5.164 - Jaren Hall, QB - BYU

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

The Vikings have a way of keeping relevant, don't we?😆  

Mullens is able to come off IR.  Wait n see for Hall.  Dobbs is not of this earth, probably some Men In Black character.  

I suspect none of the QBs takes tomorrow off.  They HAVE to know what a privilege it is to play on a team with an O-Line and D like we have this year (as the team grows).  So, I'm thinking each one will work their tails off to be on the field.  

If Hall is able to return, I'd have him back at #2.   Mullens should be an active #3.

Yesterday would've been disastrous I'd Dobbs got hurt.  KOC would've needed pads, lol. 

Mullens may be eligible to come off of IR, but if he does remains to be seen.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I have a dog in the fight about whether if Hall is healthy, he or Dobbs should be starting.  I'm not sure I really care.  I personally believe both, in the ideal situation, are solid backups who can do fine in a pinch, but not be relied on to be the long-term starter.  So, whoever starts over the rest of the season isn't that relevant to me.  I think Hall needs the reps to help him develop, but if Dobbs starts the rest of the year because he's the better option to win games, that's okay to me as well.  I'm not sure KOC can go wrong either way. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So, has our perception of Jaren Hall changed at all? Do we need a larger sample size? 

He’s not ready for live, regular season football. The game is too fast forHim at this point in his development.. Hopefully he continues to improve and can be a solid backup at some point. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

So, has our perception of Jaren Hall changed at all? Do we need a larger sample size? 

I have been hoping that Hall would develop into a decent backup QB.  I still have that hope so my perception of Hall after the Green Bay game is about the same as it was before the game.  It would have been nice if Hall used the opportunity to change my perception, but he did not.  He still has work to do if he wants to become a decent backup QB.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I have been hoping that Hall would develop into a decent backup QB.  I still have that hope so my perception of Hall after the Green Bay game is about the same as it was before the game.  It would have been nice if Hall used the opportunity to change my perception, but he did not.  He still has work to do if he wants to become a decent backup QB.

I hope we fans have lowered our expectations of Hall...which might give him the "space" he needs to develop into a good backup. 

• Like 2

After sleeping on it, there was soooooo much wrong with that game.    Can we say it was just a bad game overall?   Or, was it a conspiracy-laden script?   Heck, look across all the scores throught the league every week . . . There is always one team getting blown out.

I tend to think it's usually a case of being human and not being prepared.  

Hall was pressured all night . . . In less than 3 seconds.  Mullens felt the same pressure.    Hall missed throws.   He made some poor decisions.   He played like a rookie . . . Shouldn't be a final ruling on his potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I hope we fans have lowered our expectations of Hall...which might give him the "space" he needs to develop into a good backup. 

Hall exactly met my expectations, and his short time on the field told us very little. He's a 5th round rookie who's gotten a crash course on how to be an NFL QB, and he's playing in a complex offensive scheme that relies HEAVILY on timing while buried on the depth chart and thus receiving little time working with the other starters. I've said this elsewhere, but Cousins was already a good NFL QB before KOC took over the offense, and it still took Kirk a season (and a couple of off-seasons) to get comfortable.

The team cannot just plug-and-play QBs in this system. And they can't just install a new system during the season for one player. Dobbs and Hall are not the miracles we hoped for. They need to continue to start Mullens, who is a competent backup with experience in the system. The coaches can help him reduce the INTs.

I would like to see the Vikes draft their QBOF, but in this system it is critical to let the new guy sit behind a starter for a season or two.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Hall exactly met my expectations, and his short time on the field told us very little. He's a 5th round rookie who's gotten a crash course on how to be an NFL QB, and he's playing in a complex offensive scheme that relies HEAVILY on timing while buried on the depth chart and thus receiving little time working with the other starters. I've said this elsewhere, but Cousins was already a good NFL QB before KOC took over the offense, and it still took Kirk a season (and a couple of off-seasons) to get comfortable.

The team cannot just plug-and-play QBs in this system. And they can't just install a new system during the season for one player. Dobbs and Hall are not the miracles we hoped for. They need to continue to start Mullens, who is a competent backup with experience in the system. The coaches can help him reduce the INTs.

I would like to see the Vikes draft their QBOF, but in this system it is critical to let the new guy sit behind a starter for a season or two.

I agree with you. I am not a fan of Mullens in any way, shape or form, but might as well let him start against Detroit. I would also sit Darrisaw and O'Neill.  They both are beat up and appear to be playing in hip deep wet cement.  Might as well let the healing begin...

3 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

About what I expected after his first full start which is why I wanted him given a shot when Dobbs was benched so he wouldn’t thrown out to the wolves the second to last game of the year. Can Hall get better, who knows? He may be out of the league in two years.  Or maybe he can be a good starter. You don’t know until you give him a shot.

Realistically, Cousins probably returns and they draft a Qb early this year or next year and Hall never gets a shot again barring injury.