5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It will all depend on the game plan that O’Connell and Phillips create for him. 

With the way the the receivers and line are playing, there’s not many better situations that Hall could be stepping into. 

The run game needs to be capable. Benching Mattison would probably help. 

Mattison runs hard, it is just the Packers have a great front 7 and pretty suspect backup safeties so they get ripped in the passing game.  The Vikings have CJ Ham and Josh Oliver and both rarely play or see time, so of course the Vikings cannot run the ball.  Not to mention the WRs are all very thin and very small, Jefferson, Addison, Osborn and Powell all little smaller dudes and none of them are great blockers.  Do not get a lot of help blocking in the run game with those guys and limits longer runs.  

Not sure O'Connell will change the offense to put more run blockers in now that Cousins is out.  And of course Cousins made the OL look better than it is because his experience and ability to read defenses and get rid of the football.  Possible than whoever is in at QB gets killed because of the pressure put on him unless they can run the ball.

Really though to trade a lot to get a QB for what, get into the Wild Card game and lose in the 1st game, not sure that is worth it.

Might as well see what Hall has at QB and see how it goes.  The Vikings have been a mess at backup QB for years now with Mannion sticking around who has no long term future.  Better see if Hall has a future in the league or not, especially with the next draft coming up.  Could always bring over Kellen Mond if things go really bad 😉  The team is not better off with Mullens either but he is apparently there guy as the backup for whatever reason even though they could have got someone else and been better prepared, but were spoiled because Kirk never got hurt like this before as a Viking.  

53 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Mattison runs hard, it is just the Packers have a great front 7 and pretty suspect backup safeties so they get ripped in the passing game.  The Vikings have CJ Ham and Josh Oliver and both rarely play or see time, so of course the Vikings cannot run the ball.  Not to mention the WRs are all very thin and very small, Jefferson, Addison, Osborn and Powell all little smaller dudes and none of them are great blockers.  Do not get a lot of help blocking in the run game with those guys and limits longer runs.  

Not sure O'Connell will change the offense to put more run blockers in now that Cousins is out.  And of course Cousins made the OL look better than it is because his experience and ability to read defenses and get rid of the football.  Possible than whoever is in at QB gets killed because of the pressure put on him unless they can run the ball.

Really though to trade a lot to get a QB for what, get into the Wild Card game and lose in the 1st game, not sure that is worth it.

Might as well see what Hall has at QB and see how it goes.  The Vikings have been a mess at backup QB for years now with Mannion sticking around who has no long term future.  Better see if Hall has a future in the league or not, especially with the next draft coming up.  Could always bring over Kellen Mond if things go really bad 😉  The team is not better off with Mullens either but he is apparently there guy as the backup for whatever reason even though they could have got someone else and been better prepared, but were spoiled because Kirk never got hurt like this before as a Viking.  

I think you hit on what has been so hard about this with Vikings watchers...Cousins has always been healthy enough to play, and for whatever reason (not saying it is wrong) the front office doesn't have a viable plan B without Cousins. I mean, why would they?  KAM and KOC have their work cut out for them. I have confidence in both, but I may be in a minority among fans.

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

In those plays, I'm confident in saying he's better than Kellen Mond!

Agree. Looked better in the preseason and in COllege too.

Will be a big jump to the NFL though.

But he had more passing yards than the NY Giants offense in a whole game, so there is reason to hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GermanVike said:

Agree. Looked better in the preseason and in COllege too.

Will be a big jump to the NFL though.

But he had more passing yards than the NY Giants offense in a whole game, so there is reason to hope.

I actually wish there was something we could do to help you guys since we’re pretty much out of it. 

• Like 2

I'm ready to roll with the combo of Jaren Hall and Nick Mullens (after he gets off IR).  While that 2.8% chance of making the Super Bowl has gone up in smoke, I still have faith that they can make a run for the playoffs.  I really don't care about draft position.  I want to see what they have in Jaren.  If he sucks, he sucks...but, then at least we'll know.

• Like 7

On 10/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, swede700 said:

I'm ready to roll with the combo of Jaren Hall and Nick Mullens (after he gets off IR).  While that 2.8% chance of making the Super Bowl has gone up in smoke, I still have faith that they can make a run for the playoffs.  I really don't care about draft position.  I want to see what they have in Jaren.  If he sucks, he sucks...but, then at least we'll know.

This is where I’m at. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HEYPAUL! said:

Excited to see the kid play. Feel like the early Teddy days to be honest. But a more balanced supporting cast.

and a supportive head coach as a development guide.

i mean, Zimmer LOVED Teddy as the son he didn't have, but what could he really offer him as a mentor?

On 10/31/2023 at 5:21 PM, vike daddy said:

and a supportive head coach as a development guide.

i mean, Zimmer LOVED Teddy as the son he didn't have, but what could he really offer him as a mentor?

Too bad he didn’t love Cousins the same way, maybe they would have done more together. Took getting Zimmer out of the way for Cousins to reach his peak. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Too bad he didn’t love Cousins the same way, maybe they would have done more together. Took getting Zimmer out of the way for Cousins to reach his peak. 

Well, they came from vastly different backgrounds, but a lot of the blame could also be put on the offensive coaching staff for not tailoring the offense to Kirk's strengths.  Sure, Zim should take most of the blame, but he was always a defensive guy and wasn't going to involve himself much in the offensive scheming, outside of wanting to run the ball more...and Kirk never had the same OC from year to year until now, so he had to learn a new offense every year.  While KOC should take a lot of credit for being able to provide support, Kirk has worked awfully hard to develop himself as he's gotten better every single year.  Hall will be a true test of KOC's influence on the offense. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3