Post-Draft Talk

RaidersAreOne

What do you grade our draft?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What do you grade our draft?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Of the first few picks, Tucker is probably going to have the hardest time justifying his draft slot, especially if he's mostly confined to KR/PR. Unless he's Devin Hester, it's probably going to be a few years through no fault of his own. He's not there to beat Adams or Meyers and probably backs up WR3. 

With an offense run by Jimmy G (for now) and featuring Adams, Meyers, numerous pass catching backs, and at least 1 TE (seriously, if Hooper can play, can we run more 2 TE sets like they did with Gronk and he who shall not be named?). Gotta feel for the guy because the pick (pick, not player unless you're a real jerk) is probably going to be hated almost no matter what he winds up doing within reason. 

Agreed, definitely a pick I didn’t like but we’ve now got to wait and see what the kid does. 

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Of the first few picks, Tucker is probably going to have the hardest time justifying his draft slot, especially if he's mostly confined to KR/PR. Unless he's Devin Hester, it's probably going to be a few years through no fault of his own. He's not there to beat Adams or Meyers and probably backs up WR3. 

With an offense run by Jimmy G (for now) and featuring Adams, Meyers, numerous pass catching backs, and at least 1 TE (seriously, if Hooper can play, can we run more 2 TE sets like they did with Gronk and he who shall not be named?). Gotta feel for the guy because the pick (pick, not player unless you're a real jerk) is probably going to be hated almost no matter what he winds up doing within reason. 

I can see Tucker get in the slot spelling Carter from time to time.

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Agreed, definitely a pick I didn’t like but we’ve now got to wait and see what the kid does. 

I'm going to need him to run the jet sweep for us.  I think he has the potential to do well running it for us a couple of times a game.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

You think the Raiders are pick 1 or 2 overall? 

If Jimmy G gets hurt early, we very well could be. I don't think we're going to be that bad if he starts 13+ games. But realistically I can see him missing 3-7 games from injury and our record is pretty bad. I really don't see Hoyer winning us a lot of games, if any

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If Mayer develops into a Jason Witten/Mark Andrews type player, what's the correct answer then?

I mean technically yes but he hasn't. If we want to argue that Waller was an injured malcontent, then I don't disagree. But trading him was definitely a "win later" move. That being said, I like how we're drafting for sustainable success, taking the best player available, value positions, etc.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean technically yes but he hasn't. If we want to argue that Waller was an injured malcontent, then I don't disagree. But trading him was definitely a "win later" move. That being said, I like how we're drafting for sustainable success, taking the best player available, value positions, etc.

The win now move was extending him then watch him stay hurt all season. What were they supposed to do risk it again. He'd be worthless after this season if he doesn't stay healthy, then watch everybody scream we should have traded after the season.

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

The win now move was extending him then watch him stay hurt all season. What were they supposed to do risk it again. He'd be worthless after this season if he doesn't stay healthy, then watch everybody scream we should have traded after the season.

It's also possible that he bounces back big time this year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He has been an injury issue for like 3 years leading into the season. 

Easy answer: Don't resign him to a big deal to start with. Nothing wrong with a new regime doing a quick "prove it" deal. 

Like I've said before, I don't believe that production or cost played a very big role in the move to begin with. Nothing they'd done up to that point indicated they intended to move him. McDaniels got his ego bruised, and they shipped him off. The most direct line of causation is that it was an ego trip that they then had to try and rectify. And it aligns with a very substantial amount of things said about how Josh has historically conducted business. 

Don't resign injury risks to big deals and don't ship people off for the sake of the manchild's ego. That's really not particularly difficult to achieve. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's also possible that he bounces back big time this year. 

My question is:

They paid him to be the highest paid TE in the league coming off on injury and a down year. The entire passing game was a mess and his injury hadn't fully healed up yet for the 2022 season. But that played zero role in why they resigned him to start with. 

Is he, too, not allowed at least 3 years to see how it goes? I mean, Waller has proven more as a TE than either Zeigler as a GM or McDaniels as a HC, no? 

A lot of selective calls for patience going on, it would seem. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

My question is:

They paid him to be the highest paid TE in the league coming off on injury and a down year. The entire passing game was a mess and his injury hadn't fully healed up yet for the 2022 season. But that played zero role in why they resigned him to start with. 

Is he, too, not allowed at least 3 years to see how it goes? I mean, Waller has proven more as a TE than either Zeigler as a GM or McDaniels as a HC, no? 

A lot of selective calls for patience going on, it would seem. 

Oh definitely. The jury is still out on these guys. I'm not blindly defending it. But I do think they deserve a fair shake.