2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

Here is a scouting report on a player that I think is a solid comp to Tremaine Edmunds. Any guesses?

STRENGTHS
Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games

WEAKNESSES
Developing instincts -- late to locate the ball and too easily fooled by play-action and misdirection. Motor runs hot and cold -- does not always apply himself. Can be locked down too easily when engaged -- unrefined hand use. Lacks variety of pass-rush moves and relies too much on natural speed. Average eyes, anticipation and awareness in coverage marginal feel. Average base strength -- moved off the ball too easily by tight ends (plays tall). Needs more time in the weight room -- 15 bench-press reps were tied for the fewest among linebackers at the combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1 (top 10)

BOTTOM LINE
A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him.

Anthony Barr

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am intrigued by why people prefer Edmunds over a player like Davenport?

Very similar athletes, but one has experience rushing the passer.

For me, I love the versatility Edmunds offers. He can cover slot WRs, he can cover TEs, he can spy athletic QBs. Davenport really only rushes the passer well, and even there he's still a raw player.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

For me, I love the versatility Edmunds offers. He can cover slot WRs, he can cover TEs, he can spy athletic QBs. Davenport really only rushes the passer well, and even there he's still a raw player.

But he does the most important thing, rush the passer.

If they are both raw players with almost identical builds and athletic ability, shouldn't we take the one who hits the other teams QB?

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But he does the most important thing, rush the passer.

If they are both raw players with almost identical builds and athletic ability, shouldn't we take the one who hits the other teams QB?

Yes and no. I've said for a while I see some Aldon Smith in this kid... look at this scouting report on the day he was drafted. FIRST season with Vic Fangio and this dude drops 14 sacks in a part-time-pass-rushing-only role

file.php?id=392&mode=view

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yes and no. I've said for a while I see some Aldon Smith in this kid... look at this scouting report on the day he was drafted. FIRST season with Vic Fangio and this dude drops 14 sacks in a part-time-pass-rushing-only role

This is part of the reason I thin Edmunds makes the most sense. He may only rush the passer part time, but when he isn' he doesn' need to come off the field. Smith literally just rushed theboasser, he was crap vs the run and didn' do coverage. With Edmunds you can have a hybrid player that leads the team on tackles for 10 years and may lead them in sacks as well. 

When we got Urlacher he blitzed from the MLB really well, Edmunds can as too. I' all for having him in a traditional role then moving him to EDGE on obvious situations. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

Edmunds is becoming my guy in this draft, but I won't be upset if we draft Nelson or Fitzpatrick instead. Not one bit.

EXACTLY where I am at. I' love to have Minkah, Nelson is a better OG prospect than Martin was IMO, and Edmunds has freakish potential. With Fangio not long anywhere for 3 years I think he is a great person to get. 

I want Edmunds in one, and Armstrong in 2. If Armstrong is already gone (likely is I think) then give me Armstrong or Hubbard. 

39 minutes ago, G08 said:

Aldon Smith was a full time pass rusher in college. Far less of a projection for him to become and NFL pass rusher than an ILB becoming an impactful pass rusher.

I think it is tough to pass on a blue chip player who needs no projection to take a guy who needs to be projected into another role.

For me Edmunds depends on how many QBs go before us and how many of the top talents fall to us.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Aldon Smith was a full time pass rusher in college. Far less of a projection for him to become and NFL pass rusher than an ILB becoming an impactful pass rusher.

I think it is tough to pass on a blue chip player who needs no projection to take a guy who needs to be projected into another role.

For me Edmunds depends on how many QBs go before us and how many of the top talents fall to us.

Yup, and he did it more out of the 3T than anywhere else. He was projected as an EDGE.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Yup, and he did it more out of the 3T than anywhere else. He was projected as an EDGE.

Who played 3 technique? Smith was a DE in Missouri's 3-4 and moved inside on occasion.

I would be fine with Edmunds, but hard to pass on the top guys for him. Especially when we can more than likely get a super high upside OLB in the 2nd with Carter.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Who played 3 technique? Smith was a DE in Missouri's 3-4 and moved inside on occasion.

I would be fine with Edmunds, but hard to pass on the top guys for him. Especially when we can more than likely get a super high upside OLB in the 2nd with Carter.

He played inside at 3T a LOT and found success there. When he was drafted, one of the big questions on him was "where do you put him".

He wasn't Von Miller that was always screaming off the EDGE.

Edited by G08

Edmunds is an intriguing player. I am not a huge fan that he avoided the vertical jump at the combine and his proday. He also skipped the 3 cone, which is apparently very important for assessing edge rushers.

I think he has a good chance of being the pick, but the risk would be too much for me personally as compared to Nelson. If Edmunds never develops as a pass rusher then I am not sure I love the value.