2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

17 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Edmunds’ poor instincts versus misdirection is still something that worries me a lot. It’s something we saw with Shea McClellin and it’s a big reason why he struggled when he was playing linebacker.

I mean maybe you play him at SAM and just let him set the edge, but I think he’s a MIKE and a MIKE who bites on misdirection is bad for business.

Shea was also 23 his rookie year, and had the physicality of a CB at times. His nickname was "Lawn Chair" around my house for a reason.

He will need to work on that but elite athleticism allows him to make up ground and he will get coached up. Just think about the difference in coaching, now he would be working with VIc Fangio instead of some guy named Bud Foster. I am betting that is a significant upgrade.

Edited by Sugashane

This is my issue with Edmunds.

I miss not sure he has the instincts or awareness to be an NFL ILB.

But if you put him on the edge and train him there insitjncts and awareness are not nearly as important. Half the time he would be rushing.

When I see him I see an edge not an ILB.

Even if you draft Edmunds that shouldn't shut you down from drafting a spot. He can be a utility piece and be adapted to ILB or EDGE, so if you have Key, Armstrong, or Hubbard then you can still get them and put Edmunds on the inside. If you have Jefferson, Jewell, Leonard, or Vander Esch in then then you start working Edmunds at EDGE.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

6’2” and Sub 33” arms is below what many teams want as an edge rusher.

Pernell McPhee is 6’3 and has 34.5” arms. He was also a free agent, which is not as deep an available pool of comparable players.

Landry fails to meet a couple different thresholds and I expect it will cause him to fall further than we think.

I have no issue with Landry on the Bears, I just don’t see it happening. 

8_B14_B989-2443-4_A6_E-_AF3_E-26_DBC68_E

You really think a team with a 6-3 and 33” “requirement” is gonna drop a guy that far or at all for a 1/8” arm length “deficiency” if he checks the other boxes? That’d be incredibly absurd. I’m not seeing any undersized concerns in any scouting reports at all on him. If and when those show up it’s always after the combine where the official measurements take place. We’re obviously beyond that at this point. 

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

8_B14_B989-2443-4_A6_E-_AF3_E-26_DBC68_E

You really think a team with a 6-3 and 33” “requirement” is gonna drop a guy that far or at all for a 1/8” arm length “deficiency” if he checks the other boxes? That’d be incredibly absurd. I’m not seeing any undersized concerns in any scouting reports at all on him. If and when those show up it’s always after the combine where the official measurements take place. We’re obviously beyond that at this point. 

I think they will drop him lower than a guy who meets their physical thresholds.

I think Landry will go in the 1st round, but would be stunned if the Bears took him over Edmunds or Davenport. Stunned.

31 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Even if you draft Edmunds that shouldn't shut you down from drafting a spot. He can be a utility piece and be adapted to ILB or EDGE, so if you have Key, Armstrong, or Hubbard then you can still get them and put Edmunds on the inside. If you have Jefferson, Jewell, Leonard, or Vander Esch in then then you start working Edmunds at EDGE.

I think you stick him outside and develop him.

Dont bounce him around. Draft him to be an edge and stick him there for good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they will drop him lower than a guy who meets their physical thresholds.

I think Landry will go in the 1st round, but would be stunned if the Bears took him over Edmunds or Davenport. Stunned.

I’ve said before if it’s all about the physical traits it’s Davenport. Or Edmunds if they see him as an edge. I just think that as an edge rusher Landry is a better prospect. Not appreciably better, but better. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve said before if it’s all about the physical traits it’s Davenport. Or Edmunds if they see him as an edge. I just think that as an edge rusher Landry is a better prospect. Not appreciably better, but better. 

Whether our guy is Landry, Davenport, Edmunds or even Key (all assuming Chubb is gone) I think edge rusher is the target position. It’s the one we had to address in the draft to get an impact player and the one we haven’t really addressed adequately yet (outside of interior OL, which IMO isn’t a round 1 need). 

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you stick him outside and develop him.

Dont bounce him around. Draft him to be an edge and stick him there for good.

There wasn't any bouncing around there, I was saying he can do either, and if you get an ILB or EDGE in the 2nd round, he can play the other - to get the most talent you can on defense. But even if he would be ILB-bound, he should get to blitz with regularity.

I think we need to keep in mind that Edmunds played in over 30 college games. I know he’s 19 but the guy has extensive experience and still has extremely suspect instincts. 

Talk about the definition of ‘boom or bust’ drafting a guy 8th overall to play a position full time that he’s never played in his life. 

54 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think we need to keep in mind that Edmunds played in over 30 college games. I know he’s 19 but the guy has extensive experience and still has extremely suspect instincts. 

Talk about the definition of ‘boom or bust’ drafting a guy 8th overall to play a position full time that he’s never played in his life. 

Floyd was used off the ball a ton a ton at Georgia and has settled in nicely outside.

If you want a pure ILB I just think you will end up happier with Roquan who has great instincts and awareness and is also a freak athlete.

I really think it'll come down to o-line vs pass rusher with the 8th pick.

I've maintained all along if Nelson is there then he will be the pick no matter what.  If not, I can see Pace and Fangio wanting a guy like Davenport/Landry to play opposite Floyd.

Edmunds is an intriguing athlete but there's just too many variables with him.  Where do you place him?  If Bears wanted a pure LB then why not just pick Roquan Smith?  If they want a pure pass rusher then why not just take Davenport or Landry who both have high ceilings?  Edmunds is a tweener.

Edited by topwop1

2 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Thanks for checking. His weak instincts worry me even more now. Even coaching little league sports you can tell which kids take good angles early on versus those that don't. Which ones can locate the ball and get through traffic and those that can't. The jump from reading college offenses to reading NFL defenses is a big leap.

I'm not sure who I want us to pick yet, but it we do pick Edmunds it almost certainly will have to be an EDGE rusher. Again, given what little I know, I'd put Landry over Edmunds as a EDGE prospect right now. Who knows in a couple of years after Edmunds gets his adult NFL size.

Edited by 51to54

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I really think it'll come down to o-line vs pass rusher with the 8th pick.

I've maintained all along if Nelson is there then he will be the pick no matter what.  If not, I can see Pace and Fangio wanting a guy like Davenport/Landry to play opposite Floyd.

Edmunds is an intriguing athlete but there's just too many variables with him.  Where do you place him?  If Bears wanted a pure LB then why not just pick Roquan Smith?  If they want a pure pass rusher then why not just take Davenport or Landry who both have high ceilings?  Edmunds is a tweener.

It's tough to pick an OG that high and then, assuming he is going to be a long term all-pro level OG, paying that much more into your Oline every season. However, given our questions marks on the Oline and questions about what impact defender will be available at 8, taking a sure thing per my "Trubisky draft rules" with our first and then an EDGE rusher with our second is looking like the safe and solid value play right now.

Having said that, reading more and more buzz about Nelson going before 8.

37 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Thanks for checking. His weak instincts worry me even more now. Even coaching little league sports you can tell which kids take good angles early on versus those that don't. Which runs can locate the ball and get through traffic and those that can't. The jump from reading college offenses to reading NFL defenses is a big leap.

I'm not sure who I want us to pick yet, but it we do pick Edmunds it almost certainly will have to be an EDGE rusher. Again, given what little I know, I'd put Landry over Edmunds as a EDGE prospect right now. Who knows in a couple of years after Edmunds gets his adult NFL size.

Edmunds may be 19, but he's 6'5" 260 lbs.  He has his adult NFL size.  His size isnt the issue, its the projection, bc if you want him to play on the edge, its a pure projection.  If you are playing him inside a) there are issues on tape, b) its not as valuable position wise.