5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Hall’s injury history and age caused him to fall in the draft.

Hall, 25, was a recruit in the 2016 class who served a two-year Mormon mission before arriving on campus. He missed five games in 2019 with multiple concussions, redshirted in 2020 because of a hip injury, missed two games as a junior with a rib/core injury and missed time as a senior with a right ankle injury.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/29/vikings-draft-jaren-hall-with-164th-overall-choice/

So, same age as Hendon Hooker?  According to the above, he's more raw than Hooker and his arm isn't as strong. Is it draft position that makes Hall a better choice? Just trying to understand. 

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

So, same age as Hendon Hooker?  According to the above, he's more raw than Hooker and his arm isn't as strong. Is it draft position that makes Hall a better choice? Just trying to understand. 

A better choice? I’m not sure exactly what you mean, but yeah, I feel better about taking Hall in the 5th round than I would have taking Hooker in the 1st. Draft position is the biggest part of that.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

the thing is, they are the same age for different reasons.

1. Hall went on a mormon mission for 2 years prior to enrolling at BYU. Then he had some injuries, and was behind the eventual #2 overall pick in Zach Wilson. That said, Hall was very good from the get-go. Hooker dwelled in mediocrity at Virginia Tech until he went to that air raid offense in Tenn.

2. I think Hall has a stronger arm, but they are comparable. Hall has shown to make NFL throws and reads in BYU's system though; unlike Hooker in the air raid offense.

3. Draft position 100% plays a role in it. Hall was also a baseball player at BYU, didnt solely just focus on football until the last 2 years. In terms of football age, he still is young and has a lot of room to grow.

I recommended to people to go on youtube and find interviews with Jaren Hall and watch them if you have time. You'll see what the Vikings see in him from a person/leadership standpoint. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I mean they literally watched the play together…

Ok? I assume it's not always obvious when the WR ran the wrong route.  It doesn't say how the Vikings knew. 

To be clear,  I don't think that's the case but it wouldn't surprise me if a player was able to bull**** their way through it by just saying that I have to do better

I personally think he could have said that the player ran the wrong route, but he should have recognized that and made it right.  I personally think it's a cop-out for the Vikings to suggest that they were going to ding him if he indicated that the player ran the wrong route...as if saying that is somehow lacking in leadership skills.  That's nonsense.  You can take accountability while still acknowledging another player made an error.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Hall earned his Senior Bowl invite because he extended plays, threw from numerous arm angles and feathered the ball nicely downfield. Team brass mentioned each of these elements as part of the reason the Vikings picked him in the fifth round.

“The fifth round is really good value for him,” Nagy said. “He did a nice job operating that offense at BYU, and he’s got really good physical traits.”

https://theathletic.com/4478497/2023/05/02/vikings-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-nagy/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Holy cow this site sometimes. No one said they were going to ding him - that's you projecting. All the tweet said was that the guy was exhibiting leadership ability. 

Nitpicking just to nitpick 🙄

It's implied from the phrasing.  If you're stating that you're giving him the opportunity to suggest that it was the player running the wrong route, then you are suggesting that you'd ding him if he did say it.  That's not anywhere near projection.  They basically said it.

Edited by swede700

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's implied from the phrasing.  If you're stating that you're giving him the opportunity to suggest that it was the player running the wrong route, then you are suggesting that you'd ding him if he did say it.  That's not anywhere near projection.  They basically said it.

I read that differently than you.  I read it as the team bringing up a situation and seeing how he would handle it.  I didn't read it as suggesting there was only one right way to respond.

• Like 2

That's fine, but I just don't understand how someone can read "We gave him the opportunity to say that the player ran the wrong route" and take it any other way than that they'd ding him if he did.  You don't give him the opportunity to say so unless you're looking for him not to say it.  If they didn't make the suggestion about that "opportunity", absolutely I'd agree with you.  But, they were basically setting him up.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Holy cow this site sometimes. No one said they were going to ding him - that's you projecting. All the tweet said was that the guy was exhibiting leadership ability. 

Nitpicking just to nitpick 🙄

"sometimes"? If only.....

I'm good with this pick. He's a late round flyer who might be worth more than that, but is dinged for being too old.....among other things that most likely aren't real issues.