​🔥​ Pick #135 is in: Aidan O'Connell, QB, Purdue

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, reddevil said:

Quite simply couldn’t have gone any better for the lad. The moment didn’t seem too big for him - in fact he seemed to revel in it. 

Technically - he throws a pretty ball, accurate, quick and where the receiver would want it. He seems decisive in his reads - as soon as he sees an open man - the ball is gone.

Mentally (and this is where I was most impressed) - he was calm and composed, didn’t get shaken (the throw to the TE when he was on the back foot and off balance for example). He seemed to be in control in the huddle - communicating clearly, never rushed, giving himself and everyone time to get set prior to the snap. The difference between him, Garbers and Lance was palpable with regards to mentality imo.

Obviously very early days - but as close to a dream debut as you can get.

Agree with everything here, great observations.

O'Connell looked like the experienced vet whilst the other two looked like rookies to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with everything here, great observations.

O'Connell looked like the experienced vet whilst the other two looked like rookies to me.

Definitely looked like a guy that 31 other teams are going to be sorry they passed on, even if he's just a backup at the end of the day. 

I'd take an O'Connell in the 4th all day over some of the turns we've seen drafted day 1 or early day 2. 

If his ceiling is a Jimmy or Carr, fabulous. It's ok to want more, obviously, but how many teams are sorta left twisting in the wind if QB1 goes down? You can waste some prime years of guys due to poor backup QB play. If your backup is good enough to start on a lot of teams, which Jimmy and Carr are, you're in a good spot. And if you get to a point he's better than them....you get the point. 

I may be in a minority here, but give me a Jimmy or Carr with an equitable backup QB over a Burrow with a....? backup all day. Injuries happen. Burrow goes down, Cincy is toast. Their backups looked abysmal. Having a superstar QB is nice and a worthwhile goal, but if you have no depth at the position, you're playing with fire. 

Great debut. Need to see more obviously. He was only pressured on 11% of his passes, that helped make it easy. What I did see was poise. Stood tall in the pocket, didn't get happy feet and delivered. Really nice ball that Tucker dropped down the sideline. Great touch, accuracy and feel for the the offense.

• Like 2

Kid looked sharp.  

Not gonna get too excited yet. Most of his passes seemed to be one read throws.  Good on him for executing, but a lot of 1,2,3 throw kinda plays. Obviously playing without starters and against backups at best. 

He made Lance look like trash in comparison, but I already knew that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Great debut. Need to see more obviously. He was only pressured on 11% of his passes, that helped make it easy. What I did see was poise. Stood tall in the pocket, didn't get happy feet and delivered. Really nice ball that Tucker dropped down the sideline. Great touch, accuracy and feel for the the offense.

The ball placement and decision making were nice. Not sure if he's ever going to be a starter but he looks like a guy that can be a high end backup / spot starter for the next 4 years.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:26 AM, bucksavage1 said:

I don’t care how good your arm is, if you can’t deal with pressure in the NFL, he’s gonna be limited 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:29 AM, bucksavage1 said:

I’d prefer Tune or DTR

On 4/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Then again I’ll be happily surprised if he’s a baller. Will give him every opportunity 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Aidan can sling it. Ball placement, accuracy and arm strength good enough for an nfl starter. It’s Not much of an athlete though.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:57 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Rewatched his college highlights and wow he has a great arm and very accurate. The throws he made vs big ten defense very impressive. Give him time to throw and he will get it there

On 6/4/2023 at 7:48 AM, bucksavage1 said:

One of the positives about Jimmy G offseason injury is that Aidan OC gets more offseason reps with the starters. In case Jimmy G hurts during the regular season 🧐 He will be more prepared to step in

On 6/4/2023 at 7:53 AM, bucksavage1 said:

@Darbsk Watch this highlight tape

@MrOaktown_56 You’re 100% correct 🎯 this is no borderline nfl arm

On 6/9/2023 at 10:02 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Goff, Cousins, Brissett, Tua and Carr can be statues QBs. Probably throw in Stafford as well

On 6/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, bucksavage1 said:

That was 2 seasons ago. Bell is with the Browns now. Aidan OC could have grown more over time

Me warning up over time on AOC lol

• Like 4

^ Just watched that too and came here to post it.  JT can be super critical of guys, and you can't find a negative comment in that video. 

AOC seems like a prototype McD QB. I don't think guys like Richardson were ever in the cards. He likes a Peyton Manning stand in the pocket and run his plays as they are drawn up. Don't improvise and start scrambling around. McD has confidence in his scheme. AOC executed it perfectly. You see him being clean with his feet, don't move too much in the pocket and get off balance, and be on time. 

Can't ask for a better start for AOC.

EDIT: Manning in terms of mobility not in terms of changing plays. McD I believe trusts his scheme, and so in general likely wants his QB to run his plays as is.

Edited by #1RAIDER FAN
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

^ Just watched that too and came here to post it.  JT can be super critical of guys, and you can't find a negative comment in that video. 

AOC seems like a prototype McD QB. I don't think guys like Richardson were ever in the cards. He likes a Peyton Manning stand in the pocket and run his plays as they are drawn up. Don't improvise and start scrambling around. McD has confidence in his scheme. AOC executed it perfectly. You see him being clean with his feet, don't move too much in the pocket and get off balance, and be on time. 

Can't ask for a better start for AOC.

EDIT: Manning in terms of mobility not in terms of changing plays. McD I believe trusts his scheme, and so in general likely wants his QB to run his plays as is.

a young QB, that he can mold into who he needs to just run his plays and execute his offense. 

• Like 1