​🔥​ Pick #135 is in: Aidan O'Connell, QB, Purdue

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

That’s reassuring. Unless I actually watch a player I’m kind of suspicious of any write up on them! I’ve read too many that blatantly contradict themselves.

I plan to go watch a few random games of O’Connell when I have time.

If you watch some of his tape, his WRs  drop a lot of balls.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Probably my least favorite pick from the draft but some encouraging reports early on about him. I am intrigued at this point 

Can't complain about the pick in any way.  We always talk about drafting QBs periodically like we should with RBs.  So I'm glad we grabbed one on a rookie contract.  Cheap QB depth for 4 years.  Plus he looks like Farva.  So honestly this was probably one of my favorite picks of this draft.  Mainly because he looks like Farva.  If there were other rookie FAs that look like the rest of the cast I would sign them as a part of our 90 man roster so they could put on shows for the team to maintain morale.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

Can't complain about the pick in any way.  We always talk about drafting QBs periodically like we should with RBs.  So I'm glad we grabbed one on a rookie contract.  Cheap QB depth for 4 years.  Plus he looks like Farva.  So honestly this was probably one of my favorite picks of this draft.  Mainly because he looks like Farva.  If there were other rookie FAs that look like the rest of the cast I would sign them as a part of our 90 man roster so they could put on shows for the team to maintain morale.

I agree. Always liked the Ron Wolfe approach of grabbing QBs in every draft. Develop them and either you have your QB or you have a valuable asset in trade. 

The only thing people don't like with O'Connell is he's not mobile. He's a much better QB than a guy like Dorian Thompson Robinson, but guys wanted DTR simply because he can run. Fans are overvaluing mobility and undervaluing things like accuracy, anticipation and ability to play in the pocket now days. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. Always liked the Ron Wolfe approach of grabbing QBs in every draft. Develop them and either you have your QB or you have a valuable asset in trade. 

The only thing people don't like with O'Connell is he's not mobile. He's a much better QB than a guy like Dorian Thompson Robinson, but guys wanted DTR simply because he can run. Fans are overvaluing mobility and undervaluing things like accuracy, anticipation and ability to play in the pocket now days. 

That’s the thing I don’t like about him are the bonehead plays. he can be rolling then throws the ugly ints. His pocket play isn’t very clean either he has guts and will stand and deliver. Reminds me of a mix between carr and jimmy. Arm similar to carr but pocket play similar to jimmy and both make bonehead plays. But he was also a mid rounder so it’s to be expected. I’m just hoping it’s not Walter part 2 who I actually liked at Arizona st iirc

with Brady gone are there any more statue qbs left in the nfl. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That’s the thing I don’t like about him are the bonehead plays. he can be rolling then throws the ugly ints. His pocket play isn’t very clean either he has guts and will stand and deliver. Reminds me of a mix between carr and jimmy. Arm similar to carr but pocket play similar to jimmy and both make bonehead plays. But he was also a mid rounder so it’s to be expected. I’m just hoping it’s not Walter part 2 who I actually liked at Arizona st iirc

with Brady gone are there any more statue qbs left in the nfl. 

Goff, Cousins, Brissett, Tua and Carr can be statues QBs. Probably throw in Stafford as well

On 6/8/2023 at 2:50 PM, agarcia34 said:

Probably my least favorite pick from the draft but some encouraging reports early on about him. I am intrigued at this point 

You ever notice that any time there’s a reach or a unpopular pick they always are the ones to have good reports early on?  Local beat reporters always try to prop up questionable Front Office moves.  That could be because controversial topics get clicks or it could be writers just trying to get on the teams good side early in the season.  Even Leatherwood had articles with players quoting his play early on.

these are amongst the worst of the worst when it Comes to reporting to me.  There’s a clear formula:

ask starters of the same position and the position of defense opposite of the player “how are they doing?” Or “what does Player X bring to the team” and of course your going to get some nice words about player X.  

here it is with this Alex Leatherwood article rookie season:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-first-round-pick-making-all-the-right-moves-in-camp-2410985/amp/

players are never going to be honest and say player X sucked and showed why he was a reach.  They always are super complimentary of their teammates  And give a quote that the article can use as evidence of player X “shining”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

You ever notice that any time there’s a reach or a unpopular pick they always are the ones to have good reports early on?  Local beat reporters always try to prop up questionable Front Office moves.  That could be because controversial topics get clicks or it could be writers just trying to get on the teams good side early in the season.  Even Leatherwood had articles with players quoting his play early on.

these are amongst the worst of the worst when it Comes to reporting to me.  There’s a clear formula:

ask starters of the same position and the position of defense opposite of the player “how are they doing?” Or “what does Player X bring to the team” and of course your going to get some nice words about player X.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-first-round-pick-making-all-the-right-moves-in-camp-2410985/amp/

players are never going to be honest and say player X sucked and showed why he was a reach.  They always are super complimentary of their teammates  And give a quote that the article can use as evidence of player X “shining”.

