5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

To play devils advocate... I dont think he's being drafted as some sort of Cousins replacement, he's simply an "insurance policy" in the event that Cousins is injured.

Sure backup QBs arent winning the Super Bowl all that often, but it has happened. More importantly from an ownership standpoint (its really all about the money in the end), you need to still be a competitive team in the event your quarterback goes down. Baltimore, San Francisco and Miami all made the playoffs with backups playing fairly significant time. I'm pretty confident that the 49ers werent expecting Brock Purdy to be anything more than a bench warmer when they drafted him in the 7th round, but I think we can all agree that the 49ers were probably darn happy they made that decision to take the bench warmer instead of a special teams player.

Miami also was a good example that having depth at the position is important too.

As for Jaren Hall as a player, he definitely looks like more of a dart thrower than a rocket launcher but as noted in some of the scouting reports, he actually had 13 TD passes of 20+ air yards (which was good for 7th overall in FBS) so its not as if he cant make downfield throws. I like his sneaky running ability as well to take those "gimme yards" when the defense drops back in man coverage or deep zones. His ball placement on throws looks like a real strong point and I think is the biggest reason he could still keep the team competitive if he actually got forced into the lineup. Again, I've no delusions about him ever being "the guy" who is some top 10 QB in the league, but as I started my post with he's the kind of insurance policy player you buy because you need to be prepared for that unfortunate situation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I was watching the draft while on the treadmill at the gym (I've lost 54 lbs in the last 6 months!!) Hall's highlights on ESPN made me think that he's a poor man's Russell Wilson. It would be a great pick by the Vikings if he beats out Mullins to become number 2 on the depth chart at camp.

Keep working, brother! Congrats!

He's an old prospect likely due to his church mission, right?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ares Caesar said:

To play devils advocate... I dont think he's being drafted as some sort of Cousins replacement, he's simply an "insurance policy" in the event that Cousins is injured.

Sure backup QBs arent winning the Super Bowl all that often, but it has happened. More importantly from an ownership standpoint (its really all about the money in the end), you need to still be a competitive team in the event your quarterback goes down. Baltimore, San Francisco and Miami all made the playoffs with backups playing fairly significant time. I'm pretty confident that the 49ers werent expecting Brock Purdy to be anything more than a bench warmer when they drafted him in the 7th round, but I think we can all agree that the 49ers were probably darn happy they made that decision to take the bench warmer instead of a special teams player.

Miami also was a good example that having depth at the position is important too.

As for Jaren Hall as a player, he definitely looks like more of a dart thrower than a rocket launcher but as noted in some of the scouting reports, he actually had 13 TD passes of 20+ air yards (which was good for 7th overall in FBS) so its not as if he cant make downfield throws. I like his sneaky running ability as well to take those "gimme yards" when the defense drops back in man coverage or deep zones. His ball placement on throws looks like a real strong point and I think is the biggest reason he could still keep the team competitive if he actually got forced into the lineup. Again, I've no delusions about him ever being "the guy" who is some top 10 QB in the league, but as I started my post with he's the kind of insurance policy player you buy because you need to be prepared for that unfortunate situation.

Don’ know if you are playing the devils advocate because I think you are on point. 

• Like 3

Jaren Hall can sling the rock, making 50+ yard throws flat footed almost, he can sling the football and has very good arm talent.  For a 5th round pick, awesome and again could easily argue he was the 6th best QB in this draft.

Think about how he would have looked if he played at Georgia or another top school with NFL prospects, BYU was not loaded with NFL talent on offense at all, weapons were not great, this past year the RB was not great and sure Freeland is a OT prospect and athlete and Barrington will be next year at OG who transferred to Baylor but the guy was not surrounded with super high end talent.  

Of the QBs the Vikings have taken that were not 1st round picks, I would say Jaren Hall is as talented as any of them.  Not a great list and is not saying much, but for a team in need of a solid developmental QB and or backup QB Hall is a nice prospect, very nice to get in the 5th round!

Kellen Mond
Nate Stanley
John David Booty
Tyler Thigpen
Tarvaris Jackson

In terms of UDFA guys the Vikings picked, sure I am forgetting some and most were under Zimmer I believe.  

Todd Bouman
Taylor Heinicke
Jake Browning
Wes Lunt
Joel Stave
Peter Pujals

2006-2007-2008 they drafted a QB each of those years which is pretty nuts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ares Caesar said:

I don't think many people are thinking he was drafted to be Cousins replacement.  Maybe after a year he can compete with the rookie drafted next year to start or a a stop gap to the next QB but even that might be optimistic 

For all we know, Jaren Hall could turn out to be better than Russel Wilson if given a shot. 

As for remaining competitive because it’s still a business — I don’t think the Vikings will have an issue with business, even if they did bottom out and had the worst record in the league. That’s not how their fans are built, and are we worried about sponsors backing off because of a bad year? Does that actually happen? I’m no expert on that side of things. 

Edited by Morlee

Hall’s injury history and age caused him to fall in the draft.

Hall, 25, was a recruit in the 2016 class who served a two-year Mormon mission before arriving on campus. He missed five games in 2019 with multiple concussions, redshirted in 2020 because of a hip injury, missed two games as a junior with a rib/core injury and missed time as a senior with a right ankle injury.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/29/vikings-draft-jaren-hall-with-164th-overall-choice/

• Like 1

Ian Cummings, Pro Football Network:

"The raw talent is, at the very least, intriguing with Hall. The BYU QB generates velocity with little strain, and his passes travel quickly in the short and intermediate ranges. He’s a very natural thrower who knows how to channel through his body to get maximum velocity. Hall has the arm strength to push the ball outside the numbers in the intermediate range, and his release is effortless on short throws.

Hall has not only the requisite arm strength but also the requisite arm elasticity. The BYU QB is comfortable throwing from different arm angles and can generate velocity with ease off-platform. He has a visibly elastic arm, a crisp release, and an effective sidearm release. He’s shown he can actively manipulate arm angles to elongate throwing windows."

Kyle Crabbs, The Draft Network:

"On the field, I saw a lot of likable mechanics and footwork to quick reads, but I don’t necessarily think that he’s a rhythm passer at this point unless he’s throwing hot or the early read is available to him. At the NFL level, Hall stands to benefit from polishing his progression timeliness and anticipation of when to ax his early progressions based on defensive leverage and early indicators. The hope is that it comes with additional playing experience. He had some wonky misses on half-field reads, too—it looks like he’s rushed his process at times and spot throws have simply gotten away from him. I don’t think he’s high variance to the point of no return but you will need to thread the needle with getting him polished in this regard and being mindful of his physical maturation as a dynamic passer; his age works against him in this regard from an NFL draft resume perspective. 

Expectations for Hall should be tempered in the short term. I don’t think this is a player any team would be eager to push into action too quickly. But his raw physical ability is too much to simply overlook or write off due to his age. There’s a sweet spot in the draft for his upside and mitigating the risks of a non-traditional resume and path to the pro game. His worst-case scenario, in my mind, is a long-term backup quarterback."

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/what-draft-experts-said-about-new-vikings-qb-jaren-hall/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2MXt_y1FXf5OPTtxbu_7RxwzbDz55c_4o4eHWrjw4KBEtzokzvKcAzxuQ

• Like 1