too many came across this one and didn’t even realize it was Carpenter’s because I was listening and not watching and partially distracted as I listened. Β Honest too goodness, once I realized it was Carpenter I actually liked what he was saying at first and started to question my opinion of him (while still holding true to my criticism of that article). Β 

But then at -36:00 of 49:09 / 13 mins into the video, Carpenter renewed why I thought he is a patsy for JMD / Ziegler and a propagandist and a joke and total Shill.

Please watch the video, but he’s a summary:

1) Aiden O’Connell was ranked #1 if not #2Β pocket passing QB by several NFL teams he spoke to.

2) O’Connell was projected to be a β€œfirst or Second roundΒ draft pick after his β€˜21 season if he left early” (*A). Β 

(*A): AO’C is a 6th year player who turns 25 before the start of his rookie year. Β He’s not a 22yo prospect who came back for year 4. Β 

3) Β O’Connell was the #1 rated QB Prospect for the Raiders system. Β He says β€œhe’s a guy that can come in and be a starter” but before he ends his sentence says but we have don’t need him to be a starter because he have Jimmy G and if he gets hurt Hoyer will come in so O’Connell is QB3.

4) Last year no one would Believe he was would Be a 4th round pick (implying he was expected to be drafted much higher).

5) The Raiders had a 2nd round grade on O’Connell and at least one other team Carpenter spoke to had a 2nd round grade on him.

6) Says β€œdefinite, definite potential to be a starter, it wouldn’t surprise me if Aiden O’Connell becomes a starter in this league.”

7) he makes the claim AO’C has a big arm, blames the change in OL from β€˜21 to β€˜22 for AO’C running for his life and blames the INTs on having new personnel + changes in the program, AO’C dropped to from a 1st to a 4th round pick purely because of β€œcircumstances he didn’t control”

Β 

Why did the Raiders pass on him at #100 for a slot WR, when it’s our deepest position, passed on him again at #104, waited until #135 to trade you after the run of QBs started (after: Haener- #127, Bennett-#128… but before Tune- #139, Thompson-Robinson-#140, Clifford- #149, Hall- #164, McKee-#188, Duggan-#239) if we rated him so highly.

Carpenter takes away ALL, not some but ALL, blame for the drop off in play from β€˜21 To β€˜22 from O’Connell.

The idea that O’Connell was a 1st round pick if he left after his 5th year Senior β€˜21 season is laughable.Β 

In a press conference video, Zeigler mentioned he came across him in in the middle of the season … October I believe that’s what he said… and told JMD he had to check him out because he knew he fit what JMD wants…. But if Zeigler came across him in October how Did he have a 1st round grade on O’Connell for the β€˜22 draft in April?? Timeline doesn’t match up.

I’m not even trying to knock the selection of O’Connell here. Β My take is We got JMD his developmental QB at the absolute end of round 4. Β It is what it is. Β Now it’s JMD’s responsibility to develop him. Β But there’s no need to significantly embellish who O’Connell is as a prospect and fabricate sources to back-up these exaggerated claims.

• Like 2

Love the hate on this pick which is 99.9% because he's not a "dual threat QB" which is all anyone seems to care about these days.Β 

It's a 4th round pick. Most 4th round picks don't pan out as is. Thinking you're getting some difference maker on defenses is not understanding the draft.

Attributes are smart, accurate and quick release. If he can develop into a strong #2 QB for you that can play in a pinch then it's good value in the 4th. If he develops into something more, great. Poor mans Mac Jones.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The idea that O’Connell was a 1st round pick if he left after his 5th year Senior β€˜21 season is laughable.Β 

If he really was a 1st round pick with 5 years in college, he would have declared last year.

26 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If he really was a 1st round pick with 5 years in college, he would have declared last year.

Exactly… I just don’t see why he has to point blank lie to justify O’Connell as A playerΒ and the value of the pick. Β 

• Like 1