Teammates, being teammates....what a novel concept. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 6:50 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Watching Purdue Ohio st 2021

munford at lg is nice 

His year at G was actually his worst year.  But he was still pretty good IMO.  I hope he gets a real shot to start, he’s got limitations but is also very talented

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Teammates, being teammates....what a novel concept. 

Captain Obvious 🙄🙄🙄 unfortunately you couldn’t comprehend the “Novel concept”

Yeah, teammates will always say nice things about each other, especially during TC.  that’s obvious.

the point was these garbage reporters know this and ask players softball questions like “tell us about Alex Leatherwood”’ and get the typical answers.  They then write articles about how great Alex Leatherwood is playing in TC to hype him up.

The reporters aren’t asking how is Leatherwood doing in order to find out how he’s playing…. Their asking questions to get the quotes they need for the articles they already want to write.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:53 AM, big_palooka said:

Patriots took Wolfe’s idea but did it every few years and had very good results as well.  It’s a winning formula.

Id much rather have a QB that can throw well but isn’t a runner then a running QB that can’t throw.  You can build a line up to protect a guy like O’Connell but unless you have a generational talent like Vick or Lamar Jackson (who can both throw albeit aren’t elite) that running QB doesn’t have a chance… and even then running QBs don’t last long nor typical win titles or divisions.  Eventually they have to throw the ball to win. The DTR type either flop out of the NFL or develop there passing and become backups/3rd stringers.

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Captain Obvious 🙄🙄🙄 unfortunately you couldn’t comprehend the “Novel concept”

Yeah, teammates will always say nice things about each other, especially during TC.  that’s obvious.

the point was these garbage reporters know this and ask players softball questions like “tell us about Alex Leatherwood”’ and get the typical answers.  They then write articles about how great Alex Leatherwood is playing in TC to hype him up.

The reporters aren’t asking how is Leatherwood doing in order to find out how he’s playing…. Their asking questions to get the quotes they need for the articles they already want to write.

Or....maybe, just maybe the player is doing just fine in a practice setting and there is nothing more to report and the games are a different animal. 

Not every city has the NY Media if that is what you are wanting. 

Edited by big_palooka

On 6/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Yup. Same with coaches. Nobody is gonna come out and say McDaniels is a ****** they can't actually stand. Heck, former players, especially those still in the league, rarely talk bad about prior HCs. 

That's why when they do- as plenty have done about McDaniels- it's notable. It took Urban Meyer ditching his team following a loss and playing Pervy Papa with a girl young enough to be his granddaughter and literal battery against a player for any Jags players to even elude to the obvious. 

I disagree with my superiors nearly constantly. Arguably even more as my agency isn't headed by anyone with even a law degree- not unlike a player stuck under a coach who never played a down at any real level. Like, dude, I 100% know more about anything law related than the head of my agency and it's not even a fair competition. It's a fact, plain and simple. But guess what? End of the day, I've got his back 100% if asked, and if there is trouble brewing, I do damage control. I have no issues privately going ballistic on him for screwing something up, but think I'd ever tell the media/public? No way. Not a chance. To them, everything is copacetic. And even if I wanted him gone (I don't) I wouldn't outright say it. 

Players are going to do the same with coaches and teammates 9/10 times. Anyone who has ever held a job with any stakes understands that. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 1:39 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I see the point and to some degree there may be truth of beat reporters being positive and putting an overly positive spin on things. As said above, no player is going to come out and say ‘that Alex Leatherwood looks like a third rounder to me, he’s struggling for sure’.

The questions are soft, designed to promote a positive feeling in camp and I think the reporters (as with most fans probably) are just looking to make a kind of feel good story and breed some optimism at this long, particularly dragging time of year.

I think players and coaches would generally be optimistic this time of year too, keen to promote the positives and what’s going well. I struggle to believe there’s anything really nefarious about the reporting, it’s probably (well, definitely) too soft and not actual ‘critical reporting’ but  would think every teams’ reporters do that at this very early stage to try and drum up interest and excitement as that sells more jerseys and that is generally what most players, coaches, fans and the team wants to hear.

It’s only us old, beat down, seen it all before types on FF that want real critical analysis of what’s going on 😁😁