5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Heaven forbid a QB holding a teammate accountable. The horror. 

You can have strong character, strong leadership, AND hold your teammates accountable. It is not an either or proposition.

You can hold a teammate accountable in private and still take on a good teammate/leadership stance to outsiders. This binary "right or wrong" way to answer is weird to me.

Every test the Vikings put in front of him, BYU QB Jaren Hall passed with flying colors.

“His aptitude testing and psychological were off the charts, he really tested well in every appreciable metric that we can use and we’re thinking that … whatever he wasn’t asked to do at BYU he’ll be able to learn,” Sholiton said.

In studying every element of his game, the Vikings’ director of college scouting also took note of the way Hall’s teammates reacted to him on the field and the way he cheered on his fellow players front and center.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/why-the-vikings-wanted-quarterback-jaren-hall

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's implied from the phrasing.  If you're stating that you're giving him the opportunity to suggest that it was the player running the wrong route, then you are suggesting that you'd ding him if he did say it.  That's not anywhere near projection.  They basically said it.

I am not sure I read it the same way you did. I think they were merely curious what he would say about a busted play.  It became an illustrated of his good character, but other than that, probably not important enough to make a difference in the teams decision.

STRENGTHS: Athletic and quick-footed … very efficient in the RPO game and on play-action-boots … spins the ball well on the move and his arm strength looked better on his 2022 tape … controlled mechanics in the pocket or in motion, with a clean, compact release … displays workable ball placement on pitch-and-catch and bucket throws … cunning as a scrambler and when buying time (sacked just 12 times in 2022) … fully functioning internal clock and not afraid to throw the ball away (7.6 percent of his attempts in 2022 were throwaways, which ranked No. 2 among qualifying FBS quarterbacks) … well-built and strong for his shorter stature … mature and married with a family (Blake Freeland: “He’s very selfless and a great leader.”) … competitive, multi-year team captain and was raised to be a leader.

WEAKNESSES: Shorter than ideal with a history of injuries … inconsistent deep-ball accuracy and his receivers are often waiting for the football … accuracy suffers when forced to reset his feet/eyes on the move … when he misses, it is usually high … it will be tougher for him to make defenders miss in the NFL than it was in college … needs to take better care of the football, having accounted for more fumbles (13) at BYU than interceptions (11) … his durability is a question mark: missed five games in 2019 because of multiple concussions; redshirted in 2020 because of a hip injury; missed two games as a junior with a rib/core injury (September 2021); missed time as a senior because of a right ankle injury (November 2022) …

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/5/2/23708986/breaking-down-jaren-hall?fbclid=IwAR1ybGsRk6vHvDB-1B5dRmh3qBvVHW4Pof5aBQDiLmPluVE3pr-2WjbJrCw

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Is it just me, or are his arms short and hands small?

Not that it matters much for a QB to have long arms, but sub-30 just seems really short to me.

I'm also a 6'2" circus freak with 35 inch arms. So there's that. 

2nd percentile for arm length, 45 percentile for hand size among QBs.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeesh. I wonder how many passes were batted for him, or if that's a factor that short arms might contribute to. 

I read somewhere that very few of his passes got batted down, because he learned to adapt to the line height.

Fumbles were a bigger issue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

O'Connell: "I'll spend a lot of time with Jaren. I'm a big fan of his. Love the way he came out and commanded a group of guys that are learning a bunch of information for the first time. There were some ups, there were some downs, and that's what we expect. And then ultimately, just trying to give him tangible, real things that when Monday morning rolls around and the vets walk in here and he starts throwing beside Kirk and Nick, that he's got some real tangible things that he can work on every single rep."

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-rookie-minicamp-observations?fbclid=IwAR2_fg8oIrkwXGPsuYwU1fozBhYJwtCBjoenFD642p3lmt70YuvRc_xuWPE

• Like 1