Post-Draft Talk

RaidersAreOne

What do you grade our draft?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you grade our draft?

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I can see that perspective though I think his projection could be really, really high if he learns some finesse and improves his technique. Great pick where he went I feel!

Good value for sure where he was picked. Great landing spot with 2 vet corners in Philly. 

Problem is, he's very stiff so he has struggles in both man and zone coverage. Smaller WRs gave him fits. Safety is probably the best spot for him.

• Like 1

What's the feeling around Amari Burney's chances of becoming something at LB? Good athletic profile, but not very experienced. Don't know too much else about him, but considering the lack of talent in the LB room, I feel like he has a puncher's chance to make the team.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

After the draft and free agency I think the roster is worse than it was last season. 

I don't consider Waller a massive loss since he's been largely unavailable the past two seasons. We took arguably the best all-around TE in the draft to replace him. Plus I think we strengthened our WR core.

They replaced Carr with Jimmy G

Epps for Harmon

Spillane for Perryman

Ya-Sin for presumably Shelley/Long

Roughly the same OL

Honestly, I think it's a wash. I'm hopeful that Jimmy's fit with McDaniels proves to be fruitful and we see an uptick in scoring.

Edited by Justwinning

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

After the draft and free agency I think the roster is worse than it was last season. 

It's hard to argue on paper, for sure.

CB, LB, and S all seem to have downgraded on D. 

Between TEs and WRs, we're possibly breaking even all things considered (not factoring in a potential Renfrow trade).

The OL looks the same and that's not a particularly good thing. 

RB is a downgrade by proxy due to time for now- Abdulla and Bolden aren't gonna bring anything new. Jacobs and White are the only ones to have shown much. 

QB probably downgraded a bit, though I'm willing to call it a wash for now. I'll  cut Jimmy G some slack until he proves himself a real downgrade. 

Overall, not a good look for anyone who feels Josh and Dave needed to crush the off season. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

What's the feeling around Amari Burney's chances of becoming something at LB? Good athletic profile, but not very experienced. Don't know too much else about him, but considering the lack of talent in the LB room, I feel like he has a puncher's chance to make the team.

He will make it because the Linebackers suck beyond Deablo and Spillane.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It’s just crazy that we had like the third most cap space and 12 draft picks. And at best our roster is probably on par but probably worse than it was when they inherited the team. 

Not....ideal. I get people wanting to be patient or optimistic, but what have they accomplished? 

Folks say we gotta give it 3 years, but at this point we're going to be lucky to totally break even with what they inherited by the end of year 3, which is an incomplete team that might luck into a playoff game. 2021 was a wild ride that we took advantage of, but that was not a "playoff team" on a consistent basis. 

2 draft classes and we have an aging WR, a LG, an Edge that some people love and some are skeptical about, a TEOTF, and some hope and prayer talent from later rounds, many of whom project as deep reserves and rotational guys at best. 

Or do we have to give it 3 years from 3 years since you can't start judging until year 3 and it takes at least 3 years to adequately judge, but then it's really 4 years because year 3 after year 3 would just be the starting point, so really we gotta give McDaniels and Co. at least 6 or 7 more years to have had a "fair shot" at "getting their guys" and "installing the Patriot Way"? Or is it 8 since year 1 was clearly misjudged by them? I'm just asking the ethereal powers that be here to clarify exactly when it becomes acceptable to criticize the job that has been done....

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not....ideal. I get people wanting to be patient or optimistic, but what have they accomplished? 

Folks say we gotta give it 3 years, but at this point we're going to be lucky to totally break even with what they inherited by the end of year 3, which is an incomplete team that might luck into a playoff game. 2021 was a wild ride that we took advantage of, but that was not a "playoff team" on a consistent basis. 

2 draft classes and we have an aging WR, a LG, an Edge that some people love and some are skeptical about, a TEOTF, and some hope and prayer talent from later rounds, many of whom project as deep reserves and rotational guys at best. 

Or do we have to give it 3 years from 3 years since you can't start judging until year 3 and it takes at least 3 years to adequately judge, but then it's really 4 years because year 3 after year 3 would just be the starting point, so really we gotta give McDaniels and Co. at least 6 or 7 more years to have had a "fair shot" at "getting their guys" and "installing the Patriot Way"? Or is it 8 since year 1 was clearly misjudged by them? I'm just asking the ethereal powers that be here to clarify exactly when it becomes acceptable to criticize the job that has been done....

