5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

Overview

An undersized pocket quarterback with unimpressive arm strength, Hall’s field command gives him a shot to make it at the next level. He throws with excellent ball placement to targets on the move and delivers a feathery soft deep ball with accuracy. His lack of drive velocity creates smaller margins for error and his timing needs to be impeccable to beat NFL man coverage. Hall operates with ideal poise from the pocket. He does an adequate job of reading coverages and getting rid of the ball without taking sacks. The size and arm strength will concern some teams, but offenses operating out of heavy play-action with levels-based route concepts could target him as a solid future backup.

NFL.com

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Overview

An undersized pocket quarterback with unimpressive arm strength, Hall’s field command gives him a shot to make it at the next level. He throws with excellent ball placement to targets on the move and delivers a feathery soft deep ball with accuracy. His lack of drive velocity creates smaller margins for error and his timing needs to be impeccable to beat NFL man coverage. Hall operates with ideal poise from the pocket. He does an adequate job of reading coverages and getting rid of the ball without taking sacks. The size and arm strength will concern some teams, but offenses operating out of heavy play-action with levels-based route concepts could target him as a solid future backup.

NFL.com

Who wrote this?  Unimpressive arm strength?  Dude throws the ball with great velocity and has a super quick and accurate release.  Sure he is not Josh Allen throwing but who is, I would say Hall has an above average arm and in terms of ball velocity and the zip he puts on it is very good, dude can spin the thing.  Honestly one could argue he was just behind Hooker and Levis as the next best talent in terms of pure arm talent as a QB in this draft.  Is very good off platform as well going opposite direction which helps show arm strength and arm talent.  

10552899.gif

Hall-to-Dax-USU.gif

Hall-non-TD.gif

Hall-rollout.gif

And for a guy who is not a runner, this was a sneaky slipper run by him and he made more than a few of them.

Hall-scramble.gif

Vikings got a steal with him.

• Like 2

I think that it is very hard to consider a fifth round quarterback a steal unless he becomes an adequate starter. Otherwise, he is a camp arm, practice squad guy, or a back up who doesn’t see the field. I am indifferent to the player, but I am not a fan of the pic. I think we probably could’ve gotten a guy who could contribute on special teams at least.

Just now, wcblack34 said:

I think that it is very hard to consider a fifth round quarterback a steal unless he becomes an adequate starter. Otherwise, he is a camp arm, practice squad guy, or a back up who doesn’t see the field. I am indifferent to the player, but I am not a fan of the pic. I think we probably could’ve gotten a guy who could contribute on special teams at least.

If he develops into a solid backup,  I think it was a good pick

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

i get that, it's a sensible view.

since we didn't go for a top QB this draft, we would be doing so after this coming season presumably, or going with more year(s) of Cousins.

Hall will back up that guy, you have to think. or maybe some day be traded for more than we paid for him.

it's a hard call, drafting a guy who sits on the bench.

I was watching the draft while on the treadmill at the gym (I've lost 54 lbs in the last 6 months!!) Hall's highlights on ESPN made me think that he's a poor man's Russell Wilson. It would be a great pick by the Vikings if he beats out Mullins to become number 2 on the depth chart at camp.

• Like 10