• R2 (35): TE Michael Mayer - 
  • R3 (70): DT Byron Young - 
  • R3 (100): WR Tre Tucker - 
  • R4 (104): CB Jakorian Bennett - 
  • R4 (135): QB Aidan O’Connell - 
  • R5 (170): S Christopher Smith II - 
  • R6 (203): LB Amari Burney - 
  • R7 (231): DT Nesta Jade Silvera - 

I gave it a solid B. Really like Wilson and Mayer picks thought they we good value. Would’ve liked more pass rush chops from a DT but young hast nice burst and upside in the pass game. Hated the Tucker pick. I like Bennett. Understand O Connell even though I’d have preferred someone that could eventually start. Back up Qb is a necessary evil and I rather spend a 4th on a QB than cap space. Smith seems like a player and might become a 3rd safety/ST guy. We can give all the grades we want but l we have to see what they look like vs the big boys. Solid draft, Zeigler did well imo

Here's how I would rank the pick/player

1. R4 (104): CB Jakorian Bennett - very good prospect who was a good player in college and has the potential to really help us out in the back end. Very similar to like an Adoree Jackson who while he doesn't have the coveted height he can jump and has excellent recovery speed. With that said he's the same height as the corner that went fifth overall in the draft and he's more athletic than that guy and played in the same power five conference(therefore he can't be pigeonholed into the nickel role). Great find in the fourth round for sure. What kind of move that moves the needle in the long run. Could be a max Crosby type fourth rounder.(A)

2. R5 (170): S Christopher Smith II - Great football player that plays faster than he tests. On film you're not gonna really find any problems and he was a great player in college. All of his issues are centered around Ken what he did in college translate to the NFL. It seems like he's a good fit for the Patrick Graham thinking man's defense because he's a smart player with really good instincts and tackles well. He's very much like a Chuck Clark or fuller the safety from Ohio State that went to the rams type. The type of player that can start down the line potentially. Very good pick for the fifth round. Could be a Hunter Renfrow type fifth rounder(A-)

3. R2 (35): TE Michael Mayer - Good complete tight end who is limited athletically but he's a good football player and that should start. Like I've mentioned probably 100 times right now the main issues are that 1. In a tight end deep draft, why with all the needs we had did we have to get one in the second round with a lot of good defensive player still left on the board and a lot of defensive needs. 2. TE wasn't even a need a little over a month ago and I thought we addressed it adequately enough to not have to draft one in the second round. (B-)

4. R1 (7): DE Tyree Wilson - what he has going for him right now is that he is a good run stopping bass end but obviously that's not why he was drafted seventh overall he was drafted seven overall because he has 36 inch arms and has a potential to maybe be more than that because of his potential to pass rush inside. As an edge rusher though I think he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of explosiveness and I don't see him being that great on the edge. There's not a lot of guys that get drafted that high that are the inside outside rush types it's more of a theoretical day 2 thing. And if these times don't work out then we just wasted a top 10 pick that we could've used on more of a sure thing that also has potential.(The misconception is that I don't like potential no that's not true I love potential I just like more sure bets with potential). And then of course there's the issue of the foot injury... I hope he proves me wrong(C+)

5. R6 (203): LB Amari Burney - Great athlete that could have really good outside here. Realistically I don't know how this is gonna turn out or if he'll even make the team. But the potential is he could be a starter.(C+)

6. R3 (70): DT Byron Young - Run stopping defensive tackle with the potential to be a pass rusher I feel like we've heard this story before. With better players on the board didn't like this one because well it helps stop the run one of our bigger problem is that we plan a division where two of the three teams are primarily passing teams they don't necessarily even need to run the ball so stopping the run well obviously important shouldn't supersede stopping the pass which is why we should've invested in more things that deal with that higher in the draft(C)

7. R7 (231): DT Nesta Jade Silvera - nose tackle was a need in the seventh round is a good place to be the reason why I put him low is because he's kind of under size for a nose tackle.(C)

8. R3 (100): WR Tre Tucker - there was no need to do this one due to the fact two were already stacked receiver(which to be honest is actually our best position which made this worse) and do it with size he's more than likely never going to start for us which means that his main contribution that he's going to help us is on special teams. Which means that we really drafted a kick returner in the third round (\which if you're not Devin Hester level than it doesn't make sense).(F)

9. R4 (135): QB Aidan O’Connell - we traded up in the fourth round over other glaring needs for someone who's highest potential is a back up quarterback because of "value". Don't need to say more here(F)

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3

• R1 (7): DE Tyree Wilson - A- : value was right at a position of need. 
  • R2 (35): TE Michael Mayer - A- Have a feeling we will all look back on this as a great pick in 5 years
  • R3 (70): DT Byron Young - C+ : I don’t see him washing out of the league but also don’t see him being a difference maker either
  • R3 (100): WR Tre Tucker - D- : Feels like we could have drafted him around 170. Terrible value
  • R4 (104): CB Jakorian Bennett - B+ : Good value and should contribute year 1
  • R4 (135): QB Aidan O’Connell - C : Uninspiring to say the least. 25 years old statue. At least we have a cheap backup
  • R5 (170): S Christopher Smith II - A : Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a starter by year 2/3 making Moehrig expendable
  • R6 (203): LB Amari Burney - B : Good athletic traits at a position of need. Worth a shot this low
  • R7 (231): DT Nesta Jade Silvera - C-: Camp competition and probable Practice Squad body

Overall Grade : B- 

General Commentary: 

Didn’t love every pick but when looking at it holistically we didn’t screw up the first 2 Rounds and generally added solid talent and competition throughout the rest of the draft. In a one-year vacuum it left a little to be desired but this style of drafting extrapolated over 3-4 years will produce a very deep, competitive roster. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Exactly how I would grade it. Like TruetoForm said. This was a very average draft. But I say that in a good way. It was expected, common sense, we clearly had a plan and drafted a style of player.

Would not be at all shocked if 3 years from now we say this was a very good draft class with a very low amount of busts, but then if the coaching turns over they could easily mostly fizzle out with the exception of 1 or 2. 

• Like 4

I don’t think the issue is the players too much rather than the positions taken/not taken. It happens when you have this many holes. Hopefully these guys stick and we dont have as many faring needs going into the off-season next year.