Don't speak about BP fathers like that

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's hard to argue on paper, for sure.

CB, LB, and S all seem to have downgraded on D. 

Between TEs and WRs, we're possibly breaking even all things considered (not factoring in a potential Renfrow trade).

The OL looks the same and that's not a particularly good thing. 

RB is a downgrade by proxy due to time for now- Abdulla and Bolden aren't gonna bring anything new. Jacobs and White are the only ones to have shown much. 

QB probably downgraded a bit, though I'm willing to call it a wash for now. I'll  cut Jimmy G some slack until he proves himself a real downgrade. 

Overall, not a good look for anyone who feels Josh and Dave needed to crush the off season. 

CB and S improved. Better depth overall with capable starters. Missing that clear CB1, which was the case a year ago. 

LB - Downgrade when Perryman was on the field. Wash when he was not. The LBs were Perryman and a bunch of scrubs. But he couldn't stay on the field. Now it's a bunch of scrubs and you hope the young guys can take a step up.  

WR/TE - upgraded with Meyers addition. Better depth at TE with Hooper and Mayer

Oline looks the same, but Mayer will be an upgrade inline as a blocker at TE. 

The offseason was about rebuilding. I think they did a good job getting better depth with potential for guys like Young, Wilson, Smith and Bennett to have an impact this season. Offense will be potent. Defense will suspect, but with some potential in the young group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It’s just crazy that we had like the third most cap space and 12 draft picks. And at best our roster is probably on par but probably worse than it was when they inherited the team. 

On the face of it, it’s a little underwhelming for sure but, of course, we simply don’t know how the draft picks project. The free agents we know a little more about it there’s no sure fire impact guys there either.

If they hit big on Wilson as a lot of people think, that will be huge. Mayer looks like a very high floor player who’ll help the OLine and Waller hardly played last year and when he did was error strewn. 

Im not a fan of all the additions to the WR core, seems like a lot of moving of chairs without actually moving the needle much. Adams is still the lone #1  and target magnet and Renfrow I hope stays. Myers is a decent receiver but we lost Hollins who had a bit of a break out year. The others are just interchangeable maybe.

QB is obviously a downgrade, that’s even if he stays on the field 😟 not much more to say about that.

DLine could be a downgrade if Wilson is not ready and Young doesn’t come straight out the box firing. We let a good young NT go and the replacements are very much a mystery right now. I don’t have belief in last years rookies.

DB is another question really, I like the young rookie but he’s a 4th rounder for a reason and it’s not sensible to expect a big impact from a rookie mid round CB. The guys they brought in could be something but they could equally just be warm bodies. I think we’ll miss Ya Sin as he was actually pretty decent. I like Smith but we need a step up from Moehrig. Seems a bit like WR to me, lots of transactions but have we really improved? I’m not sure.

The OLine of course has just been left……..

So in summary, I see an awful lot of moves but very few that actually have the potential to change the course of the franchise. Garoppolo, Epps, Mayer, Wilson, Young and Bennett all have the potential to really make a difference but will they and how long will the rookies take to blossom is the question?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Im not a fan of all the additions to the WR core, seems like a lot of moving of chairs without actually moving the needle much. Adams is still the lone #1  and target magnet and Renfrow I hope stays. Myers is a decent receiver but we lost Hollins who had a bit of a break out year. The others are just interchangeable maybe.

Meyers is a solid upgrade over Hollins who consistently ran the wrong route and was pretty limited in his tree. Meyers was the top WR in FA for a reason, he can play and should haul in a lot of balls opposite Adams. 

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Meyers is a solid upgrade over Hollins who consistently ran the wrong route and was pretty limited in his tree. Meyers was the top WR in FA for a reason, he can play and should haul in a lot of balls opposite Adams. 

Just don’t let him lateral the ball 😁

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, Dessie said:

Yup but he underperformed again so they got rid of him. Better to cut loose than continue with a mistake, same with Carr if both had performed they would still be here, they didn’t, they aren’t. We now need to get on with the job of moving on and replacing them. 

McDaniels has also underperformed up to this point in his HC career. After this season if he underperforms again we move on and replace him. 'Z' will be evaluated on his HC search. 

Plain and simple...WE NEED TO WIN!  This fanbase will never unite without WINS!