5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

This idea sounds good, in theory. But it’s a terrible idea in reality. 

If you draft a new QB every year, you’re never going to properly develop anyone. 

Well, at the very least every other year, because you'll know what kind of upside he has after 2 years and whether he's worth developing further. It certainly shouldn't be a Kellen Mond situation where you're basically throwing him out with the bathwater about 6 weeks into his rookie year, which is what Zimmer did.  I think we'll have a pretty good idea of Hall's potential upside (which is likely only as a backup) after a full year and the 2024 preseason.  By then, we should know whether he can be a capable backup. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It certainly shouldn't be a Kellen Mond situation where you're basically throwing him out with the bathwater about 6 weeks into his rookie year, which is what Zimmer did. 

other than Zimmer in this instance was correct. did any other team pick up Mond (for free) and see potential and invest training time in him?

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

other than Zimmer in this instance was correct. did any other team pick up Mond (for free) and see potential and invest training time in him?

He was picked up off of waivers by Cleveland, and he’s still there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

He was picked up off of waivers by Cleveland, and he’s still there. 

And he's competing with Josh Dobbs for the backup job (along with their draft pick of DTR, whom many of us liked for the Vikings this season), although he's a long-shot vs. Dobbs. 

On 6/8/2023 at 6:53 PM, KeithVikings28 said:

Mond was just a terrible pick.

Jaren Hall is light years ahead.

He has a low ceiling though. Hall is probably only projected as a career backup.

I think with Mond the team saw something more, which is why they invested a 3rd in him.

Neither guy should stop the team from trying to find "the guy" though. If Williams/Maye is there when we are drafting, you absolutely draft them. Carolina and Tennessee just did that this past draft, replacing Corral/Willis.

• Like 1

Mіnneѕotа fell іn love wіth Hаll’ѕ сhаrасter, notіng thаt hіѕ аttіtude ѕсoreѕ on рѕyсhologісаl teѕtѕ were “off the сhаrtѕ.”

Vіkіngѕ dіreсtor of ѕсoutіng Mіke Sholіton: “The humіlіty to know thаt he doeѕn’t know іѕ juѕt аѕ іmрortаnt. We’ve hаd рlаyerѕ іn the раѕt thаt lіe through the рre-drаft рroсeѕѕ. They fаke іt untіl you mаke іt. Wіth our ѕtаff of exрertѕ, they hаve а rаdаr for thаt. Jаren never trіed to рull thаt off.”

https://apkcombat.com/what-the-minnesota-vikings-like-about-new-qb-former-byu-cougar-jaren-hall-thao

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He has a low ceiling though. Hall is probably only projected as a career backup.

I think with Mond the team saw something more, which is why they invested a 3rd in him.

Neither guy should stop the team from trying to find "the guy" though. If Williams/Maye is there when we are drafting, you absolutely draft them. Carolina and Tennessee just did that this past draft, replacing Corral/Willis.

I mean of course that’s a no brainer lol. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are immediately starters… Also, they won’t be available at our pick so it would more likely trading the house to get either one of those guys. 

I don’t believe Jaren Halls ceiling is as low as you would think. Last year, ESPN had Hall as a top 10 pick and that was never the case with Kellen Mond. 

But as always time will tell. We are trending in the right direction.

Edited by KeithVikings28
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Jaren Hall is a smooth athlete at the QB spot with natural arm talent and quality ball placement. ... His arm strength is good, not great, and he wasn't pressured often in college. He has some scrambling skill but (is) not a designed-run type at the next level. He has a smaller frame, but he will check most team's height boxes. His pocket presence and coverage reading need improvement.

While Hall "lacks a true standout trait as a passer" and "doesn't have loads of experience dealing with pressure," he's a "smooth athlete" with two years of "quality production as a starter." CBS Sports' pro comparison for Hall was Titans QB Ryan Tannehill.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who-is-jaren-hall-vikings-rookie-backup-qb-takes-over-for-kirk-cousins-whos-feared-to-have-torn-achilles/

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is there any faith that Jaren Hall can right the ship at QB for us?

It will all depend on the game plan that O’Connell and Phillips create for him. 

With the way the the receivers and line are playing, there’s not many better situations that Hall could be stepping into. 

The run game needs to be capable. Benching Mattison would probably help. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It will all depend on the game plan that O’Connell and Phillips create for him. 

With the way the the receivers and line are playing, there’s not many better situations that Hall could be stepping into. 

The run game needs to be capable. Benching Mattison would probably help. 

Run game has been a disaster. Doesn’t seem to matter who they play at RB. Will see how good the OL truly is and if Cousins made them look better than they are. Hall certainly has the supporting cast. I’d assume Mullens is likely to take over when healthy unless Hall is phenomenal. 

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Run game has been a disaster. Doesn’t seem to matter who they play at RB. Will see how good the OL truly is and if Cousins made them look better than they are. Hall certainly has the supporting cast. I’d assume Mullens is likely to take over when healthy unless Hall is phenomenal. 

I don’t know if Hall has to be “phenomenal” to keep the job, because I wouldn’t expect Mullens to be phenomenal. He probably has to be reasonably decent.

• Like 1