Post-Draft Talk

RaidersAreOne

What do you grade our draft?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you grade our draft?

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If Mayer develops into a Jason Witten/Mark Andrews type player, what's the correct answer then?

Doesn't matter. I'm talking about "how to build a team". Not "let's rely on hindsight". The incorrect way to build a team is to jettison your talent and hope and pray your can find a better player in the draft. As opposed utilizing your talent and adding and developing more. One of these ways is vastly superior to roster building. 

Don't get me wrong, I get why they let him go. I just don't agree with how they've handled the last 2 years. It's been very jeckle and hyde. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good value overall. Can't hate on this draft at all. Good make up. All culture fits. Team first guys who are known workers.

Agreed. It was a true professionals draft. A couple picks that were frustrating given the need at other positions/intriguing prospects on the board, but this is a very nice haul overall.

Early impressions of Ziegler/McD's first full draft are positive. 

54 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Doesn't matter. I'm talking about "how to build a team". Not "let's rely on hindsight". The incorrect way to build a team is to jettison your talent and hope and pray your can find a better player in the draft. As opposed utilizing your talent and adding and developing more. One of these ways is vastly superior to roster building. 

Don't get me wrong, I get why they let him go. I just don't agree with how they've handled the last 2 years. It's been very jeckle and hyde. 

Agreed. 

Hindsight is a rabbit hole. 

You could pick any Draft, find our selection, find a guy taken after our pick that becomes a HoF type guy, and make an argument that we should've taken him while jettisoning someone we had. 

There's a reason they say hindsight is never wrong. 

I think we had a solid draft. Like many others, I heavily questioned the Tucker pick. Really wished we took an OL there. I really can't fathom how we think our OL room is good to go. There's not much else in FA, so unless we are rolling with Bars again (yuck), they're really going to rely on Muti (yikes). Not a lot of proven players in the OL room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

The right way to build your team is to get rid of overpaid, underperforming players, use that money elsewhere and draft their replacement. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

The right way to build your team is to get rid of overpaid, underperforming players, use that money elsewhere and draft their replacement. 

But the only reason he was overpaid was because 7 months before they designated him "overpriced underperforming" they gave him an overpriced contract due to his performance. ...It's just odd. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NickButera said:

But the only reason he was overpaid was because 7 months before they designated him "overpriced underperforming" they gave him an overpriced contract due to his performance. ...It's just odd. 

Yup but he underperformed again so they got rid of him. Better to cut loose than continue with a mistake, same with Carr if both had performed they would still be here, they didn’t, they aren’t. We now need to get on with the job of moving on and replacing them. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NickButera said:

You blame them for trying to keep what yall called a playoff team together. I can imagine if they came in and just got rid of Waller immediately how this forum would have exploded.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

TE was a need regardless of Waller in my view. Waller was aging, injured and hadn't been on the field much the last 2 seasons. There was no depth behind him.

This offseason feels more calculated. I chalk year 1 up to them thinking they could run it back with Gruden's guys only to find out who they all were. Now we're firmly in their construction phase. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

Not to mention we traded Waller for Tre Tucker, who was a major reach and is more likely then not to only be a KR plus a handful of snaps at WR.

If your going to trade away established highly productive players you have to at least 1) get good trade value for them 2) draft well with that pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not to mention we traded Waller for Tre Tucker, who was a major reach and is more likely then not to only be a KR plus a handful of snaps at WR.

If your going to trade away established highly productive players you have to at least 1) get good trade value for them 2) draft well with that pick.

Hated the 3rd round and O’Connell picks. I liked the rest of the draft 

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Waller hasn’t been ‘highly productive’ for 2 seasons though. We obviously will have to wait and see on Tucker. 

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Waller hasn’t been ‘highly productive’ for 2 seasons though. We obviously will have to wait and see on Tucker. 

Of the first few picks, Tucker is probably going to have the hardest time justifying his draft slot, especially if he's mostly confined to KR/PR. Unless he's Devin Hester, it's probably going to be a few years through no fault of his own. He's not there to beat Adams or Meyers and probably backs up WR3. 

With an offense run by Jimmy G (for now) and featuring Adams, Meyers, numerous pass catching backs, and at least 1 TE (seriously, if Hooper can play, can we run more 2 TE sets like they did with Gronk and he who shall not be named?). Gotta feel for the guy because the pick (pick, not player unless you're a real jerk) is probably going to be hated almost no matter what he winds up doing within reason. 

17 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Honestly if they had just taken Bennett at 100 then let Tucker come to them at 109 no trade up it would look less silly. If the CB had came first everybody would be like good we got defense. The optic would look slightly better.

• Like 1