2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

There seem to be 4 guys that are unanimously viewed as blue chip or elite prospects

Nelson

Chubb

Fitzpatrick

Barkley

It seems like one of them is going to be there when we pick and that we should probably take the one that falls to us, Barkley being the true debate. We seem to be at the edge of the blue chip talent and the QB rush seems to favor us. I am not sure if I would be thrilled with passing on a blue chip guy that falls into our laps.

46 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think Nelson will fall. He's a guard who is going to take him as a top 5 pick?

I dunno... this "generational" crap that keeps getting spewed (not saying it's wrong) probably has some merit with teams I would think.

You don't hear much being pimped about Fitzpatrick other than he's a damned good player (nothing wrong with that).

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

There seem to be 4 guys that are unanimously viewed as blue chip or elite prospects

Nelson

Chubb

Fitzpatrick

Barkley

It seems like one of them is going to be there when we pick and that we should probably take the one that falls to us, Barkley being the true debate. We seem to be at the edge of the blue chip talent and the QB rush seems to favor us. I am not sure if I would be thrilled with passing on a blue chip guy that falls into our laps.

If Barkley falls to us, Pace better RUN (do not walk) to the podium and turn in a card with his name on it. At that very moment,  Howard becomes available to a running back-needy team and we could immediately cut a deal for more picks.

A couple years ago, I was hoping Elliott would fall to us and his bone-headed moves notwithstanding, his presence made all the difference for Prescott. Trubisky should be so lucky.

I’m still sticking with Davenport. He’s just toooooo much of a Ryan Pace guy at our #1 need. 

Also still gunna pimp Nathan Sheperd from Fort Hays St, reminds me of Chris Jones coming out of MSU. Both guys’ combine measurables were extremely sinilar, including size and body type. He absolutely dominated small competition in the same light as Adam Shaheen last season. Could be a dark horse guy if we were trade back/up in the late 2nd- early 3rd. 

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I want Edmunds in one, and Armstrong in 2. If Armstrong is already gone (likely is I think) then give me Armstrong or Hubbard. 

This is how I think Pace should go also. Love Edmunds. His ceiling is through the roof. Then add a true Edge. I would like Carter first. But if he is gone Armstrong or Hubbard would be great. Pick an OG in R4 and let Harry do his job coaching them up.

• Like 2

A name we haven’t heard because all of the focus is on Edmunds: Roquon Smith. Super athletic, way more instructive than Edmunds, and has a lot of the intangibles Pace likes. He’s undersized, but so is Trevethan.

I get that everybody loves the upside of Edmunds and his H/W/S, but Roquon may provide a little more “juice.”

Also Pace will get absolutely roasted if he takes Davenport. “All this guy drafts is small-school players!” After he has taken players from Bama, FSU, West Virginia, UNC, UGA, Florida, Penn State, Miami...

Edited by IronMike84

Doesn't mean much beyond us doing the diligence, but we had people for Landry's pro day @ Boston College.

Good to at least see he's on the radar though. 8 might be a touch high for him, but he's probably still in my top 3-4 people with a realistic shot at being there for pick 8  (Nelson-OG, Ward-CB, Vea-DT being the others in that range)... and both his positional value and our positional need probably should push him into the discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTD said:

This is how I think Pace should go also. Love Edmunds. His ceiling is through the roof. Then add a true Edge. I would like Carter first. But if he is gone Armstrong or Hubbard would be great. Pick an OG in R4 and let Harry do his job coaching them up.

Right. I'm kinda thinking of doubling up twice, 2 LBs early then 2 OL later. Figure Harry would have to find something he liked between Morgan and two draftees he liked. Might get Massies replacement for 2019 or at least a starting OG and depth. Plus with Long, Leno, and soon to be Whitehair all making solid money, we need to invest in youth to keep the OL from eating up too much financial resources. One will likely be groomed to replace Kyle. Idk how much longer Kyle will be around, he's not that young anymore and playing through injuries takes a toll... Love having him here, but have to be realistic. 

4 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

I’m still sticking with Davenport. He’s just toooooo much of a Ryan Pace guy at our #1 need. 

Also still gunna pimp Nathan Sheperd from Fort Hays St, reminds me of Chris Jones coming out of MSU. Both guys’ combine measurables were extremely sinilar, including size and body type. He absolutely dominated small competition in the same light as Adam Shaheen last season. Could be a dark horse guy if we were trade back/up in the late 2nd- early 3rd. 

Davenport does scream Pace to me as well...I think in terms of being a playmaker at a valued position and having just so much upside in terms of his size and athletic ability it's hard to see him passing that up...I fully believe either Davenport or Edmunds will be the pick.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Davenport does scream Pace to me as well...I think in terms of being a playmaker at a valued position and having just so much upside in terms of his size and athletic ability it's hard to see him passing that up...I fully believe either Davenport or Edmunds will be the pick.

I agree with Nelson being the wildcard.

I think the number of connections and the fact that he will help the franchise QB will come into play.

12 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

A name we haven’t heard because all of the focus is on Edmunds: Roquon Smith. Super athletic, way more instructive than Edmunds, and has a lot of the intangibles Pace likes. He’s undersized, but so is Trevethan.

I get that everybody loves the upside of Edmunds and his H/W/S, but Roquon may provide a little more “juice.”

I think you answered your own question. We have Trevathan. Smith is basically the same guy. You need one of your ILBs to be able to take on blocks and fill a hole. I think Smith is a great football player that can make an impact in the NFL and is worthy of consideration as a Top 10 pick, but he'd play the same position as one of the Bears best defenders. Edmunds provides a more versatile skillset where he could conceivably play inside and out, like a better version of Christian Jones.