5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, they came from vastly different backgrounds, but a lot of the blame could also be put on the offensive coaching staff for not tailoring the offense to Kirk's strengths.  Sure, Zim should take most of the blame, but he was always a defensive guy and wasn't going to involve himself much in the offensive scheming, outside of wanting to run the ball more...and Kirk never had the same OC from year to year until now, so he had to learn a new offense every year.  While KOC should take a lot of credit for being able to provide support, Kirk has worked awfully hard to develop himself as he's gotten better every single year.  Hall will be a true test of KOC's influence on the offense. 

Zimmer hired the offensive coaching staff. He brought in guys who wanted to run the offense as he saw fit which was mostly handicapping the QB and leaning on the run. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer hired the offensive coaching staff. He brought in guys who wanted to run the offense as he saw fit which was mostly handicapping the QB and leaning on the run. 

Zimmer wanted balance in the offense, as does every smart HC.  Keeping an effective ground game going strong rests the D, so when they are on the field, they're rested and play faster.  

It's pure heaven for a team to have a QB who can sling it, carrying the team, like a Mahomes, Brady or Manning.  Look at the Eagles this year . . . They can run it, like last year, but now are passing like mad.   Pacheco made the Chiefs champions last year even though we all know Mahomes is Mahomes.

As much as I love the guy, I think Zimmer always had a point to prove . . . And kept using a sledge hammer on finish nails.  If Shurmur had stayed and Norv Turner never set foot in the building, I think things would've been better.   Ultimately, the defense rebelling on Zimmer is what got him fired.   

• Like 1

Zimmer’s failing wasnt his offensive philosophy, per se, it was his refusal to adapt to the game and the team around him. 

Yes, a strong run game is nice to have, and controlling the clock is great when you have a top shelf defense. The problem occurred when the defense was no longer top flight. Not only did Zimmer refuse to open up his offense to one that would score often, but he failed to lean on/utilize to their best ability the best players on the team.

When you have a roster that contains players like Cousins, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, and eventually Jefferson in place of Diggs, but still choose to play the grind it out style of play? That’s coaching malpractice. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 5

Kevin O’Connell: "It's going to be different. I've tried to spend a lot of time with Jaren, not just this week but since he's arrived here, to learn more about him. I was watching him real closely the other day in Green Bay when he went in the game: how he came off, how he was on the sideline. All that led me to believe Jaren's ready for this moment.”

MinnesotaVikingsTrueFans.com

10 minutes ago, GermanVike said:

I think he looked very good and poised out there yesterday. However, he needs to learn how to protect himself better on scrambles, even though I admire his effort to get into the endzone.

I'll give him credit. He at least looks like he belongs in the NFL.

That's more than what Kellen Mond has done in his career.

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

If he clears the concussion protocol, and that’s a big if, I’d still start him over Dobbs. 

It's a tough one, if he stays on schedule with the concussion protocol, Thursday would be the first day he'd be able to get non-contact, live, reps and go through a full-practice worth of work.

The Vikings have a way of keeping relevant, don't we?😆  

Mullens is able to come off IR.  Wait n see for Hall.  Dobbs is not of this earth, probably some Men In Black character.  

I suspect none of the QBs takes tomorrow off.  They HAVE to know what a privilege it is to play on a team with an O-Line and D like we have this year (as the team grows).  So, I'm thinking each one will work their tails off to be on the field.  

If Hall is able to return, I'd have him back at #2.   Mullens should be an active #3.

Yesterday would've been disastrous I'd Dobbs got hurt.  KOC would've needed pads, lol. 

• Like 1